Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If he keeps it up they'll sell him at the end of the season for 200m.

no discussion about selling players, please!!!!!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Walcott needs to pull the finger out!

He's one of those lads who tends to go on a goal scoring run once he gets one. Sadly, he got injured this time 'round.

Wales 8 (4)
    France 6 (5)
    Germany 5 (4)
    England 2 (0)

(league goals in brackets)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think March is alot worse than November its usually when we got out of the Champions League and the FA Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Gonna be a tough league this year, the smaller teams are doing very well, only a matter of time before the Manchester clubs get their act together and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I think we will beat Napoli tomorrow ill go with 2-1 :).
    5starpool wrote: »
    Is there a belief among Arsenal fans that ye can seriously challenge for the title this season? I know it's early, but ye are the most consistent team in 2013 overall and playing good stuff. I see some stuff posted in other threads where people are saying that utd are not out of the title race by any means (which they obviously aren't yet) because of City and Chelsea's mixed starts themselves, but little talk of Arsenal as real challengers.

I think that the winning total will be lower than it has been the last few seasons, with low 80's being realistically a winning one and see little reason why Arsenal won't be there or thereabouts. That the general feeling here too or are people being cautious in their optimism so far?

I think there is an air of optimism growing amongst fans that we can challenge but everyone is trying to remain calm and not get to excited. I myself thought we could challenge during the summer given our form the second half of last season if we signed two or three players, we signed Flamini who has turned out to be a super signing and suprised most, Ozil is Ozil. Gnabry appears to be stepping up. Our strength in midfield is terrific.

I think we are only lacking a CF but if we can stay relatively injury free I'm confident we can that and all the uncertainty surrounding Chelsea and City with new managers had and will helps for the time being at least and I've never thought United's squad was strong enough the last few years they had the Ferguson effect on there side.

I also love that Chelsea, United fans etc are still writing us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Can you imagine if chelsea had a player like Lukaku.

Oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

he'll have 2 years left on his deal at the end of the season. Mou won't let him go but i'd love a player like him. if he stays injury free i'd hope Sanogo can develop into a player like that - but i think it wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Chelsea's own player sends Everton above Chelsea in the table :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

newbie2 wrote: »
    Napoli will beat us tomorrow night.

I honestly cant believe an Arsenal fan said this???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

When Giroud gets injured, we are -screw-ed.

TheCoolWay wrote: »

Not at all. In all the games hes scored in we still would have won had he not scored, bar the Spurs game. We have goals in us all over the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Not at all. In all the games hes scored in we still would have won had he not scored, bar the Spurs game. We have goals in us all over the pitch.

not just goals though, his overall play, holding the ball up, bringing everyone into play, flicks and great passes to tee up onrushing midfielders, would be a massive loss tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I can see teams fouling him as much as possible in the coming months if we keep going as we are.

Raf32 wrote: »
    not just goals though, his overall play, holding the ball up, bringing everyone into play, flicks and great passes to tee up onrushing midfielders, would be a massive loss tbh

I agree but I would not say we are screwed without him, far from it.

no agreed but it would have to be nicky that would replace him, need a player similar to him its the way this team is built now.

It's a confidence thing though. Team has become comfortable knowing he is up there and I think if he went missing for a few we would stutter a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

no agreed but it would have to be nicky that would replace him, need a player similar to him its the way this team is built now.

I say he'd put Ozil up front or Gnabry before putting that muppet there.

ramblings that Higuain out tomorrow, be good news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

ramblings that Higuain out tomorrow, be good news!

Italian journalist Ivan Zazzaroni posted on Twitter that Higuain was out. Good news indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Probably would be Nicky. Can't see him playing Akpom from the start. Giroud will have to get a rest every so often..... Demba Ba would have been a solid squad player shame we didn't get him.

not that it wasnt already but i fully expect and hope 3 points!

Probably would be Nicky. Can't see him playing Akpom from the start. Giroud will have to get a rest every so often..... Demba Ba would have been a solid squad player shame we didn't get him.

yup was raging when we were first linked to him but he would have been another vital signing along the lines of flamini perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I just heard what nickname the Roma fans call Gervinho...

"The Curtains"

Brilliant!!

read on BBC that Gervinho scored 2 for Roma as they continued their 100% reign at the top of Serie A. I'm happy for the lad but WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????

Gervinho slowly but surely guaranteed his place in the Roma side since joining.

Galvasean wrote: »
    read on BBC that Gervinho scored 2 for Roma as they continued their 100% reign at the top of Serie A. I'm happy for the lad but WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????

Manager he is comfortable with and knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Anyone think Wenger will try Podolski up front when he comes back?

• Advertisement

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Anyone think Wenger will try Podolski up front when he comes back?

No. Too ineffective.

Giroud brings a huge presence and his build-up play is pristine. Podolski can be absent a lot and you can't afford that in centre forward.

Hence why himself and Walcott are on the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

cathalio11 wrote: »
    No. Too ineffective.

Giroud brings a huge presence and his build-up play is pristine. Podolski can be absent a lot and you can't afford that in centre forward.

Hence why himself and Walcott are on the wings.

Can't play Giroud in every game though. Just wondering would Podolski be a better option than Bendtner, although I did think Bendtner's link up play was good enough against West Brom - played some nice through balls.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Can't play Giroud in every game though. Just wondering would Podolski be a better option than Bendtner, although I did think Bendtner's link up play was good enough against West Brom - played some nice through balls.

For sure, Podolski is a much better choice than Bendtner in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

FFS, this thread needs to get some perspective FFS.

8 weeks ago we were going on about how **** the team was and how we need to sign a striker, defender and possible goalkeeper. Wenger goes out and buys another midfielder and this thread is pissing themelves at ozil.

We win a few games (fulham, spurs, sunderland , stoke and swansea) in the league, beat fenerbache (who?) in the CL qualifiers and scrape past marseille in the group stages. Suddenly we're world beaters and looking to win the league and the CL???? FFS - get a ****ing grip.

We are still the side that just about finished 4th last season. Ozil isnt the messiah and his performances have been mediocre so far. We've been lucky we've met some poor sides and we're certainly not crushing oppisition. We need to take off the red sunglasses and look at where we're at.

We still need ot play both Manchester teams and liverpool/everton and chleski. We've played possibly the worst team (bar us) in our CL group and still have to play Napoli (who we were lucky to draw with in the emirates cup) and dortmund.

Spurs last leason was our last real test - apart from spurs this season. I'm not counting the Bayer Munich game as it was a fluke IMO. All we can tell from this is that we're better than spurs.

I dont want to be 'one pf those posters', but FFS, I'm realistic. I've been a supporter for a long time, named my dog after wenger, was in the emirates for our only defeat this season, will be going over next month, watch every game - including every youth/reserve games I can, but I can't help but feel -we're not really good enough.

I'm sorry if I piss some of you off, but I'm pretty much convinced in my own conviction. Yes I hope we beat napoli tomorrw - but I doubt we will. Yes I'm happy we are having a good run - but there's a reason and it's not because we're good IMO, it's because the opposition aren't as good as us.

EDIT

Obligitory pic of Wenger the dog attached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Our top four goalscorers last season were Walcott, Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla. So yes, if Giroud gets injured before the other 3 are back, we are in trouble. But so would any team which lost its four top scorers from the previous season.

Anything less than a win against these minnows Napoli is unacceptable! Games we should be winning etc etc etc...

:pac:

You know what fcuk it I will

The following I would not call perspective.
    8 weeks ago we were going on about how **** the team was and how we need to sign a striker, defender and possible goalkeeper. Wenger goes out and buys another midfielder and this thread is pissing themelves at ozil.

Not many said the team was **** there was anger at the loss but many including myself thought all summer we were two or three players short of a challenge. Many like myself said all along we did not need a Goalkeeper and a defender would be a nice luxury we needed attacking players despite what the media types our defensive record was brilliant last year we lacked goals and creativity. Yes we did need a striker and still do but we bought arguably the best no10 in the world who will provide goals who despite not reaching his best yet has already provided plenty of assists and Flamini who has proved to be a seriously shrewd piece of business.

We win a few games (fulham, spurs, sunderland , stoke and swansea) in the league, beat fenerbache (who?) in the CL qualifiers and scrape past marseille in the group stages. Suddenly we're world beaters and looking to win the league and the CL???? FFS - get a ****ing grip.

Since when is 1 loss in 19 a few games? Can we challenge yes will we win we will see it's a long season ahead.
    We are still the side that just about finished 4th last season. Ozil isnt the messiah and his performances have been mediocre so far. We've been lucky we've met some poor sides and we're certainly not crushing oppisition. We need to take off the red sunglasses and look at where we're at.

I love this if we beat a side there poor sides which seem to always be the fall back of these kind of arguments.
    We still need ot play both Manchester teams and liverpool/everton and chleski. We've played possibly the worst team (bar us) in our CL group and still have to play Napoli (who we were lucky to draw with in the emirates cup) and dortmund.

On current form I think we would beat both Manchester clubs and Chelsea on current form. Everton and Liverpool would be harder tasks. Since when is a pre season friendly a good barometer of a match up used to bash a team saying we barely drew with?
    Spurs last leason was our last real test - apart from spurs this season. I'm not counting the Bayer Munich game as it was a fluke IMO. All we can tell from this is that we're better than spurs.

All we can tell from this is were better than Spurs who are currently 3rd? A side Chelsea managed a draw with? Oh and of coarse the one time we beat a side you rate it was clearly a fluke jasus.

I dont want to be 'one pf those posters', but FFS, I'm realistic. I've been a supporter for a long time, named my dog after wenger, was in the emirates for our only defeat this season, will be going over next month, watch every game - including every youth/reserve games I can, but I can't help but feel -we're not really good enough.

I don't count this post as realistic I can handle people saying were weak here and there on certain positiosn etc but coming in here ranting and raving FFS every two seconds does not make you realistic and some of you points just make you look like you have lost the plot and all sense of rational.
    I'm sorry if I piss some of you off, but I'm pretty much convinced in my own conviction. Yes I hope we beat napoli tomorrw - but I doubt we will. Yes I'm happy we are having a good run - but there's a reason and it's not because we're good IMO, it's because the opposition aren't as good as us.

So the oppossition haven't been as good as us isn't that kind of the point of football? Apart from the Bayern game which we fluked of coarse but we are better than Spurs who are 3rd in the league have I got this right? Or maybe Spurs have been lucky to and really were both shiit?
    EDIT

Obligitory pic of Wenger the dog attached

Not all of us were going on about "how **** the team was". We have the most amount of points in the Premier League in 2013, since January this year. Thats not a fluke, we are also top of the table so far this year. Ideally when we bought Ozil I was disappointed we didn't buy another striker, I admit that but so far Giroud has been awesome and we have Podolski coming back too, not to mention we are a team that has several players that can score goals for us from other positions, Walcott, Santi, Ramsey etc. We are not totally dependant on a striker.

We bought a goalkeeper, a backup keeper because Scez is good enough.
    We have Verm coming back from injury, looks good... Sagna can fill in at CB if needs be and has done already and doing a fine job. Mert and Kos have been great this season too.

Spurs... you mean Spurs who spent what 130 million in the summer and our main rivals. Also we played Fulham AWAY, Sunderland AWAY, and Swansea AWAY, Marseilles AWAY in the CL... For **** sake what more do you want? As for Fenerbache(who)... A CL qualifier in which we absolutely annihilated them in? What more do you want this team to do? Son, you need to get a ****ing grip.

Just about finished 4th eh? We had a poor start to the season but finished the strongest in the League remember... May I refer you to MOST POINTS IN 2013 above...

Ozil has played what 3 games for us? Set up a couple of goals and generally played fine, he's in a new league, new country, new team... give the man a break!

Chelsea do not look amazing this year.
    You mean Manchester City who have lost to Cardiff and Villa?
    You mean Manchester United who have lost to West Brom, Man City and Villa?
    You mean Liverpool and Everton who won't come close to winning the league?
    I suppose you think Spurs will win it then?

Worst team in our group bar us eh... wow what a thing for an Arsenal fan to say, honestly... How are we worse than Napoli and Dortmund, please explain this. And referring back to the Emirates cup is frankly pointless. We thrashed City a few days later... It's preseason, it means nothing when the real competitions start.

We're playing Napoli tomorrow at home and you say "we will loose"...
    You can take your "we" and stick it where the sun don't shine.
    Napoli. Not Brazil or Spain. Napoli. I hope we beat them just to shut you up.

Blah blah blah blah blah I'm done with you.

I remember laughing at Liverpool fans a few years ago talking about being the best team over a calendar year. Sigh.

I remember laughing at Liverpool fans a few years ago talking about being the best team over a calendar year. Sigh.

You're missing the point.

• Advertisement

FearDark wrote: »
    You're missing the point.

I'm missing nothing. The season is played over roughly the same timeframe as it has for over a century, the calendar year thing is irrelevant. Having good or great form for half a season is lovely but it's the whole season that counts. A few years ago much was made of Arsenal "choking" and while some may have been down to that, more likely the inevitable poor run just happened to come at the end of the season. Who knows, maybe this season's blip is already done. :pac:

Sigh it's easy to take anything out of context like that without addressing the points that were addressed :rolleyes:.

Button, you're on the ignore list because I honestly can't deal with your posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Seeing Sol Campbell with Bobby brings back some fond memories, from my time supporting arsenal, after Henry , sol is my second favourite player, monster of a man, it's a pity the personal issues and perhaps playing a bit too long took some shine off how good he actually was in his prime.

PS. Bobby wasn't too bad either.

Of course hes not thats stupid

Obviously Bergkamp was the messiah

We need to take off the red sunglasses and look at where we're at.

I just took off mine and we're still first and on an amazing run.

If you're not going to be happy with 18 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss from 21 games; then around 1% or less of your footballing days will be bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Things are good at the moment for once so lets be happy for gods sake.

We have alot of injurys and have still managed to be top of the premiership thus far. We have grinded out results when we havent been brilliant like against swansea for example.
    Which is a true sign of champions man united always do it win when they play bad.

Did wenger buy enough during summer? Absolutely not but ozil saved his skin and no one and i mean no one can deny ozil is world class.
    We are lucky players like ramsey have really stepped up to the plate and carried us in a few games.

We have started this campaign amazingly with some of our best players injured so one can argue things may get better for us which i am excited about:)

If Arsène Wenger lost each of his next 130 games in charge, he would still have the best win percentage of any Arsenal boss in history #AW17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Ozil still looks like he hasn't settled in yet, can't wait to see him in proper action in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I don't think he was that bad against Swansea. He should have buried that chance, but other than that he did ok. With no wingers and not many running ahead of him, he had feck all options when he did get on the ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement