Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Am I the only one who thinks its 2 points dropped needlessly?
    We were too slow making changes. Gnabry should have been on for Jack before the 30 minute mark. I like Jack but he's not on form. We started off playing far too slowly and we need the quick ball to thrive.

Me I'm a little annoyed it's west brom

Why the double pivot

Drop arteta, play Ramsey in his best position and have gnabry on the right

Double pivot is good against the better teams but we should be going after these games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Being on the wing does not explain giving the ball away all the time though.

It does when Gibbs is meant to be there to support in defence and attack and somehow never manages to be there for either. For me Gibbs was the worst player on the pitch today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It does when Gibbs is meant to be there to support in defence and attack and somehow never manages to be there for either. For me Gibbs was the worst player on the pitch today.

I agree but Jack's control of the ball was terrible today. He kept falling on his arse and losing the ball. We can't blame Gibbs for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I agree but Jack's control of the ball was terrible today. He kept falling on his arse and losing the ball. We can't blame Gibbs for that.

He didn't have a great first half but he showed great character in the second half.

Most players would drop the head.

True Wilshere was poor no defending his performance in the first half especially just felt he has come in for to much flak and especially in the match thread seemed to be getting singled out, especially since the player he would be relying on for support was far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Wilshere seems to be a popular whipping boy for boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Why the double pivot

Double pivot is good against the better teams but we should be going after these games

Think we will see a lot of that away this season.

Why the double pivot

Agreed we should have set up to go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Agreed we should have set up to go for it.

Or changed it when we got the goal back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I do think injuries finally caught up with us today. We were in a good position, 1-1 with half an hour to go, if we had Walcott/Ox/Podolski/Cazorla to bring on we probably would have been able to bring home the 3 points.

• Advertisement

jonny666 wrote: »
    Or changed it when we got the goal back

Or we could have been 3 ahead and we wouldn't have been talking about having to come back from a goal down.

I think it's a good point

I just feel we should be aiming for three and settling for 1

But with that line up it's like we were more than happy with 1

Would love to see a replay of the refs freeq etc.

I really think he had an awful game today and screwed us over.

Good point was made in the match thread a few mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Wilshere was **** today because West Brom were targeting him. In the first half there were usually 2 or 3 men around him whenever he got the ball, and he was constantly body checked or sandwiched between multiple players. He lost the head a bit after it initially but in the second half he regained his composure and showed what he can do with his goal. Really unfair to have a go at him for his performance today, it was a difficult environment for all of them.

I also suspect WBA may have watered the pitch before the game. It was a dry day so I'm assuming most of our guys would have picked the firm ground boots, but we were slipping all over the place and WBA weren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

the way the game was going, it could be 3 points or nothing. So, though not on cloud nine, I am OK with the 1 point.
    I think we missed the injured players today, people the likes of Walcott and Cazorla.
    To me it looks like Giroud is a bit cut-off without Theo on the side as the link and has to move away from the opponents area to get balls.
    And we need to get the ball moving quickly to fully benefit from Mesut's abilities.
    Although the team has momentum, I'm gladly taking the international break and get a couple of players back after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Happy with the point, tough place to go, not many will go there and win. win our next two before the tough run and ill be delighted

Being happy with a point today pretty much confirms not having any title pretensions.
    While Wilshere was certainly targetted, Ozil and Ramsey didn't take advantage of space that should've been left because of it. Ozil made some nice passes but **** all else. The match today was a perfect time to only have one of Arteta/Flamini on, can't understand the tactics at all.

Being happy with a point today pretty much confirms not having any title pretensions.
    While Wilshere was certainly targetted, Ozil and Ramsey didn't take advantage of space that should've been left because of it. Ozil made some nice passes but **** all else. The match today was a perfect time to only have one of Arteta/Flamini on, can't understand the tactics at all.

this team beat the champions at home last week, nothing wrong with a point.

Raf32 wrote: »
    this team beat the champions at home last week, nothing wrong with a point.

Same bull**** applies to a lot of teams. There'll be plenty of times playing against ****e teams who will have recently had a decent result, should still be besting midtable sides most of the time. Currently we're ahead of Liverpool on goals scored and despite how shaky they look at times they've probably had a tougher start than us. If Spurs had won today I'm sure there'd be a lot more people upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think it's a good point

I just feel we should be aiming for three and settling for 1

But with that line up it's like we were more than happy with 1

Just Rosicky and Gnabry left out though. Not many options available and given things went so well against Napoli, you can understand keeping the formation.

IMO it's just the usual 'tough away game after midweek CL' slump.

Ideally we would have rotated and seen Wally, Caz and Pod come in behind the striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I think Arsenal earned more than a point today. A loss would have seen a considerable loss of confidence. It was a bad day at the office, with the likes of even Ozil just not getting to his game. In fairness West Brom are looking very good indeed.

Far from perfect from Arsenal but avoided a potential disaster and the effect of the game on morale will not to be too bad, or what it could have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

You can't win them all. We're on a good unbeaten wrong and long may it last. Arsenal are a confidence team, slating them endlessly won't do them any good. Give the lads the confidence the keep approaching every game with positivity or we'll just get demolished by the top 4 contenders when the games come

gosplan wrote: »
    Just Rosicky and Gnabry left out though. Not many options available and given things went so well against Napoli, you can understand keeping the formation.

IMO it's just the usual 'tough away game after midweek CL' slump.

Ideally we would have rotated and seen Wally, Caz and Pod come in behind the striker.

My gripe was more ye two holding and playing Ramsey out of position

One holding and a natural winger one I think would have been enough

Same bull**** applies to a lot of teams. There'll be plenty of times playing against ****e teams who will have recently had a decent result, should still be besting midtable sides most of the time. Currently we're ahead of Liverpool on goals scored and despite how shaky they look at times they've probably had a tougher start than us. If Spurs had won today I'm sure there'd be a lot more people upset.

Only team of note they have beat is united, drew with Swansea. think we have similar enough fixtures

Raf32 wrote: »
    Only team of note they have beat is united, drew with Swansea. think we have similar enough fixtures

Yep, similar, they've played teams on average slightly ahead of the teams we've played. They also finished 7th last year :P

Yep, similar, they've played teams on average slightly ahead of the teams we've played. They also finished 7th last year :P

they will drop off I feel, too many weak areas, wont be in contention for top three but could be dangerous for fourth, but Chelsea are slowly creeping up now! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We should have shown our intentions from the start today and gone at them.
    Same as we did against Napoli, up and at them from the off.
    We are not going to win all our games but we should do our best to try.
    The record of away wins was on. We should have played it like a cup final.

I'm a bit disappointed but we are still tops at least.

Maybe its the game where of realised we still have to put in a shift to get results, it might stop complacency, and I'd rather it today than against one of our rivals, which would knock our confidence altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I agree with button, yeah brom were set up well and are a decent team but a championship winning side should beat that level of opposition. We were somewhat fortunate today anelka missed a couple of sitters to make it two nil. A draw isn't the end of the world but I feel a bit deflated with the performance which was below par. Hopefully we don't suffer euro hangovers like that vs United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I dont consider WBA a mid table side. I'd say they are easily in contention for the Europa League. Not good enough to get Champions League, but much better than the midtable clubs with no chance of Europe.

A draw isnt a bad result, but I think a full team would have won it.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I dont consider WBA a mid table side. I'd say they are easily in contention for the Europa League. Not good enough to get Champions League, but much better than the midtable clubs with no chance of Europe.

A draw isnt a bad result, but I think a full team would have won it.

Who are they going to leapfrog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Who are they going to leapfrog?

They are in contention. Doesnt mean they get it. spurs are in contention for the Champions League every season but almost never get it.

Saying they're in contention suggests they have a chance, what chance or odds do you think they have of getting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Very difficult to see them going for Europa League. me thinks. Although they seem pretty strong atm, I can't see them surviving for the whole 38 gameweeks near the top-6.
    On another note, glad to see Spurs being demolished today. It was getting annoying see them winning 1-0 without playing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Have to admit, my reaction when AW resigned Flamini was something along the lines of "Why the hell would you want to resign that money grabbing turncoat??", I didn't want him, considered him a has been.

Delighted that the tenacious little so and so has made me eat my words.

Not going to complain too much about today, not the result I would have wanted this morning but up until 6 months ago disappointing results were a much more regular occurrence than they are now. I'll take that thank you very much.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with been disappointed today

What you'd see from a title winning side would be to go behind and win anyway.

We were heading that way but with no attacking substitutes of any real note a draw is the best we could do.

These are the matches where Fergie always had that brilliant and hungry third striker - Ole, Berbatov, Hernandez and so on. We had TGSTEL.

I don't think it's about playing a doible pivot or how you view a single point as opposed to three, but rather having the mental and footballing resources to hold firm and come back when you go behind. Today we had the mental resources but nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

gosplan wrote: »
    Today we had the mental resources but nothing else.

Extremely well put.

And for me today highlights the folly of having 1 Centre Forward in the squad - i'm not counting TGSTEL as one, Walcott isn't one, Poldi is a better LWF or second striker than a CF.

If giroud loses form or gets injured any hopes we have of better-than-fourth will evaporate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Lads lets keep things in perspective, the invincibles squad drew against the likes of Leicester city, Portsmouth (twice), Everton (who were almost relegated that year) and Spurs (who finished 14th).

This result is indicative of nothing, yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

TGSTEL????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

astonaidan wrote: »
    TGSTEL????

The greatest striker that ever lived I think in relation to bendy boats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

So Giroud has scored one goal in 6 games... I'l just throwing that out there. I was disappointed at his performance v WBA. Had me going mad with his flicks and kicking the ball away and generally being terrible. He also missed a sitter. Tbh with that midfield behind him he should be scoring more. I know, I know I'm being a tad negative here but what are peoples opinions on getting another option in January? By option I mean someone better than Giroud if available. Do people still think Giroud is good enough?

FearDark wrote: »
    So Giroud has scored one goal in 6 games... I'l just throwing that out there. I was disappointed at his performance v WBA. Had me going mad with his flicks and kicking the ball away and generally being terrible. He also missed a sitter. Tbh with that midfield behind him he should be scoring more. I know, I know I'm being a tad negative here but what are peoples opinions on getting another option in January? By option I mean someone better than Giroud if available. Do people still think Giroud is good enough?

The midfield behind him was pants yesterday
    Can't see a better player arriving in January

The midfield behind him was pants yesterday
    Can't see a better player arriving in January

The midfield wasn't at its best yesterday but that can't have all the blame laid at it's feet either for his poor performance I do like him and rate him but I'm still not convinced he can be the top top striker we want or need, in a two up front formation I think might suit him better.

His link up play and holding up of the ball can be brilliant but it is his finishing which can let him down a lot. But who knows maybe Wenger can make him the top CF we need it's certainly one thingWenger has proved himself more than capable of doing over the years.

But yeh you are right can't see us getting a big name striker in January very rarely do them kind of moves happen in January.

I agree I just can't help thinking were a world class striker away from a title winning side.

We need a striker who can create a goal for himself too instead of relying on others.

United have van persie and Rooney, city aguero, Liverpool Suarez. Obviously Wenger realises this too. But all we can hope is giroud stays injury free and lets see what happens in January.

I agree I just can't help thinking were a world class striker away from a title winning side.

Perhaps but the jump from 4th and nearly 20 points back all the way to first would be practically unprecedented. I just hope that Wenger's not going to carry some more blame at the end of the season because if you look at last year vrs this year, there's serious progress.

Kind of agree with myself about the need for good backup though. Was thinking about it there and Fergie even got a couple of points out of Michael Owen, didn't he? I get that a draw isn't a tragedy but a great squad with great back up players might have turned that into a win. A few of those per year and you're 4-6 points better off which makes all the difference when it comes to the run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'd fancy West brom to comfortably finish in the top half this season so a point from a game which you were losing isn't a bad result. Title ambitions and all that I know but considering Spurs lost it wasn't a bad weekend for you lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yes, he did a pretty good job last season and he's come on leaps and bounds this. Not only in his goal-scoring but he's all round support play. He didn't have the greatest of games yesterday but was heavily involved in Wilshere's goal and kept plugging away. He really does need support though. He has played virtually 90 mins of every game this season (until Bendtner gave him a break in the League Cup and 5 minutes yesterday). Away with France now and I worry that he'll be absolutely wrecked by the time we're in a position to give him some proper support.

Does anyone else think we're getting carried away with Title talk??

I certainly do and still think we're not a title winning team yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

EPL 19-10-2013 Arsenal vs Norwich
    ICL 22-10-2013 Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund
    EPL 26-10-2013 Crystal Palace vs Arsenal
    CC 29-10-2013 Arsenal vs Chelsea
    EPL 02-11-2013 Arsenal vs Liverpool
    ICL 06-11-2013 Borussia Dortmund vs Arsenal
    EPL 10-11-2013 Manchester United vs Arsenal
    EPL 23-11-2013 Arsenal vs Southampton

Some fixture list we've got now. When are Theo and Santi back?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement