Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't mind people pointing out faults during a match or suggesting changes that might work. I have often done that myself as well as point out players who are not putting it all in during games. They are fair game as we want all our players performing well.
    Constant whinging though is very negative especially if there's no reason for it.
    We may not be playing or beating the very top teams just yet but boy are we playing very well and with a swagger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Napoli are the Leyton Orient of Serie A
    Played 6 Won 5 Drew 1

They havent played any other team in the top 6 , mostly lower teams, positions 13-20 with exception of a bad AC side currently lying 9th.
    And they dropped points against Sassulo last week bottom of Serie A , whove only managed 2 pts all season.

but heh theres loads of football experts here who know what makes an in form team :D

Fair play, even in the midst of a ten game winning streak you're still attempting to wind up. I hope it makes your life that bit happier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

It's amazing how these lads show up after we beat Napoli of all people. Fair enough if we just beat Exeter in the League Cup but we have just gone 10 consecutive wins and one loss in what 23 games or something like that... This run hasn't been since the start of the season either, we've been fantastic for 95% of the whole of 2013.

Eejits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

u19s beat Napoli 4-1 in the youth champions league

2 goals for Akpom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Napoli are the Leyton Orient of Serie A
    Played 6 Won 5 Drew 1

They havent played any other team in the top 6 , mostly lower teams, positions 13-20 with exception of a bad AC side currently lying 9th.
    And they dropped points against Sassulo last week bottom of Serie A , whove only managed 2 pts all season.

but heh theres loads of football experts here who know what makes an in form team :D

Why do I have a feeling you would post exactly the same thing if we played and won against M. United?

Played 6 Won 2 Lost 3 Draw 1

I love fans to be critical but please make sure it is constructive and makes sense.

Your post is nonsensical!

Napoli are a good side but were beaten by an Arsenal team that played well!

Could we have done better in that match? Absolutely, but to debase that performance by ridiculously and erroneously suggesting that we played a weak team is just plain daft.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

If united keep up this bad form they may end up getting a good manager in which we don't want!

They're lucky they got put into such a handy group. We got the short straw tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

If united keep up this bad form they may one up getting a good manager in which we don't want!

Don't worry what that lot are up to ;)

Up to their necks in debt.
    Owners taking every cent out of the club.
    Can't attract big players.
    A midfield that is lacking in every sense.

I rate Moyes and not sure if changing the manager would do any good, they'd still be in trouble if they got Guardiola in the morning,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

FearDark wrote: »
    Don't worry what that lot are up to ;)

Up to their necks in debt.
    Owners taking every cent out of the club.
    Can't attract big players.
    A midfield that is lacking in every sense.

I rate Moyes and not sure if changing the manager would do any good, they'd still be in trouble if they got Guardiola in the morning,

I don't really. He got an easy run at Everton i.e. not expected to win much even though he spent loads of money. The only time they made the CL they were knocked out in the play-off.
    He never had a victory at any of the top grounds either with Everton.
    He is expected to do things with United but I seriously doubt he can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If united keep up this bad form they may end up getting a good manager in which we don't want!

They aren't Chelsea. They will give him time unless things are looking incredibly bad. I reckon he will be safe so long as they finish top four. He'll be given leeway in his first season but the pressure will be on next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

They're lucky they got put into such a handy group. We got the short straw tbh.

we did, but in a way if we get out of this group - and we're looking good so far - it could be the making of this season.

Bayern once again looking the team to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I don't really. He got an easy run at Everton i.e. not expected to win much even though he spent loads of money. The only time they made the CL they were knocked out in the play-off.
    He never had a victory at any of the top grounds either with Everton.
    He is expected to do things with United but I seriously doubt he can

I never rated him and never wanted him at arsenal when he was mentioned

I think he is out of his depth and will get found out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I think he is out of his depth and will get found out

big time. he's lucky he's at a club like united as they will give him time, and he'll have a certain amount of resources to use.

No Robin. You can't come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Why do I have a feeling you would post exactly the same thing if we played and won against M. United?

Played 6 Won 2 Lost 3 Draw 1

I love fans to be critical but please make sure it is constructive and makes sense.

Your post is nonsensical!

Napoli are a good side but were beaten by an Arsenal team that played well!

Could we have done better in that match? Absolutely, but to debase that performance by ridiculously and erroneously suggesting that we played a weak team is just plain daft.

ahh try reading the original post I was responding too... I never said Napoli were a weak team, those are your words not mine. Your post would be great if Id actually said those things, but heh if it gives you something to write about by making up things other people say then go for it. Someone had suggested they were a major in form team and I was pointing, out their league position is deceptive as they are 2nd but havent played anyone in the top 7 so dont get carried away.

I thought people would get the Leyton Orient reference, Napolis leagues positon is a bit like Leyton Orients , top of League 1 had won 7 on the trot but they hadnt played anyone in the top half up to that point, so football punters were still wondering if they were really a top of the table team , I wasnt saying Napoli were as bad as Leyton Orient. If you follow football across all the leagues you would have understood that analogy.

And I never said we didnt play well or knock our performance.

And considering I took Arsenal at 12/1 to win the league Im not hear to be winding anyone up.

So anyways the stats indicate Wenger has changed the style, giving up some possesion and not playing so much keep ball, which judging by the results seems to be working a treat. Its a change I welcome.
    7 years without a trophy and 58% possession, Id much prefer 1 year with a trophy and 53% possession especially if its 12/1 ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

ahh try reading the original post I was responding too... I never said Napoli were a weak team, those are your words not mine. Your post would be great if Id actually said those things, but heh if it gives you something to write about by making up things other people say then go for it.

And considering I took Arsenal at 12/1 to win the league Im not hear to be winding anyone up.

You could have took up Arsenal at 100/1; it doesn't take away from your troublesome attitude, especially from the first paragraph there, whoever you were talking to.

I think you know yourself that you will get a few bites when diminishing Arsenal's position.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Some grudging respect for the gunners last night from giles and co. but Ramsey is only a "good player" who is having a "very good season". Didi had a fair bit of man love for Flamini though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Just finishing up the inter years on bergkamps biography. Good book so far, it's in an interesting format. It's like an interview with some dude asking God questions and the dude asking players\managers on bergkamp.

BTW is it me or is the arsenal shop a piece of crap, i'm trying to buy an Ozil kit but it keeps crapping out on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Some grudging respect for the gunners last night from giles and co. but Ramsey is only a "good player" who is having a "very good season". Didi had a fair bit of man love for Flamini though.

I was listening to them last night. They were saying how poor the premier league is after Munich beat City. I was just waiting for the line "Sure aren't Arsenal top of the league" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I was listening to them last night. They were saying how poor the premier league is after Munich beat City. I was just waiting for the line "Sure aren't Arsenal top of the league" :pac:

They also said Ramsey isn't a "natural midfielder". What is he then? A fullback? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

They also said Ramsey isn't a "natural midfielder". What is he then? A fullback? :pac:

That's crazy - he's virtually the dictionary definition of a midfielder ! How can they get away with such nonsense ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Think Dunphy was drunk last night so he was spouting even more sh1te than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Last season we averaged 58% possession

This season we are averaging 53% possession, 5% thats a big difference
    but we are in a much better position obviously and the fans much happier.
    Our pass success rate was higher last year 85% versus 84% .

I did a little satistical analysis of my own colonial seen that you are so taken with them, and it turns out that 100% of your posts cause other posters to ROFL and that 75% of the young males in your Colony are actually bitter, twisted and uninfomed people.

Very interesting isn't it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

tbf all them references and quotes are from Giles, he watches probably 20 mins in total of the EPL a week if that and is about 30 years past it. He also said that Giroud didn't really score anything last year, pretyy fcukin bad when Bill O'Herlihy had to pull him up on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

tbf all them references and quotes are from Giles, he watches probably 20 mins in total of the EPL a week if that and is about 30 years past it. He also said that Giroud didn't really score anything last year, pretyy fcukin bad when Bill O'Herlihy had to pull him up on that one.

Anyone that's actually watching games and evaluating their position based on that will have far more positive things to say than some muppets giving the same opinion as last year.

Giroud has a fair few goals and assists so far but also done brilliant hold up play and lots of assisting the assister. His chest down and flick on for Ramsey for Ozil's goal the other night was amazing!! Not only did he take it down and play it to the right guy in one slick move but his flick was actually way out in front of Ramsey and into space so he didn't need to check his run or come inside or anything. That's the kind if **** that makes Zlatan amazing and his teams winning ones.

But of course retards (or pundits aiming their comments for a retarded audience) will never see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Giles and co come out with alot of the kinda nonsense that you get in the tabloids. They are well paid im sure and should be doing a bit more research than they obviously are. Most of their "knowledge" is the same cliched crap spouted in the back of the star/sun etc
    It was pure cringe when Dunphy started his man love for Ronaldo saying how there was never a goalscorer like him, until he was reminded of some chap called Messi...

I'd really love to win something this year just to shut that lot up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd really love to win something this year just to shut that lot up.

They won't shut up though, they'll just change the narrative and praise Wenger and his methods.

Anelka 9
    Overmars 11
    Vieira 4
    Reyes 9
    Henry 14
    Clichy 22

What is this list I hear you ask? Well its a list of the names cson had put on the back of his beloved Arsenal shirts. In that order too. Thought TH would be a lifer and played it extra safe with the last one; there was no way Clichy would ever leave.

So after being burned by that I haven't bought another shirt until now. The next player to either befall the cson curse or break it will be.... Ramsey 16 :eek: Fingers crossed for the latter.

Btw; I got it off Lifestyle who are doing the home shirt for €59 with free printing and free delivery. Use code MRSC2013 for an extra 10% off. :)

I've a sneaky feeling I'll be getting plenty of wear out of it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

cson wrote: »
    Anelka 9
    Overmars 11
    Vieira 4
    Reyes 9
    Henry 14
    Clichy 22

What is this list I hear you ask? Well its a list of the names cson had put on the back of his beloved Arsenal shirts. In that order too. Thought TH would be a lifer and played it extra safe with the last one; there was no way Clichy would ever leave.

So after being burned by that I haven't bought another shirt until now. The next player to either befall the cson curse or break it will be.... Ramsey 16 :eek: Fingers crossed for the latter.

Btw; I got it off Lifestyle who are doing the home shirt for €59 with free printing and free delivery. Use code MRSC2013 for an extra 10% off. :)

They all left eventually...

....get TGSTEL :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

cson wrote: »
    Anelka 9
    Overmars 11
    Vieira 4
    Reyes 9
    Henry 14
    Clichy 22

I absolutely loved Overmars, best winger we have ever had in my book, Bobby Pires a close second.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I absolutely loved Overmars, best winger we have ever had in my book, Bobby Pires a close second.

That goal against United is one of my favourite sporting moments ever. The perfect little header to knock it into his path. Must have recreated that hundreds of times in my back yard as a 10 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Rene Steer former youth player at Arsenal scored a cracking goal the other night:

Cracking strike

Nice Ramsey video as well of his contributions to date.

Maire, that is a fascinating video.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

As an outsider can someone knowledgeable here explain how he's turned things around so amazingly? He's been the best midfielder in the league along with Yaya Toure for my money so far.

I remember watching him last season and thinking he was an empty shell out on the pitch, the lad suffered a horrific injury and I thought he simply wasn't the same mentally.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    As an outsider can someone knowledgeable here explain how he's turned things around so amazingly? He's been the best midfielder in the league along with Yaya Toure for my money so far.

I remember watching him last season and thinking he was an empty shell out on the pitch, the lad suffered a horrific injury and I thought he simply wasn't the same mentally.

This is going to sound so cheesy but I honestly think it is the hard work paying off and everything finally "clicking" for him.

He was always a hard worker - always. However, I think he was afraid of the tackle for a while, so while he tracked back he wasn't going to go in hard, and given what happened, can you blame him? But I think even Wenger has commentated, that he started to realize he could go in for a tackle and not get hurt.

If you notice, he loves a back heel. Last season, they were going to no-one. This time he is finding a man, or other players know he will do it and run onto them.

As for his scoring, I remember a few seasons back Judas van Persie lashed out at him big time on the field for having a shot at goal instead of passing it to van "my little boy inside me dreams are dying" Persie who felt he should have been teed up. Think things like that got to Ramsey so he either passed when it wasn't on or lashed at it. But for whatever reason this season he is calmer in front of goal and he just can't stop scoring.

No idea where he is finding all the lovely passes from .... I read somewhere (will try and find a link) where it is said he stays longer in trained than required to work on his game.

Fair play to the young lad - after the broken leg and stick he got from our own fans last season he really deserves this moment. Long may it last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Rene Steer former youth player at Arsenal scored a cracking goal the other night:

No ****in way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Young Schweinsteiger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Has anyone picked up Bergkamps book? I bought it today. Without doubt my all time favourite player for the club and favourite footballer ever

• Advertisement

Buzzing for some fresh Arsenal talk after the Press Conference tomorrow :)

keano_afc wrote: »
    Ha, and then Eamo tells everyone how the game is in decline in Italy.

Eamo thought Flamini left around the same time as Fabregas...apparently 2008 and 2011 are all in the same

Has anyone picked up Bergkamps book? I bought it today. Without doubt my all time favourite player for the club and favourite footballer ever

My bird ordered it off amazon but wouldnt cough up for the express delivery. Still waiting.

Haven't yet but I will, my favourite Arsenal player. I started to support Arsenal a bit before he arrived, he and Platt were massive signings for Arsenal if I was right (I was only 8/9)? Wrighty was my favourite player back then and I was getting my first Arsenal jersey and my mother asked did I want a name on the back?! Was going to get Wright but was so psyched over our massive new signing .... still have that first Arsenal jersey with "Platt 7" on the back :o

Love this:
    BVrizGLIQAAsv9p.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

some news/rumours:

Klopp has been banned for the home game against dortmund, they can appeal it though

under wenger november is the worst for points to games ratio, 1.6
    while march is the best at 2.27

sagna uncertain for west brom, he's having a scan today then being assessed.
    everyone else should be available that played vs napoli
    cazorla not in contention, could be not far after the international break
    sanogo after the int. break too

talksport say the club are interested in adil rami of valencia

the club are preparing a 8mil a year, 3 year contract for wenger
    while PSG are keeping a position open for him as general manager/director of football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

My bird ordered it off amazon but wouldnt cough up for the express delivery. Still waiting.

Get it cheaper on easons with "free" delivery too.

Sound, but she said it was dispatched sometime yesterday.

Its Dennis Bergkamps book for god sake you dont just express delivery the great man.......Dont tell me your going to have to review your relationship status too???? ;)

We could have two contenders for Maire yet :D:D

Maire2009 wrote: »

The 3.30 express train to Norwich wasnt getting in the way of that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

it's far cheaper on amazon

hardcover £11.40 vs €27.50
    softcover £8.99 vs €16.99

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement