Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

cson wrote: »
    A draw, preferably 0-0, would be a good result against Napoli. They're flying at the minute.

At the same time they drew 1-1 at home to Sassuolo straight after beating Milan 1-2, in archetypal Benitez style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

dfx- wrote: »
    At the same time they drew 1-1 at home to Sassuolo straight after beating Milan 1-2, in archetypal Benitez style.

sassuolos' coach or someone was apparently showing them the betting odds before the game, they were 20/1
    background for people who don't know: they were beat 7-0 at home by inter last week

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Dercola wrote: »
    Hey guys, was just wondering if any of you's could help me out! I'm heading over to the Napoli game on Tuesday and I bought the tickets through the clubs ticket exchange. Now in my infinite hungoverness from the Cork game yesterday, I cannot make sense of the email i got with the booking confirmation. Should I have gotten tickets in the post, an email or something by now? Or is it a case of rolling up on match day with my red members card and the booking confirmation? Any help is appreciated as I'm having on of my slow days. Cheers

My understanding is that your membership card will be activated with entry. I assume if you bought two tickets you had to provide two membership numbers and therefore need both cards to gain access

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Usually you just rock up with Red Member card (and make sure you know where your seat is!). Having said that, for Stoke my mate and his other half were sent tickets in the post. Odd considering I went to the same game with just the card!

They have those guys outside the ground that scan your card and let you know what seats you're in - so you get in the right area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Just thinking, its mad what a few weeks in football can do, after the Villa game most of us where on the verge of a breakdown and now here we are a month down the line sitting cosily on the top. I know we have a few nice fixtures coming up in the league on paper but lets just take one game at a time as we know all too well how quickly it can change. COYG!!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is there a belief among Arsenal fans that ye can seriously challenge for the title this season? I know it's early, but ye are the most consistent team in 2013 overall and playing good stuff. I see some stuff posted in other threads where people are saying that utd are not out of the title race by any means (which they obviously aren't yet) because of City and Chelsea's mixed starts themselves, but little talk of Arsenal as real challengers.

I think that the winning total will be lower than it has been the last few seasons, with low 80's being realistically a winning one and see little reason why Arsenal won't be there or thereabouts. That the general feeling here too or are people being cautious in their optimism so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

If Giroud stays injury free and / or we sign another striker in the January window, there is no reason why Arsenal can't win the league. Liverpool and Chelsea coming up before Christmas at home and Man City away will tell us where we really are at. 6 points from those and we'll be in the driving seat. The rest of the games look winnable up to Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

hope Dzeko gets dropped out of the City team and we go for him in January, be a terrific signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Raf32 wrote: »
    hope Dzeko gets dropped out of the City team and we go for him in January, be a terrific signing.

I doubt City would sell to us if we were still in the title race in January.

BVaNGQOCIAI7zlQ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

5starpool wrote: »
    Is there a belief among Arsenal fans that ye can seriously challenge for the title this season? I know it's early, but ye are the most consistent team in 2013 overall and playing good stuff. I see some stuff posted in other threads where people are saying that utd are not out of the title race by any means (which they obviously aren't yet) because of City and Chelsea's mixed starts themselves, but little talk of Arsenal as real challengers.

I think that the winning total will be lower than it has been the last few seasons, with low 80's being realistically a winning one and see little reason why Arsenal won't be there or thereabouts. That the general feeling here too or are people being cautious in their optimism so far?

i think it's the fact that the other 'top six' are underperforming that's giving us the confidence that we'll win the league. a change in form from any of the other parties and us and we're fecked IMO.

we should give up on the CL in the group stages to concentrate in the league - to spare us the usual febrary blues when we get knocked out of it, gthe FA cup and lose the final of the LC - providing we beat chelski.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

ask me that same question Around March and i will be able to answer.

right now at a minimum i have a strong belief we will finish top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Dercola wrote: »
    Hey guys, was just wondering if any of you's could help me out! I'm heading over to the Napoli game on Tuesday and I bought the tickets through the clubs ticket exchange. Now in my infinite hungoverness from the Cork game yesterday, I cannot make sense of the email i got with the booking confirmation. Should I have gotten tickets in the post, an email or something by now? Or is it a case of rolling up on match day with my red members card and the booking confirmation? Any help is appreciated as I'm having on of my slow days. Cheers

You should have got tickets posted to you because all CL matches have paper tickets, even the qualifiers have them(i went to the home return qualifier a month ago).

i will be going to the Dortmound home leg. CANNOT WAIT!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

newbie2 wrote: »
    i think it's the fact that the other 'top six' are underperforming that's giving us the confidence that we'll win the league. a change in form from any of the other parties and us and we're fecked IMO.

we should give up on the CL in the group stages to concentrate in the league - to spare us the usual febrary blues when we get knocked out of it, gthe FA cup and lose the final of the LC - providing we beat chelski.

Giving up on the CL in the group stages would be madness, from both a financial and footballing point of view imo. We've a decent chance of winning it this year or at least getting further than usual if we sustain our form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

The old guard

273866.jpg

It's as if Flamini never left. He's continued just where he left off.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Giving up on the CL in the group stages would be madness, from both a financial and footballing point of view imo. We've a decent chance of winning it this year or at least getting further than usual if we sustain our form.
    That's crazy talk. We've no chance of winning it.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Does Pires work for the club now?

Nah he just trains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

This post = mind blown

Not making any title calls this early myself but your logic is outrageous. Other teams form is irrelevant if ours stays good. If others had started off better we would still be up the top, we have 15 from 18 for god sake.

2nd part of your post is even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think no-one really knows what to expect. It's been that long since we've witnessed title challenging consistency.

We've put together great runs in the last two years but finished 4th. There are some mitigating circumstances to this season like we didn't lose our best player and it's actually a run that started last year but ultimately no-one knows of this team have the character for a title challenge.

For me that's a bigger factor than potentially losing Giroud or Mert. It's said that you have to lose one to win one and it's an area that no-one at Arsenal has ever been tested in.

I mean if that Swans game was to say open a three point gap with a few games left in the year, would they have come out and just turned it on at the start of the second half?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

While we're on our best run ever you want to deliberately foster a culture of losing?

Yeah, sounds like a good plan.

I think we probably need another striker, but then again, we haven't seen Cazorla and Ozil play together yet, and I really think those two in the team at the same time could take us up a level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If I remember correctly, the second half table from last season had us a point behind United. Given the starts for each side, I'm fairly sure we are top for 2013. Hopefully we can say the same in about 8 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

We'll know by the december whether we'll challenge or not, November always was a bad month for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We'll know by the december whether we'll challenge or not, November always was a bad month for us.

I don't buy into the November thing at all. Superstitious rubbish in my opinion.
    Get out and win your games no matter what month it is.
    One game at a time is the way to take it. All cup finals and 100% effort by everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Ramsey this season has shown the benefit of a player gettting an extended run in their best position, unlike in the past where we had both Arshavin and Bendtner wasted operating on the wings.
    Difficult to see the balance of the side when everyone fit as needing to include some pace in the side as well as protection in front of the back four and the issue that so many playmakers Ozil,Wilshere,Carzola and Rosiciky all available.

I don't buy into the November thing at all. Superstitious rubbish in my opinion.
    Get out and win your games no matter what month it is.
    One game at a time is the way to take it. All cup finals and 100% effort by everyone.

Our form often slumps in November. Regardless of superstition or anything else, it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Ramsey this season has shown the benefit of a player gettting an extended run in their best position, unlike in the past where we had both Arshavin and Bendtner wasted operating on the wings.
    Difficult to see the balance of the side when everyone fit as needing to include some pace in the side as well as protection in front of the back four and the issue that so many playmakers Ozil,Wilshere,Carzola and Rosiciky all available.

I don't think there's much doubt on our first choice 11 at all.

Woj
    Sagna Kos Mert Gibbs
    Ramsey Arteta
    Walcott Ozil Santi
    Giroud

The only question is maybe Flamini instead of Arteta. Beyond that it picks itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    Our form often slumps in November. Regardless of superstition or anything else, it happens.

Time to look into it then and address it.
    Why November and not April?
    No sense to it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

You should have got tickets posted to you because all CL matches have paper tickets, even the qualifiers have them(i went to the home return qualifier a month ago).

i will be going to the Dortmound home leg. CANNOT WAIT!

Season tickets are on the cards not paper tickets.

I see Rosicky getting less game time than anyone else, once everyone is fit. Once Cazorla is back to full fitness, I can see Wilshere getting a few games on the bench as he has played a lot this season and he'll definitely need a break especially if he plays both games for England. After that as long as we keep going in all cup competitions there should be enough game time for everyone.

Time to look into it then and address it.
    Why November and not April?
    No sense to it in my opinion.

Probably not down to a single issue. Injuries, amount of games being played at that time, causing tired legs and minds, especially after difficult European away fixtures.... ?

Napoli will beat us tomorrow night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Thanks for that. Could you elaborate why?

Shall we tell UEFA to hand them a 2 - 0 win and save them the bother of flying over. That will also keep our legs fresh for the trip to West Brom :rolleyes:

You can get lost with the "us" bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

Buzz_Killington.jpg

• Advertisement

Napoli are very good yes, but i think we are overestimating them, they compete in an awful league and for a traditional Italian team are pretty poor at the back, plus the fact we are at home and are capable of beating anyone of the big boys, which i classify napoli as not being a part of, more like the next tier down.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That's crazy talk. We've no chance of winning it.

Course we do, it's a cup competition. I remember a liverpool side not so long ago that had no chance of winning it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

what's the point of this ****e?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Gutted can't watch the match tomorrow night as I have a management meeting for our Apartment block to go to. I think we should get a result against Napoli tomorrow night, hopefully with Ozil getting his first Arsenal goal :)

(yes I am an optimist!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ramsey 8 (4)
    Giroud 5 (4)
    Podolski 2 (2)
    Gnarnby 1 (1)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Mertesacker 1 (1)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Walcott 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

Sorry for being late. No sign of Mr. Owen Goal yet either.

Walcott needs to pull the finger out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Comparing two Welsh stars...

Aaron Ramsey already has one third the total number of goals Gareth Bale scored last season, in one fifth of the amount of games. He's two years younger, and also missed a year or so due to injury.

Just sayin........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Aaron Ramsey already has one third the total number of goals Gareth Bale scored last season, in one fifth of the amount of games. He's two years younger, and also missed a year or so due to injury.

Just sayin........

Cue €200 Million bid from Real Madrid next summer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Walcott needs to pull the finger out!

Hes injured in fairness.

Ive no doubt Walcott will get plenty of goals this season. He has got in great positions so far this season. The goals will come.

Just sayin........

If he keeps it up they'll sell him at the end of the season for 200m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Just sayin........

To be fair to Bale though he was playing in a team full of donkeys :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement