Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

With Only Ozil I think we be fighting for 4th sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Reports in Spain united have had 40m bid for Di Maria accepted. Hijack Arsene, throw your weight around a bit lad!

Not worth that at all. We're covered out wide anyway in my opinion. We have Cazorla, Walcott and Podolski. Could do with an established CF who will takes Giroud's first team spot but other than that I'd rather we left it than got another mediocre striker for "depth". I'm sure there is one or two more things in the pipeline anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Looper007 wrote: »

Nice to have the real looper back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sanogo is unproven and we should not be relying on an unproven player to take over if Giroud gets injured. It does not make sense.
    Why did we try to buy Higuain or Suarez at all if we didn't need them?

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Well, Walcott had around 4 games starting there last season. 2 of them were superb while 2 were ineffective.

I certainly wouldn't say that Walcott doesn't work there. Would have him there ahead of quite a lot of strikers available. I just wouldn't make him our main CF any time soon.

He's not what Arsenal need up forward. We need a natural striker who will knock in 30 goals a season. It's what the clubs been lacking since Van persie left and we haven't replace that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Jesus looper brighten up it's not over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

its getting late in the day to sort out a striker.

We definately need one. Even Giroud has said it, twice.

Nice to have the real looper back.

No realistic not a fool :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He's not what Arsenal need up forward. We need a natural striker who will knock in 30 goals a season. It's what the clubs been lacking since Van persie left and we haven't replace that.

Ah yea, sure there are loads of them players around. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

you guys will never be happy. i bet if we got ozil and benzema you would complain about something else. the arsenal way!

i will be fooking delighted with how wenger pulled this out of the bag, IF we get ozil in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Given the quality of midfielders we have can we not just do a barca and play a 4-6-0 formation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I think Walcott could do a good job up front if given a proper run. If, as looks likely, we won't now get a striker then that's very disappointing. Ozil will provide plenty of chances for our forwards. 47 assists in 2 seasons according to the guy sat next to Quinn who looks either hungover or coming down off a coke binge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

the spuds version of olly G there in the background on SSN

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ozil deal is fantstic, I am over the moon about it but it's also doing a lot to paper over the cracks of a very imcompetent transfer window.

Fair enogh he's the calibre of player we're crying out for but if you put him in our team yesterday it makes Rosicky the only decent attacking option on the bench. One hell of a starting 11 though to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I honestly think some of the people posting here haven't watched arsenal play in the last 12 months.

darego wrote: »
    you guys will never be happy. i bet if we got ozil and benzema you would complain about something else. the arsenal way!

i will be fooking delighted with how wenger pulled this out of the bag, IF we get ozil in the end

Benzema I'd be happy cause he's world class. But we don't and i'm not happy. You are delighted with just Ozil crazy.

No realistic not a fool :pac:

That's debatable :P, I certainly wouldn't say you're realistic ;).

We could be breaking our transfer record signing one of the best players in the world if we pull this off just once try have some positivity and crack a smile I promise it doesn't hurt :P.

Plus there is still time for things to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

If Walcott was a viable option up front he'd be used there more often. We've tried (not very hard) to sign a CF all summer. Its glaringly obvious we're light up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I give you

The false 9

Striker options sorted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Jaysus Looper - you could do with a bit of a chill pill...I never thought we had a chance of getting Ozil....we have Flamini and a new goalie. I don't know how you can call this disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Then they should be sacked from their jobs. Sorry their are great strikers out there it's all about looking.

No there isn't.

Not if you want the top class striker you're demanding, there isn't.

So far, Arsenal have been in for two strikers that I know of this summer and perhaps a third - Higuain, Suarez and Benzema.

Now, there is a limited number of these players out there and if you're intent on adding someone like that to your team and prepared to spend whatever doing it, then adding someone like say Soldado as a 20-30 million stopgap in case Giroud gets injured is not very clever.

I've seen enough from Arsenal this summer to understand two things:

1: We are now in the market for the very best players in the world for the first time.

2: We are prepared to be patient and trust in the players we have if we can't do a deal for someone we want.

I'd imagine the striker signing, if it doesn't come is one that will be looked at again in Jan perhaps when there may be other options.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Ah yea, sure there are loads of them players around. :rolleyes:

Yeah if you just look around but Wenger and co don't do it :rolleyes:

On what planet are Montpellier, Malaga and cologne top quality clubs?

Montpelier and Malaga recently competed in the UEFA Champions League. But Spurs would know little about that competition. :pac:

Name three. If they are so plentiful surely you can name three.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I don't think anyone here isn't over the moon that we signed Ozil. I'm absolutely delighted. But we needed a striker yesterday. We still need a striker today. Signing Ozil doesn't change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

gosplan wrote: »
    No there isn't.

So far, Arsenal have been in for two strikers that I know of this summer and perhaps a third - Higuain, Suarez and Benzema.

Now, there is a limited number of these players out there and if you're intent on adding someone like that to your team and prepared to spend whatever doing it, then adding someone like say Soldado as a 20-30 million stopgap in case Giroud gets injured is not very clever.

1: We are now in the market for the very best players in the world for the first time.

2: We are prepared to be patient and trust in the players we have if we can't do a deal for someone we want.

I'd imagine the striker signing, if it doesn't come is one that will be looked at again in Jan perhaps when there may be other options.
    Have to agree with this, before Ozil I was pretty skeptical about their willingness to spend big on quality players. Having seen this deal I now think that they're waiting for the right striker to come along before buying, hence wanting Ba on loan. IMO they don't want to throw 15-20m at a decent player then not have the funds to buy a world class player in Jan/next summer, they'd rather get a player on loan or stick with what we have then buy the right player later on.

As a whole the window was disappointing. But if you said a week ago that we'd have a GK, versatile DM/fullback, Ozil and a decent ST prospect I would have bitten your hand off. However the situation we got ourselves into last week needs to be heavily examined and the transfer system in place needs to be changed.

Jaysus Looper - you could do with a bit of a chill pill...I never thought we had a chance of getting Ozil....we have Flamini and a new goalie. I don't know how you can call this disappointing.

Its nice but come on, it's just painting over the cracks. We need a striker who's at least top quality, I don't know why my fellow Arsenal fan's are ignoring this. one bad tackle on Giroud and we're screwed. I'm disappointed with the fact he hasn't gone out and bought more.

Nah of coarse they don't every player we have ever signed was just picked randomly from a hat :rolleyes:.

Relax on the negativity man, it's getting tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Montpelier and Malaga recently competed in the UEFA Champions League. But Spurs would know little about that competition. :pac:

Yes I know that but to say they are "top quality" clubs is nonsense IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

No there isn't.

Excellent post, sums up my feelings exactly.

Up front, we have Giroud, with Podolski, Walcott (both proven Premiership goalscorers), Sanogo and Akpom (two kids with potential as back-up).

No point buying a mediocre talent like Soldado for 20-30m to act as further back-up. Instead, a real world-class talent like Benzema, Rooney, Higuain or Suarez was what we were looking for.

A late attempt to loan Ba as a stop-gap was an interesting back-up to the aim of a top striker.

• Advertisement

no, not that easily. You're can't demand a 30 goal per season striker and then say 'oh it's the scouts job' to get you off the hook. You're whinging for the sake of whinging.

There's very few people who could hit 30 in a season. One of them has to be available you say, now name him.

My suggestion would be a french guy, last year he played 47 games but it was his first time in a new league. This season he's averaging 0.8gpg over a small enough sample but that's be 37/38 goals so he could even afford to drop off a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

From BBC Sporf on twitter...

BREAKING: Concern for the Sky Sports News reporter, as the annual Stoke City zombies have gathered.

BTLzuqfCEAAA-N_.png:large

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No there isn't.

We were 100% in for Ba too over the last few hours. If you include Benzema we've tried to sign 4 strikers, and Ba shows that being the best in the world wasn't a necessity. Very strange to spend most of the summer trying to sign a striker only to not nab one in the end. Still time of course. :)

Don't want to alarm anyone, but there's rumours starting to surface that the Ozil deal could be off as United's Di Maria bid have made Madrid reconsider letting him go. Could very well be spoofers on twitter just trying to troll us.

Yes I know that but to say they are "top quality" clubs is nonsense IMO

I'm not saying that but a Spurs fan is questioning the calibre of club we're buying from and I'm just reminding them that two of them are better than Spurs

Nah of coarse they don't every player we have ever signed was just picked randomly from a hat :rolleyes:.

Relax on the negativity man, it's getting tiresome.

Oh lets all hold hands and sing Wenger's praises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I think Walcott could do a good job up front if given a proper run. If, as looks likely, we won't now get a striker then that's very disappointing. Ozil will provide plenty of chances for our forwards. 47 assists in 2 seasons according to the guy sat next to Quinn who looks either hungover or coming down off a coke binge

Ozil had 94 assists for club & country over the last three seasons, fabregas had 47 - this was said on BBC earlier

they're having a deadline day thing on the red button in case anyone doesn't know or have sky

Oh lets all hold hands and sing Wenger's praises

having a fúcking day off you miserable git

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I agree with Gosplan. There is no point wasting money on a 2nd best striker when we want a world class one.

batistuta9 wrote: »

be nice

be nice

Did you skip my post on purpose. Back up your bullshít. Name three strikers of the same quality of RvP that we could've bought?

• Advertisement

no, not that easily. You're can't demand a 30 goal per season striker and then say 'oh it's the scouts job' to get you off the hook. You're whinging for the sake of whinging.

There's very few people who could hit 30 in a season. One of them has to be available you say, now name him.

My suggestion would be a french guy, last year he played 47 games but it was his first time in a new league. This season he's averaging 0.8gpg over a small enough sample but that's be 37/38 goals so he could even afford to drop off a bit.

You'd be a ****ing nightmare to watch The X-Factor with.

Mo Farah on SSN now :pac:

Mo Farah on the phone now, who said he's got better things to be doing? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Getting a bit scary now. It's taking too long to finalize this deal. Something wrong I fear. Is there a third party sticking their oar in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

And I thought I was negative...

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Mo Farah on the phone now, who said he's got better things to be doing? :pac:

:pac: yeah

Peggy Mitchell (can't mind her real name) will be on next, she's an arsenal fan too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

gandalf wrote: »
    I agree with Gosplan. There is no point wasting money on a 2nd best striker when we want a world class one.

Right but we were looking for Ba on loan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

batistuta9 wrote: »

Uncalled for!

one bad tackle on Giroud and we're screwed

I get that we're just different types of supporters and we've gotten into heated discussions way too much over the summer, but i wish you just wouldn't focus on the lack of a backup to Giroud as opposed to the fact we just signed Ozil.

Ozil!!!

This is faith rewarded and patience justified. This is years of signing nobody and losing our best players.

The fact that we just smashed our transfer record and are about to pay someone 200kpw is the last 10 years of financial prudence paying off.

The club can now afford to, and it seems intend to, compete for the best players to put us right at the top.

But we're not an oil club. We can't just sign a new squad like Chelsea or City did.

My advice from here on in is to be a bit more patient and enjoy the good times for as long as they last. if we don't sign anyone now, just cross your fingers and hope nothing happens to Giroud.

If it does, Janurary should at least be interesting

All the worry about the new owners, all the talk of Wenger never intending to spend really, of it being smoke and mirrors. The evidence of our targets this summer and the amount we're about to splash on Ozil would suggest the club will spend, but spend wisely.

• Advertisement

Getting a bit scary now. It's taking too long to finalize this deal. Something wrong I fear. Is there a third party sticking their oar in?

Mentioned it already but I don't think anyone noticed. Romours United have bid for Di Maria which has lead RM to reconsider letting Ozil go. Taking it with a giant pinch of salt though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement