Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

FearDark wrote: »
    The discussion in hand was about Giroud and if you read back over it you cant possibly say it was overly critical at all.

to be fair Fear the discussion is Arsenal Football Club and everything that relates to same, I did make the point in my initial post that the pattern I was referring to was over a 6 month period, not exclusively to the last two or three pages, we'll just agree to disagree, last thing I want to do is fall out with fellow Gooners, theres plaenty of Spuds around for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Giroud is a 12million player, he's good value for that but is it possible to win a league with just one striker of his level?
    I think he's a good player(he's a cult hero) , in the role he plays, holding the ball up and muscling defenders, linking play, he can be really good. I'd love a quick striker as another option. Wenger will hopefully buy someone in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

maybe going mad here and havent seen it suggested but what about Ox as a striker? wants to play centrally, fast and strong, great dribbler with a great long range shot, maybe worth a try? or maybe i need to go back to bed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Raf32 wrote: »
    maybe going mad here and havent seen it suggested but what about Ox as a striker? wants to play centrally, fast and strong, great dribbler with a great long range shot, maybe worth a try? or maybe i need to go back to bed :pac:

Go back to bed :P.

Wenger and Chamberlain himself have said they see him playing centrally in the future but more AM role than CF but yeh never know I supposse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Nor did I say it was directed at me :confused: I just responded to your post to cunteract the sweeping statement.

To be honest, while I agree that it seems you were just responding to a "Sweeping statement", not many people start their replies by saying "You directed that at me... [Insert argument here]" :rolleyes:

I believe that it's worth pointing out Giroud's talented contribution to the Arsenal goal. Have a look at the goal again if you want to see.
    A poor game in general from him, but sweet play centre forward play for the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Is Shane Long the striker we are looking for.

He has had a few good seasons with WBA, was impressive when he came on yesterday, got stuck in and made a nuisance of himself.

We know that WBA are willing to let him go................

Not a €40m striker but a very useful €10-15m one and I think he plays the way Wenger likes his players to play.

Maybe ?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

dfbemt wrote: »

He has had a few good seasons with WBA, was impressive when he came on yesterday, got stuck in and made a nuisance of himself.

Not a €40m striker but a very useful €10-15m one and I think he plays the way Wenger likes his players to play.

Maybe ?!?

If he actually scored goals yeah sure, pity he doesn't!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

AdamD wrote: »
    If he actually scored goals yeah sure, pity he doesn't!

I looked up his record recently and its abysmal! 16 goals in 70 appearances. We are bombarded by the media about how great he is and anyone I talk to reckons he is unreal... mainly because I'm from Tipperary Town and given his St.Michaels AFC connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

dfbemt wrote: »

Maybe ?!?

id prefer Rickie Lambert :pac:

Giroud is the best striker we can get without spending 30million+. His lack of speed is his main weakness I think. His finishing can be pretty good. His hold up play is excellent. I cant think of anyone in the PL anyway who id start ahead of him except for the usual few of RVP/Rooney/Suarez and maybe one or two others.

Instead of spending bucket loads on a player to replace Giroud, I think id prefer a very very good winger whos decent up front. Podolski and Walcott dont tick both those boxes. Id like someone who can play with Giroud and who can replace him up front when needed.

unfortunately Suarez is that player I think!
    With hindsight Sturridge would have been a good option too but I dunno would I have been too pleased to see him coming at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I think over all Giroud has been excellent this year and last, the odd bad patch but new to club, PL, young etc...

I think he was a bit jaded yesterday, that affects his touch, his decision making all aspcts of his play, he took a kicking agains Napoli , played the full 90 and playing a lone role that adds up.
    Plus knowing that Wenger has no option but to hand him the CF spot cos he has no other options does not help him to keep his game on point.

Id like to have seen Wenger spend 5-10 million on a striker, a striker who has scored goals in the PL and who maybe going thru a bad patch, maybe even in a team who got relegated but with the right manager and the extra possesion Arsenal have could maybe contribute a few goals for a few seasons and relieve some of the pressure on Giroud, play this striker in the League Cup, play them for the last 10-15 mins of any PL games that are already done and dusted.

I love when people take a discussion out of context and instead make general sweeping statements.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sanogo will be a decent option I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

iNI6BIMbp37fh.gif

More of this and less falling over please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

So in the last 6 months Chesney, Mert, Flamini, Ramsey, Jack, Theo, and Giroud all not good enough (I've prob forgotten a few) to be part of a title winning or even contending team - jaysus that Wenger is some genius to have us top of the table!

i wonder what people think of liverpool?

There team and situation was worse then us yet joint top!

Brndon rodgers must be a legend too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I think over all Giroud has been excellent this year and last, the odd bad patch but new to club, PL, young etc...

I think he was a bit jaded yesterday, that affects his touch, his decision making all aspcts of his play, he took a kicking agains Napoli , played the full 90 and playing a lone role that adds up.
    Plus knowing that Wenger has no option but to hand him the CF spot cos he has no other options does not help him to keep his game on point.

Id like to have seen Wenger spend 5-10 million on a striker, a striker who has scored goals in the PL and who maybe going thru a bad patch, maybe even in a team who got relegated but with the right manager and the extra possesion Arsenal have could maybe contribute a few goals for a few seasons and relieve some of the pressure on Giroud, play this striker in the League Cup, play them for the last 10-15 mins of any PL games that are already done and dusted.

:D
    Sounds a bit like talking about auld Darren Bent

Loic Remy would have been a great signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

i wonder what people think of liverpool?

There team and situation was worse then us yet joint top!

Brndon rodgers must be a legend too?

Certainly a very clever move to not qualify for European competition last season - and to get not out of the league cup so early as well - genius !! Now they can spend their season concentrating on the league. Especially if they get knocked out of the 3rd round of the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

If you're going for a circa £10m striker then Remy is probably the best there is out there. Aside from the fact he is going through a purple patch right now, the guy is technically good, pacy and is a decent finisher.

Reus out of the Dortmund home game seemingly. Helps.

kryogen wrote: »
    Sanogo will be a decent option I reckon

Yeh I won't lie he has been kind of forgotten about given he's on the injury list with people looking forward more to the return Cazorla etc.

He did impress me with his performances for France during the summer but in his brief cameos for Arsenal he looked a bit lost and nervous. Hopefully he can adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Great finisher but he seems like a bit of a tosser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Benteke was the player we should have gone for. A huge beast who would scare and out-muscle defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think we were right to stay away from Benteke... let the lad prove his worth for another season, and if he's the real deal, then we should bid for him come the summer.

I can'[t see A.Villa holding on to him for another season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I think we were right to stay away from Benteke... let the lad prove his worth for another season, and if he's the real deal, then we should bid for him come the summer.

I can'[t see A.Villa holding on to him for another season
    You!! Shut it!!
    Hes the backbone to our title challenge next season!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Ain't Campbell doing well on loan again

Baffles me why we didn't keep him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Benteke was the player we should have gone for. A huge beast who would scare and out-muscle defenders.

Nah, we've got the beefy centre forward thing covered.

Now we need a lithe trickster.

Hopefully Liverpool's challenge falls apart a bit and we can give them loads of money for Suarez in the Winter window. Or get Rooney if Man U don't sort it out but my feeling is he's Chelsea bound.

There's not that many strikers good enough out there though, or at least there was but they all moved this year. And just for all those who were treating them like the next big thing, I'm not referring to Llamela, Osvaldo and Soldado.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

cough cough....Defoe :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

With Flamini already having 4 yellows cards is it better he gets booked again in the Norwich game in order to miss Palace or run the risk of him missing Liverpool or United.
    We could certainly do with him up in Old Trafford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

gosplan wrote: »
    Nah, we've got the beefy centre forward thing covered.

Now we need a lithe trickster.

Hopefully Liverpool's challenge falls apart a bit and we can give them loads of money for Suarez in the Winter window. Or get Rooney if Man U don't sort it out but my feeling is he's Chelsea bound.

There's not that many strikers good enough out there though, or at least there was but they all moved this year. And just for all those who were treating them like the next big thing, I'm not referring to Llamela, Osvaldo and Soldado.

do you deal with reality often?! Suarez nor Rooney will end up at Arsenal. The likelihood is Wenger will look to the foreign market for a striker. I reckon Yilmaz could be a possibility but he would cost big money also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

ronjo wrote: »
    With Flamini already having 4 yellows cards is it better he gets booked again in the Norwich game in order to miss Palace or run the risk of him missing Liverpool or United.
    We could certainly do with him up in Old Trafford.

yeah it would be

or else if the ban covers any domestic comp. get it against palace & he'd be suspended for the CC game against chelsea.
    still probably be better getting it against norwich though

he'll be banned for 2 games if he reaches 10 before sometime in april - which given the way he's picking them up is likely to happen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yeah it would be

or else if the ban covers any domestic comp. get it against palace & he'd be suspended for the CC game against chelsea.
    still probably be better getting it against norwich though

he'll be banned for 2 games if he reaches 10 before sometime in april - which given the way he's picking them up is likely to happen :pac:

He is just booting lads and making cynical fouls all over the place

I love it

• Advertisement

Hopefully more to come
    BWDHQAlIYAAZGn1.jpg

reportedly the new jersey, i like it!
    BWDJNnUIgAACuQH.jpg

i better get down to the gym if its one of those skin tight Jobbies.

but yeah it looks good on Titi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

slingerz wrote: »
    do you deal with reality often?! Suarez nor Rooney will end up at Arsenal. The likelihood is Wenger will look to the foreign market for a striker. I reckon Yilmaz could be a possibility but he would cost big money also.

Would probably have said the same about Ozil but look how that turned out. You never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

slingerz wrote: »

Hmmm, lovely tone there.

I kind of pointed out that Rooney is not going to end up at Arsenal all by myself. Thanks for your input though.

As regards Suarez, it would take Liverpool falling off and Real not being interested but given that Arsenal have already bid 40 million for him, well you know.

Suppose Real signed Ageuro, tell me where is a more obvious destination then?

bad2dabone wrote: »
    i better get down to the gym if its one of those skin tight Jobbies.

but yeah it looks good on Titi

Its what weve all been training for around here... The 2013/14 skin tight puma jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Its what weve all been training for around here... The 2013/14 skin tight puma jersey.

Slowly walks away from the double decker.... :(

Speaking of being too fat for jerseys...in BUSTING out of my one.. The new one. Its medium and I'd swap for any older jersey in a large...?? Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Speaking of being too fat for jerseys...in BUSTING out of my one.. The new one. Its medium and I'd swap for any older jersey in a large...?? Anyone?

Santos prob has a few large plus ones knocking about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

I don't know what's wrong with today's cloth manufacturers, they are just making slim fit clothes only :mad:. Do they think there's only skinny people left in the world or what , before anyone think I'm a fat fecker, I'm between L and XL.

• Advertisement

With you there. I'm normally a medium and the arsenal medium and the normal medium are a long way away!!!

#imafatbastard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Spare a thought. I used to be comfy in an XL. No more.

linked to winston reid, wouldnt be a bad fourth choice and backup to Per, then big money on a striker and we are set.

Santos prob has a few large plus ones knocking about :D

well he defo has an rvp one.

re the jerseys, I'm sure they'll bring out a fan - fit jersey. I don't fancy looking like a sausage next season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Why would they already have a jersey for next season? Were only 2 months into the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Why would they already have a jersey for next season? Were only 2 months into the new one.
    True enough and the price of the feckers is criminal, I remember you could get a jersey for 50 euro there 65 now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Gringo180 wrote: »
    True enough and the price of the feckers is criminal, I remember you could get a jersey for 50 euro there 65 now :o
    New kit manufacturer, so they're going to make sure to get as many early sales, and early exposure as possible.

Quazzie wrote: »
    New kit manufacturer, so they're going to make sure to get as many early sales, and early exposure as possible.

Very true plus that pic is fairly conclusive Linford Christie has since deleted the tweet mustn't have realised what he was leaking.

It mightn't be the final jersey but I'd say it will be fairly close to that.

Plus don't Puma have a history of making there jersey fairly skin tight with the Cameroon jersey?

Did man u get joint league winners medals in 2012?
    My Liverpool supporting brother thinks his team are joint top. Silly man.

• Advertisement

I think this is the second year we're wearing this one, no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement