Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Maire2009 wrote: »
    You can find another wife, you'll never find another Arsenal. And you can tell her a woman said that!

Maire - We need to meet and explore the possibility of making little Arsenes !!!

Would bring a while new meaning to "In Arsene We Thrust" :D

Imagine, a woman who understands the offside rule :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Im sick off all the optimism on this thread, off to United thread to get my emo thrills

At times tonight the standard of football reminded me of the demolition job against West Ham from last season (aside from the scoreline of course). Scintillating stuff. However ill hold my judgement until the run in. Still very very early days and we've imploded before

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

astonaidan wrote: »
    Im sick off all the optimism on this thread, off to United thread to get my emo thrills

Read last nights posts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If this is a club in decline or dieing (as a spurs fan said to me), cant wait to see us being looked upon as a club on the rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Have to pinch myself these days. What an amazing season it has been thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

You can find another wife, you'll never find another Arsenal. And you can tell her a woman said that!
    I must be the complete package so - Arsenal + Woman :p

Might just have found my new wife :P;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I must note something interesting. Ever since I have been with my missus arsenal have not won a trophy(8 years I was with my other half) but recently things turned per shaped and currently split up but not filled for the papers. Quite ironic since the split arsenal have been smashing everyone at their wake.

Should I get back with the missus ?

Bet most would say no here :) lol

Bet the next lady in you life will be like ...

'He's so nice and a really happy guy. Just really happy all the time. He's always in a great mood when I meet him on Saturday nights'

Bah ha ha. Little will she know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just a point from arseblog which kind of touches on what was going on here yesterday.

'We clearly have most things on our side right now. Momentum, confidence, players in great form, and an atmosphere that reflects that. It feels fun again, exciting, and it’s different. It’s been a while since it’s been like that. Of course it’s still early days and there’s a lot of football to be played this season, but sometimes it’s just worth stepping back and enjoying these times and moments for what they are.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

gosplan wrote: »
    Just a point from arseblog which kind of touches on what was going on here yesterday.

'We clearly have most things on our side right now. Momentum, confidence, players in great form, and an atmosphere that reflects that. It feels fun again, exciting, and it’s different. It’s been a while since it’s been like that. Of course it’s still early days and there’s a lot of football to be played this season, but sometimes it’s just worth stepping back and enjoying these times and moments for what they are.'

Its exactly what im doing. Im not getting over excited just as I wouldnt get too down after one defeat. Im just sitting back enjoying it all. I didnt think for a second that Napoli were goina score last night and was confident we would close the game out. Lovely stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

22lzrs.jpg

apps | mins | goals | assists | min/gORa
    5 | 428 | 1 | 5 | 71.33

christ i'am bored & also very sad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Getting rid of RVP to United was a brave move , Keeping Wenger after years of trophyless was more bravier . Fair play to the board and the fans for having faith and patient with their boss. Pays dividend in the end i presume. No debt, biggest stadium in London after Wembley all paid for. Great foundations to kickstart a new era of Arsenal FC, Starting to look like this now after last few matches. Well done Wenger and Arsenal FC. From United Fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just a quick post as I've not much time, but watching ye last night reminded me of when Liverpool had that run of form in 09 that saw us hammer Villa, Madrid, & United in a matter of days.

Most encouraging for an Arsenal perspective is that it isn't just a purple patch at this stage, its quite the extended run over 20+ games really.

Do ye have issues? Certainly, but if ye show the same ambition in the next few transfer windows ye should be in good stead.

Delighted to have Ozil in the PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

gosplan wrote: »
    Bet the next lady in you life will be like ...

'He's so nice and a really happy guy. Just really happy all the time. He's always in a great mood when I meet him on Saturday nights'

Bah ha ha. Little will she know!!
    Ive broke up with a few women over the years over Arsenal.

I like to perform an introductory course after a few weeks which involves watching Fever Pitch and explaing its not quite 18 f**kin years yet but ive been waiting quite a while

Jesus Per even getting some praise now. The pundits are actually starting to change their tune.

Shame I quite enjoy sticking their predictions back in their face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭boccy23

I know that Ozil has made a huge difference, but does anyone else think that it's a change in mental attitude that has this version of the Gooners purring.

On Saturday, they conceded after the goal to Davies with 10 mins left, last year there was every chance that Arsenal would have conceded a second and only drawn the game. On Saturday, while not perfect to concede, they held out comfortably.

Seems like the team has a greater mental strength this year which will serve them in good stead for the challenges ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

boccy23 wrote: »
    I know that Ozil has made a huge difference, but does anyone else think that it's a change in mental attitude that has this version of the Gooners purring.

On Saturday, they conceded after the goal to Davies with 10 mins left, last year there was every chance that Arsenal would have conceded a second and only drawn the game. On Saturday, while not perfect to concede, they held out comfortably.

Seems like the team has a greater mental strength this year which will serve them in good stead for the challenges ahead.

For me, Flamini is a massive difference. He changes the mindset of the team, keeps them on their toes, keeps them tuned in to whats going on around them.

He's been incredible imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Jesus Per even getting some praise now. The pundits are actually starting to change their tune.

Shame I quite enjoy sticking their predictions back in their face

Its a pity we weren't on RTE last night. Would have been hilarious to see Eamo and Gilesy trying to explain how we won despite being ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its a pity we weren't on RTE last night. Would have been hilarious to see Eamo and Gilesy trying to explain how we won despite being ****e.

Obviously it would have been before the game "arsenal won't win this they've only played poor opposition, they'll be found out"

To "Italian football is poor"

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Obviously it would have been before the game "arsenal won't win this they've only played poor opposition, they'll be found out"

To "Italian football is poor"

Ha, and then Eamo tells everyone how the game is in decline in Italy.

Ha, and then Eamo tells everyone how the game is in decline in Italy.

"They had a good first half, but then they took their foot off the gas. These are the matches where you should be winning 4 or 5 nil. I don't think this is a team that has been truly tested yet. Tottenham, are just learning how to play with each other. Italian teams traditionally don't travel well. We'll see if the likes of Real or Barcelona... If Arsenal can do something then. Don't forget they still have to play Dortmund too!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

great start to the season, wenger must have been reading my posts .

At last he has realised that surrendering position and possession does not mean you are going to lose the match. Keeping shape is more important.
    Let the oppossition have the ball, drop deeper, we are being more direct in our attack when we do attack, instead of wasting 20 passes going backwards just for the sake of keeping the ball

He seems to have released the full backs and everyone to have a shot.
    And is allowing the back 4 to hoof it if they are under alot of pressure and have no easy option.

but dont be carried away, we are sitting in a great spot partly because the other top 4 have fallen away .

I said Id be happy when we had a 2-0 easy win with less possesion than the opp.
    It wasnt 2-0 but it was 2-1 and Swansea had 58% to our 42% and they had 624 passes to our 437 , but we never really looked like we would lose that match.

Plus less possesion will mean the players are less injury prone and will be a bit fresher.
    He needs to give Giroud some rest, there was no point in flogging him for 90 mins against Napoli, guess old habits die hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

I've been to a good number of Arsenal games the last few years but only one CL and that was Dortmund 2 years ago. Their fans are a great bunch and the atmosphere was great. We won 2-1 that night as well.

BVg21hzIEAEoll9.jpg

Arteta, Wilshere, Cazorla, Ozil, Rosicky, Ramsey, Flamini.

WOW!
    Where's Diaby!
    Now that would be a WOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Where's Diaby!
    Now that would be a WOW
    Poor oul Abou, you have to feel sorry for the lad what a talented player he is but his body just cant hack the physicality of the English game especially after that assault on him against Sunderland when his ankle was smashed to pieces.

great start to the season, wenger must have been reading my posts .

At last he has realised that surrendering position and possession does not mean you are going to lose the match. Keeping shape is more important.
    Let the oppossition have the ball, drop deeper, we are being more direct in our attack when we do attack, instead of wasting 20 passes going backwards just for the sake of keeping the ball

He seems to have released the full backs and everyone to have a shot.
    And is allowing the back 4 to hoof it if they are under alot of pressure and have no easy option.

but dont be carried away, we are sitting in a great spot partly because the other top 4 have fallen away .

I said Id be happy when we had a 2-0 easy win with less possesion than the opp.
    It wasnt 2-0 but it was 2-1 and Swansea had 58% to our 42% and they had 624 passes to our 437 , but we never really looked like we would lose that match.

Plus less possesion will mean the players are less injury prone and will be a bit fresher.
    He needs to give Giroud some rest, there was no point in flogging him for 90 mins against Napoli, guess old habits die hard.

Colonialboy IS Piers Morgan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

"They had a good first half, but then they took their foot off the gas. These are the matches where you should be winning 4 or 5 nil. I don't think this is a team that has been truly tested yet. Tottenham, are just learning how to play with each other. Italian teams traditionally don't travel well. We'll see if the likes of Real or Barcelona... If Arsenal can do something then. Don't forget they still have to play Dortmund too!"

Dortmund?

"Sure the German teams are in decline. Group of death? Hardly. One of the easiest groups out there..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

love to see diaby fully fit, wouldnt have to play much as we now have proper depth, anyone know when he is due back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Diaby's a figment of our imagination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

There was a rumour going around last week that Diaby had refused his salary until he got fully fit again. Not sure how true it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Let's hope that 1) we win one more before the interlull and 2) the interlull doesn't derail our momentum as it has in the past.

What a great roll we're on at the moment and long may it last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Colonialboy IS Piers Morgan

Actually I stopped reading it after that sentence you highlighted :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Only caught the first half of the match last night but it was thoroughly enjoyable to watch. I am happy for arsenal and wenger not just because of their inherent talent but their ethos and everything about the way they approach the game.

It was probably the best 45 mins of football I've seen a team play maybe excluding barcelona in the spanish league, but they play a lot of defensively-loose minnows. This was an in form Napoli side that Arsenal showed they were a cut above, no doubt helped by their renewed confidence.

Ramsay, Ozil, Sagna, Giroud, FLAMINI. Great, great, great!

I agree with the praise flamini has been getting, you can see him marshalling the defenses. He can play ball as well, very tidy, but despite how amazing ozil is, without flamini there would have been a lot more draws.

Arsenal have always been the first team I look to watch but now they are unmissable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

So we would have won that match starting Bendtner so?

Good man yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Colonial is good for a laugh, I love it when folks say “wenger finally realised blah blah blah”
    As if Wenger, a hugely intelligent man with vast football knowledge and intimate knowledge of the players themselves has missed something that some cheese on the internet has spotted.

Good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

bad2dabone wrote: »
    that some cheese on the internet has spotted.

Far too generous IMO :D

It was probably the best 45 mins of football I've seen a team play maybe excluding barcelona in the spanish league, but they play a lot of defensively-loose minnows. This was an in form Napoli side that Arsenal showed they were a cut above, no doubt helped by their renewed confidence.

Napoli are the Leyton Orient of Serie A
    Played 6 Won 5 Drew 1

They havent played any other team in the top 6 , mostly lower teams, positions 13-20 with exception of a bad AC side currently lying 9th.
    And they dropped points against Sassulo last week bottom of Serie A , whove only managed 2 pts all season.

but heh theres loads of football experts here who know what makes an in form team :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Played 6 Won 5 Drew 1

They havent played any other team in the top 6 , mostly lower teams, positions 13-20 with exception of a bad AC side currently lying 9th.
    And they dropped points against Sassulo last week bottom of Serie A , whove only managed 2 pts all season.

but heh theres loads of football experts here who know what makes an in form team :D

Well at least we can confirm that you aren't one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

great stuff so far, I'm taking it game by game this season. So far We're doing the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Played 6 Won 5 Drew 1

So arsenal are not really in form they've just been playing crap teams?

Seriously Colonial, you know so much you really should apply for AW’s job – Wenger’s yet to extend his contract and I’m sure if the board heard you were interested they’d be all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Played 6 Won 5 Drew 1

So they have played a big team, in Milan, and won. Just because they're 9th now doesn't mean they will be at the end of the season. That's like saying Man Utd are terrible, which we all know isn't true.

Last season we averaged 58% possession

This season we are averaging 53% possession, 5% thats a big difference
    but we are in a much better position obviously and the fans much happier.
    Our pass success rate was higher last year 85% versus 84% .....

So the statistics indicate , we had the ball more , made more passes and made more successfull passes last year (successfull cos teams were happy to let us play it around at the back and across the middle going no where) ... than this season so far in the league and we all know how well last season went.

Anyways like I said Wengers gone more direct, surrendered position and possesion and stopped playing the ball around at the back just for the sake of it, and the statistics back this up.

btw call_me_jimmy I wasnt calling you out on your post, just saying Napoli havent played many top teams in Serie A, their league position is a bit flattering.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Seriously Colonial, you know so much you really should apply for AW’s job – Wenger’s yet to extend his contract and I’m sure if the board heard you were interested they’d be all over it.

chillax dude, everyones entitled to an opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts."

And the facts are, we are the best team in England over the last 6/7 months, and just beat the 2nd placed team in Italy very handily. Things are good.

It’s completely irrelevant whether you have a right to an opinion or not if the thing you’re saying is false.
    The team are a season more used to playing with each other, and playing football the way Wenger wanted them to. We also have players in form and confidence is high.
    Wenger didn’t have a sudden realization that we needed more penetration and less sterile possession, this was known by all including him and alluded to in the first game of last year (vs sunderland).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Played 6 Won 5 Drew 1

Yet the need to beat teams outside the top 6 as well as the top 6, is a necessary prerequisite in order to be high up the table. Also, it's pretty simple what makes an in form team, any team that goes on a run of games with successful results ala Arsenal and ala Napoli. You don't need to be a football expert to come to either deductions.

Move along please, you're causing unnecessary clatter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Why are some people on Wengers back searching for stats to back up their clamis that we're not that great at all... Seriously what will it take for this to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

FearDark wrote: »
    Why are some people on Wengers back searching for stats to back up their clamis that we're not that great at all... Seriously what will it take for this to stop.

It's just people who have nothing better to do and revel in negativity. Must be so dull to be in a continued flux of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

FearDark wrote: »

Some people will always look for something. If we win the league, it will be because other teams were poor with new managers and too many new players and not because we deserved it. We can only beat the teams we play against and we are doing a good job thus far.

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    Some people will always look for something. If we win the league, it will be because other teams were poor with new managers and too many new players and not because we deserved it. We can only beat the teams we play against and we are doing a good job thus far.
    For me its huge that a lot of the pessimists and critics are now saying we are doing ok.

Its bigger than people like me actually thinking we can win the league.

They are really struuging to find things to complain about at this stage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement