Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

maximoose wrote: »
    I don't think he was that bad against Swansea. He should have buried that chance, but other than that he did ok. With no wingers and not many running ahead of him, he had feck all options when he did get on the ball.

Ah no don't get me wrong he has been great brilliant against Sunderland and stoke, just think there is more to come from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Fcuk me i'm excited for the match tonight.

Kos was a beast against them last time - hoping for more of the same attitude across the whole team tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Is it only on sky tonight?

Edit: Ah setanta Ireland I see, sweet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

So we are first because we had easy fixtures and beacuse the other teams aren't good at the moment.
    We are the third best team in our CL group.
    If Girous gets injured, we are screwed (cause he really is prone to injuries), if Mert or Kos are injured, we are screwed. . .

I love how some people call their pesimism, realism.
    I love how some people have real belief in what their favourite team can do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think we were lucky with the fixture list this year and if you were to replace the villa defeat with the Spurs win then we'd all probably be thinking 15 pts out of the first 6 games was realistic before the season starts.

But given the way the wins have come about - especially after the shocking start to Villa and the inclusion of Ozil - you can't under estimate the new found belief that the team (and supporters) have found in the last month, especially at this time of the year.

There are going to be bumps in the road but if we can maintain some level of consistency then I believe we'll start to see the team win points purely on their belief in the team.

That I feel is going to separate Arsenal from the rest who are lacking confidence in themselves and are fairly brittle at the moment - apart from Spurs and Liverpool who I think have worse squads then us anyway.

Don't under estimate the importance of what goes on inside a footballers head and how that can influence performance. At the moment we have this advantage and we should try and ride it for as long as we can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Napoli will be a tough test for you lads. They've started very well, the likes of Callejon and Albiol have settled in well and the likes of Inler, Hamsik and Insigne are excellent players. Higuain is a big loss for them though.

You'll still need to play well to beat them imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Match tonight will show us where the squad are at in terms of challenging for trophies tonight. First big test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Gervinho clearing his name...

gervinho_zpsc084e67e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

cson wrote: »
    Match tonight will show us where the squad are at in terms of challenging for trophies tonight. First big test.

I would have called Spurs our first big test which we passed ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Napoli will be a tough test for you lads. They've started very well, the likes of Callejon and Albiol have settled in well and the likes of Inler, Hamsik and Insigne are excellent players. Higuain is a big loss for them though.

You'll still need to play well to beat them imo.

You don't need to worry to much about Inler. Despite the fact he is showing a little bit of what he can do under Benitez, he has been largely pants since he signed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

population wrote: »
    You don't need to worry to much about Inler. Despite the fact he is showing a little bit of what he can do under Benitez, he has been largely pants since he signed.

Been disappointing alright, not the player he was at Udinese(or for Switzerland for that matter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I would have called Spurs our first big test which we passed ;).

Not me; they were incoherent and blunt with so many new players to fit in. They were there for the taking imo. They'll be much stronger in the return.

This is our first proper test against a team that's on our level and a manager who knows exactly what he's doing.

cson wrote: »
    Not me; they were incoherent and blunt with so many new players to fit in. They were there for the taking imo. They'll be much stronger in the return.

This is our first proper test against a team that's on our level and a manager who knows exactly what he's doing.

Sometime people on here baffle me :pac:.

Spurs re 3rd in the league have an excellent manager and a very strong squad maybe it's just the anti Spurs bias in here that makes people think they don't count. Were the only team to have beaten them so far.

I think we will beat Napoli tonight, but I think if we do loose some people will be stupidly using it as a stick to bash the club with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

maximoose wrote: »
    Is it only on sky tonight?

Edit: Ah setanta Ireland I see, sweet :)

Is it on anywhere else? UTV??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Is it on anywhere else? UTV??

celtic again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

So who do we reckon should start in the dmf role, I am leaning more towards Flamini instead of Arteta as he is the most natural of the 2 in that position and can nullify the threat of the likes of Hamsik and help out the back 4 with the likes of Insigne and Callejon who are very dangerous players.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    So who do we reckon should start in the dmf role, I am leaning more towards Flamini instead of Arteta as he is the most natural of the 2 in that position and can nullify the threat of the likes of Hamsik and help out the back 4 with the likes of Insigne and Callejon who are very dangerous players.

Flamini. If it ain't broke don't fix it mentality. Wenger is very much a man who sticks with those who keep doing a good job.

Flamini hasn't done anything to warrant getting stuck on the bench so far so I would be suprised if he wasn't starting tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Re streams.

I always have a decent stream for our games so just PM me before any game for one. In the meantime could anyone interested in that install Google chrome and an addon called "ad block"... It improves your viewing pleasure a ton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

FearDark wrote: »
    Re streams.

I always have a decent stream for our games so just PM me before any game for one. In the meantime could anyone interested in that install Google chrome and an addon called "ad block"... It improves your viewing pleasure a ton.

+1 I couldn't watch streams without it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Gunners 50 greatest moments, some nice ones in there

Mickey Thomas's goal would be my favorite, remember watching it at home with my dad and brother and I went nuts when it went in :D

This would be next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Same team for tonight Id imagine. Possibly Arteta in for Flamini but I cant see that happening tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

shano_88 wrote: »
    Same team for tonight Id imagine. Possibly Arteta in for Flamini but I cant see that happening tonight.

I dunno. Space will be hard to come by and Arteta's ability to move the ball around quickly would benefit. Not that Flamini hasn't been great though.

We've actually got three good subs to bring on tonight - woot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i'd keep flamini he's on form and is great at covering back and motivating lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

This may be an unpopular opinion seeing as Gnabry scored in the last game but I would start Rosicky instead of him.

Gnabry is probably tired too.

with rosickys experience i'd be starting him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

gosplan wrote: »
    I dunno. Space will be hard to come by and Arteta's ability to move the ball around quickly would benefit. Not that Flamini hasn't been great though.

We've actually got three good subs to bring on tonight - woot

I won't be unhappy with either starting. I do think with Flamini we will be set up better to cope with Napolis counter attacking style.
    cathalio11 wrote: »
    This may be an unpopular opinion seeing as Gnabry scored in the last game but I would start Rosicky instead of him.

I'm still sticking with Gnabry. I think we will be too narrow with Rosicky playing on the right and jack on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd start Rosicky too but we could seriously lack width

I wouldn't for two reasons I think Gnabry has done well and gives us width which at the moment he is the only one who does and Rosicky is only back and wont be fully match fit yet a subs appearance late on would sit him much better for that reason.

Edit oops looks like Rosicky is starting I still stand by my point ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

i must be dreaming.. 2:0 jeez

I just want to say I ****ing LOVE ARSENAL

newbie2 wrote: »
    Napoli will beat us tomorrow night.

****ing EAT IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Flamini get back to your natural position, that's twice now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Great win. Couldn't have went better really. Everyone playing well. Özil getting his first goal. Clean sheet. Good times!

• Advertisement

That was a very satisfying performance.

Clean sheet, professional in the second half and got the goals early. Perfect win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

That was such a classy and composed performance. Superb.

Gibbs, Ramsey, Ozil and Giroud were all great again.

Giroud, can't think of a better target man at the moment - he shields the ball so well, lays on lovely little passes, strong flick on headers, guys a physical specimen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Well, maybe all the realistic people in this forum could enlighten us, how Arsenal, an obviously not good enough team won easily 2-0 versus such a better team like Napoli?

That was such a classy and composed performance. Superb.

Gibbs, Ramsey, Ozil and Giroud were all great again.

Wilshere looked sharp when on also. Impressive tonight.

• Advertisement

newbie2 wrote: »
    FFS, this thread needs to get some perspective FFS.

8 weeks ago we were going on about how **** the team was and how we need to sign a striker, defender and possible goalkeeper. Wenger goes out and buys another midfielder and this thread is pissing themelves at ozil.

We win a few games (fulham, spurs, sunderland , stoke and swansea) in the league, beat fenerbache (who?) in the CL qualifiers and scrape past marseille in the group stages. Suddenly we're world beaters and looking to win the league and the CL???? FFS - get a ****ing grip.

We are still the side that just about finished 4th last season. Ozil isnt the messiah and his performances have been mediocre so far. We've been lucky we've met some poor sides and we're certainly not crushing oppisition. We need to take off the red sunglasses and look at where we're at.

We still need ot play both Manchester teams and liverpool/everton and chleski. We've played possibly the worst team (bar us) in our CL group and still have to play Napoli (who we were lucky to draw with in the emirates cup) and dortmund.

Spurs last leason was our last real test - apart from spurs this season. I'm not counting the Bayer Munich game as it was a fluke IMO. All we can tell from this is that we're better than spurs.

I dont want to be 'one pf those posters', but FFS, I'm realistic. I've been a supporter for a long time, named my dog after wenger, was in the emirates for our only defeat this season, will be going over next month, watch every game - including every youth/reserve games I can, but I can't help but feel -we're not really good enough.

I'm sorry if I piss some of you off, but I'm pretty much convinced in my own conviction. Yes I hope we beat napoli tomorrw - but I doubt we will. Yes I'm happy we are having a good run - but there's a reason and it's not because we're good IMO, it's because the opposition aren't as good as us.

EDIT

Obligitory pic of Wenger the dog attached

so much bul**** in one post.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Giroud, can't think of a better target man at the moment - he shields the ball so well, lays on lovely little passes, strong flick on headers, guys a physical specimen.

He was brilliant tonight. I don't think the centre back won a single header

bad2dabone wrote: »

His link up with Ozil for his goal was very good. His positioning is spot on at the minute too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Best 45 mins I can remember in years.

And still Wally, Pod and Caz to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ramsey 8 (4)
    Giroud 6 (4)
    Podolski 2 (2)
    Gnarnby 1 (1)
    Ozil 1 (0)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Mertesacker 1 (1)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Walcott 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

gosplan wrote: »
    Best 45 mins I can remember in years.

And still Wally, Pod and Caz to come back.

Walcott and Podolski would have really restricted today's performance in my opinion. They would struggle to keep up with the one touch football.

As for the meaning of your post, it will be great to have them back of course and will provide a lot throughout the season. Especially if we had them for our trip to the Hawthorns.

What's our best first 11 now? I couldn't name em!

Walcott and Podolski would have really restricted today's performance in my opinion. They would struggle to keep up with the one touch football.

As for the meaning of your post, it will be great to have them back of course and will provide a lot throughout the season. Especially if we had them for our trip to the Hawthorns.

agreed. and agreed that when they come back into the squad they'll offer different weapons and threats.
    Good to be a gooner tonight.
    The team must be feeling awesome right now, 10 wins in a row, imperious form, and International class players to come back.
    A second striker in Jan please, this is a team that will give us pleasure for a long time to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

jonny666 wrote: »
    What's our best first 11 now? I couldn't name em!

Its very much horses for courses

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Great performance all round. Really hope we can keep this going and bag a trophy this year.

Would be a shame if the likes of Arteta, Sagna (give that man a contract!!) and Rosicky finish their Arsenal careers without a medal to show for it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement