Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Does anyone else think we're getting carried away with Title talk??

I certainly do and still think we're not a title winning team yet

I think we have improved on last season and the teams that finished above us are readjusting to new managers. It's still very early days, of course, but I think we look more like contenders than we have done in previous seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

AdamD wrote: »
    EPL 19-10-2013 Arsenal vs Norwich
    ICL 22-10-2013 Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund
    EPL 26-10-2013 Crystal Palace vs Arsenal
    CC 29-10-2013 Arsenal vs Chelsea
    EPL 02-11-2013 Arsenal vs Liverpool
    ICL 06-11-2013 Borussia Dortmund vs Arsenal
    EPL 10-11-2013 Manchester United vs Arsenal
    EPL 23-11-2013 Arsenal vs Southampton

Some fixture list we've got now. When are Theo and Santi back?

Think Santi is back after the international break.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

greendom wrote: »
    I think we have improved on last season and the teams that finished above us are readjusting to new managers. It's still very early days, of course, but I think we look more like contenders than we have done in previous seasons.

Just talking about the league if we can close that 19/20 point gap down a lot I would see that as a successful league campaign

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

If we are within 1 game (3pts) of top after those fixtures then I'd see that as a good run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Hyzepher wrote: »
    If we are within 1 game (3pts) of top after those fixtures then I'd see that as a good run.

Assuming we make it out of the CL group too, I assume.

I think we should be top after that. 5/6 points from Liverpool & Chelsea at home and Man Utd away should be manageable, and if we beat Liverpool, which we should, then that would be enough to leave us top still if we win vs Norwich, Palace and Southampton.

We have 2 points more than Chelsea, and 3 more than City. If we beat Pool we'll have 3 over them. Draw (at least) with Chelsea and assuming City draw at least one game, we should still be top. City play Chelsea on the 27th, points will be dropped by someone there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

These fixtures will give us a good indication of where we are. Not quite title contenders i suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Assuming we make it out of the CL group too, I assume.

I think we should be top after that. 5/6 points from Liverpool & Chelsea at home and Man Utd away should be manageable, and if we beat Liverpool, which we should, then that would be enough to leave us top still if we win vs Norwich, Palace and Southampton.

We have 2 points more than Chelsea, and 3 more than City. If we beat Pool we'll have 3 over them. Draw (at least) with Chelsea and assuming City draw at least one game, we should still be top. City play Chelsea on the 27th, points will be dropped by someone there.

chelseas the cup game i think

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Raf32 wrote: »
    chelseas the cup game i think
    Yes but we play Chelsea in the league at home on December 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

jonny666 wrote: »
    These fixtures will give us a good indication of where we are. Not quite title contenders i suspect.

I agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Not an Arsenal fan (or of any club in particular) but do really enjoy watching them. Point I want to make is, that I don't rate Giroud highly at all. I think Arsenal are a very good striker away from really challenging for the league. He just doesn't have the skills/touch/football brain that you see in the really good strikers.

Benteke would be just ideal for them. Anyway, I think they have a great shot at the league this year, some mid-field they have.

GBXI wrote: »
    Not an Arsenal fan (or of any club in particular) but do really enjoy watching them. Point I want to make is, that I don't rate Giroud highly at all. I think Arsenal are a very good striker away from really challenging for the league. He just doesn't have the skills/touch/football brain that you see in the really good strikers.

Benteke would be just ideal for them. Anyway, I think they have a great shot at the league this year, some mid-field they have.

Giroud is doing a great job for us this year, (far better than any of the Chelsea strikers for example) but I'd be delighted if he had competition with Benteke for the spot, or even the 2 of them playing together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Indeed, a lot of teams struggle to find that elusive top class frontman. Spurs have been struggling for years with it and only recently bought Soldado. Chelsea haven't replaced Drogba and keep loaning out Lukaku. Only City and United can boast an established world class strike force.

Benteke's goal scoring record for Villa is excellent but there is a big difference in scoring for a mid table club and for a top 4 club. You just have to look at Demba Ba for Newcastle and then for Chelsea.....the gulf in class is a big one.

Like Giroud, Benteke is still unproven at the very highest level so I'm not sure replacing Giroud with him would be a big step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I think you haven't been watching Giroud enough. His hold up play is brilliant, I'd say better than Bentekes. Look at the Napoli game, he won every header, and laid it off to a teammate every time (see the Ozil goal). Obviously there's question marks over his goalscoring, but his all round game is superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think you haven't been watching Giroud enough. His hold up play is brilliant, I'd say better than Bentekes. Look at the Napoli game, he won every header, and laid it off to a teammate every time (see the Ozil goal). Obviously there's question marks over his goalscoring, but his all round game is superb.

His link up play was muck at the weekend though. He lost the ball constantly and kept trying these silly little flicks. A bad day at the office and I wouldn't condemn him for it as everyone has bad days but he was fairly shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Kirby wrote: »
    Indeed, a lot of teams struggle to find that elusive top class frontman. Spurs have been struggling for years with it and only recently bought Soldado. Chelsea haven't replaced Drogba and keep loaning out Lukaku. Only City and United can boast an established world class strike force.

Benteke's goal scoring record for Villa is excellent but there is a big difference in scoring for a mid table club and for a top 4 club. You just have to look at Demba Ba for Newcastle and then for Chelsea.....the gulf in class is a big one.

Like Giroud, Benteke is still unproven at the very highest level so I'm not sure replacing Giroud with him would be a big step up.

Liverpool have Suarez, he would fit us so well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Giroud is currently hampered by the fact we're playing with no wingers and 5 CMFs.

Giroud is never going to get crosses pumped into the box but it's clear to see that he's always going to do better stepping in front of someone and getting balls played in from the byline rather than trying to play off the shoulder of the last man.

Ozil to Walcott to Giroud is a goal we'll see a lot of this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

His link up play was muck at the weekend though. He lost the ball constantly and kept trying these silly little flicks. A bad day at the office and I wouldn't condemn him for it as everyone has bad days but he was fairly shocking.

Yeah he didn't play well yesterday. To be fair to him, nobody did really, bar Koscielny, Flamini and Sczezney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

He still played an important part in setting up the goal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Like a drug addict when the high stops there's a come down, same with us, we have pod walcott and Santi to come back and these guys are match winners.

November should tell us where the teams at, but the league is there for taking!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

One draw and poor performance from the whole team and Giroud is crap again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

We will go through the next month and a half of fixtures like champions and we will be top of the league.

This is our time to shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Not being funny with you but have you watched Arsenal on a consistent basis lately?

Giroud in the last six months has really come into his own in terms of hold up play and distribution for his position. He has become instrumental to our counter attacking play lately by holding up the ball from long forward passes and distributing out wide to the oncoming runners. It has been brillant to watch.

He is not banging them in like Suarez might do but I feel he offers plenty to the overall shape and movement of the team.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Not being funny with you but have you watched Arsenal on a consistent basis lately?

Giroud in the last six months has really come into his own in terms of hold up play and distribution for his position. He has become instrumental to our counter attacking play lately by holding up the ball from long forward passes and distributing out wide to the oncoming runners. It has been brillant to watch.

He is not banging them in like Suarez might do but I feel he offers plenty to the overall shape and movement of the team.

Yesterday was the first full match I've seen them play since their opening CL game. Fair enough, we'll see how he gets on over the whole season. I just don't see the footballing brain mixed with the consistent talent, but it's early days for him I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yea Giroud hadn't the best game yesterday but very few Arsenal players did, including the goal-scorer.

I like him a lot, has great physical presence (moreso than say Van Persie), great touch, knows his job re: laying off to players after holding up the ball. He gives a viable outlet for a long ball. His positioning can be excellent, he was wandering offside a bit yesterday but generally he seems to hold his runs well.

But let's be honest, he scores his goals around the 6 yard box. That's where he is devastating, where his runs are most effective (always finds ways to get in front of his man) and he is clinical when the attacks pan out this way.

Imo, and it has been said on here I think, though arsenal don't absolutely have to player 'wingers', they were definitely missing one dimension in the game yesterday. Walcott, although I'm not his biggest fan, when he plays I'd imagine giroud gets more goals.

I think the full backs of west brom yesterday got one of their easier games of the season.

Giroud is playing excellently and when we have our wingers back he will be even better. One thing that goes unnoticed is how much he helps us on defending set pieces, lost count how many clearances he has contributed to. Hard worker as well which all adds to an overall great player and not just a poacher, ie: Hernandez. His assists and hold up play have been vital this year and I feel thats why we have seen the improvement of our midfielders and especially ramsey, as he gives them time to get in on the attacks. A Saurez like striker to compliment him and we are a backup for Per away from being a genuine top team I feel.

Reus is doubtful for the first game at the Emirates. Add to that that Sahin, Bender, Pizszceck, Kehl, Schmelzer, Gundogan & Subotic are all out along with Klopp suspended, I expect us to win the home game, moving us on to 9 points and all but secure qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

All of Giroud's goals so far this season have been first time shots, apart from the Fulham goal which was after a flukey first touch. This worries me, when he has time to think his composure is a bit dodgy. Missed 2 great chances yesterday from Wilshere and Ozil passes.

Cazorla, Sagna & Walcott are hopeful of returning for Arsenal's next game vs Norwich. Podolski could also be ready. (ES)
    YESSS!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I know I have been a big critic of Chesney but mother of jaysus that was some save he pulled off yesterday, that was a loss only for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Chesney super alright. But conceed in the next game and it will be back to the 'he isn't good enough' line once again.

People need to relax on Giroud a bit, his 2nd season for us, playing every game up front on his own in a physical league, with no wingers to support him. I find some of the critism baffling.

The team looked out on their feet yesterday, we really need to get a few bodies back now and recharge and push on again, I'm confident we will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I know I have been a big critic of Chesney but mother of jaysus that was some save he pulled off yesterday, that was a loss only for him.

He’s a cocky baxtard, but he can back it up like he has been doing since the villa game – where he did that bizarre tackle business and everyone’s hearts were in their mouths .
    I’m a fan of his, he loves the club, has talent, is incredibly confident and will only get better. Him playing “when the spurs go marching in” on the piano after the 1-0 vs Tottenham was class.
    When he left the ball go out vs Swansea, that was pretty cool too, although I was screaming at the TV.
    His negative points are: occasional brainfarts, occasional dodgy footwork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Chesney super alright. But conceed in the next game and it will be back to the 'he isn't good enough' line once again.

People need to relax on Giroud a bit, his 2nd season for us, playing every game up front on his own in a physical league, with no wingers to support him. I find some of the critism baffling.

The team looked out on their feet yesterday, we really need to get a few bodies back now and recharge and push on again, I'm confident we will.

I don't think anyones been over critical of Giroud in here, but there is a few (myself included) who don't think he is as good as some of you think. He's great at linking himself and midfield together and makes intelligent runs (gibbs should have squared the ball to him yesterday) Wilsheres goal aside yesterday Giroud doesn't "create" enough goals for me, he's probably that "fox in the box" we said we always needed tbh but I still don't think he's the answer for us if we have aspirations of winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

FearDark wrote: »
    I don't think anyones been over critical of Giroud in here, but there is a few (myself included) who don't think he is as good as some of you think. He's great at linking himself and midfield together and makes intelligent runs (gibbs should have squared the ball to him yesterday) Wilsheres goal aside yesterday Giroud doesn't "create" enough goals for me, he's probably that "fox in the box" we said we always needed tbh but I still don't think he's the answer for us if we have aspirations of winning the league.

Exactly I like Giroud but I just don't think he will get us goals in the same way Henry, Wright, RVP or even Anelka did in his short time with us.

There is a reason Wenger was looking at Higuain and Suarez during the summer and you can be sure it wasn't to play them on the wings.

I think Giroud would be perfect in a front two playing the deeper role but currently we don't play that system. Although in saying that I do also think he will fare better once we have some proper width back in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

giroud wasn't too bad the other day, the midfield stank a little behind him. The keeper did really well for the chance from the Wilshere pass.

I've not put too much thought into this but last Tuesday he set Ramsey up for the cross to Ozil and traded 1 - 2s with Ozil for his goal.

greendom wrote: »
    I've not put too much thought into this but last Tuesday he set Ramsey up for the cross to Ozil and traded 1 - 2s with Ozil for his goal.

I accept that. I'm probably expecting too much from him given we have had Bergkamp, Henry and RVP before him, players capable of going round a few defenders and making something out of nothing.

I accept that. I'm probably expecting too much from him given we have had Bergkamp, Henry and RVP before him, players capable of going round a few defenders and making something out of nothing.

I think that's what I was trying to say about Giroud, he can't/won't produce that bit of magic you like to see from your striker. He's a good player not a great player, to quote a gobsh1te!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

So in the last 6 months Chesney, Mert, Flamini, Ramsey, Jack, Theo, and Giroud all not good enough (I've prob forgotten a few) to be part of a title winning or even contending team - jaysus that Wenger is some genius to have us top of the table!

So in the last 6 months Chesney, Mert, Flamini, Ramsey, Jack, Theo, and Giroud all not good enough (I've prob forgotten a few) to be part of a title winning or even contending team - jaysus that Wenger is some genius to have us top of the table!

There's always one thankswhore ready to pounce when there is a discussion going on.

• Advertisement

For the record I've always supported and been a big fan of Sczez,Mert, Jack and Theo had my doubts about Ramsey and Flamini ( who even when signed I did say I had no problem with as it gave us depth no one thought he would be as good as he has been) and most who say they didn't would be lying.

I still think we will contend this year just think we can and possibly should be aiming for a better CF than Giroud clearly Wenger agrees given two of his targets this summer were Higuain and Suarez.

I love when people take a discussion out of context and instead make general sweeping statements like the one above.

For the record I've always supported and been a big fan of Sczez,Mert, Jack and Theo had my doubts about Ramsey and Flamini ( who even when signed I did say I had no problem with as it gave us depth no one thought he would be as good as he has been) and most who say they didn't would be lying.

I still think we will contend this year just think we can and possibly should be aiming for a better CF than Giroud clearly Wenger agrees given two of his targets this summer were Higuain and Suarez.

I love when people take a discussion out of context and instead make general sweeping statements like the one above.

My post was not directed at you Marty or anyone else in isolation either merely pointing out the fact that over 50% of our team have at one time or another been written off by our own ''fans''.

The fact that you are so sensitive on the issue says it all really :rolleyes:

There's always one thankswhore ready to pounce when there is a discussion going on.

There does be alot more than one negative, stick the knife in, type of poster though eh ;)??

My post was not directed at you Marty or anyone else in isolation either merely pointing out the fact that over 50% of our team have at one time or another been written off by our own ''fans''.

The fact that you are so sensitive on the issue says it all really :rolleyes:

:pac: I'm not sensitive on the issue just pointing out there was a genuine discussion going on and you came in making pointless sweeping statements :rolleyes:.

Nor did I say it was directed at me :confused: I just responded to your post to cunteract the sweeping statement.

:pac: I'm not sensitive on the issue just pointing out there was a genuine discussion going on and you came in making pointless sweeping statements :rolleyes:.

Nor did I say it was directed at me :confused: I just responded to your post to cunteract the sweeping statement.

How was it pointless to point out that there is a pattern and a history here of writing off and criticising our own players?

How was it pointless to point out that there is a pattern and a history here of writing off and criticising our own players?

Because it was a sweeping statement pretty much tarring every fan with the same brush ;).

Plus no one here has really labelled Giroud a bad player people were discussing his strengths and weakness haven't seen anyone one come in and completely slate him everyone knows his link up play is immense but his finishing at time can sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

It was taking the current discussion on Giroud out of context ;).

• Advertisement

Nobodys writing anybody off, read the page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So Giroud has scored one goal in 6 games... I'l just throwing that out there. I was disappointed at his performance v WBA. Had me going mad with his flicks and kicking the ball away and generally being terrible. He also missed a sitter. Tbh with that midfield behind him he should be scoring more. I know, I know I'm being a tad negative here but what are peoples opinions on getting another option in January? By option I mean someone better than Giroud if available. Do people still think Giroud is good enough?

I don't remember one good cross coming into him in the entire match.
    He did miss a good chance after being played in through the middle though but others have missed chances lately too including Ozil.

Because it was a sweeping statement pretty much tarring every fan with the same brush ;).

It certainly wasn't intended that way and Im not sure how it could be interperted that way either, just made an abservation that alot of supporters here have a tendancy to be overly critical of some of our players at times which I stand by, all of the players I named have come in for undue criticism at one point or another with Ramsey and Mert been the most obvious ones and look at them now.

It certainly wasn't intended that way and Im not sure how it could be interperted that way either, just made an abservation that alot of supporters here have a tendancy to be overly critical of some of our players at times which I stand by, all of the players I named have come in for undue criticism at one point or another with Ramsey and Mert been the most obvious ones and look at them now.

The discussion in hand was about Giroud and if you read back over it you cant possibly say it was overly critical at all.

Ok apologies maybe it came across wrong or I took it up the wrong way :o.

What you say is true football is a very fickle game these days. The Mert one always baffled me from me day one I foundhim to be a great calming influence in the defence yeh he had the odd mishap but he has been constantly improving.

Ramsey came in for a lot undue stick people forgot he wa young and suffered a bad injury same way I think Wilshere is coming in for a lot of unjust stick at the moment he will be a terrific player imo but he has had a lot of injuries and is still very young look at the bigger picture and have some patience with young players imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement