Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Theres no harm in him considering his future after football, what did he get, probably Limousin him being French and all
    Funny you mention cows. I get a distinct feeling im gonna be reading bull**** over the next few days now:rolleyes:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I think the position you finish in does matter.

Dortmund got away with not having to play Barca or Bayern until the end. So position does help.

Yet United got Real Madrid in the first knock out round after topping their group. It's just luck of the draw imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I hate international breaks. Mixing my fix of mid week football.

At least it gives a chance for our injured players to get back. The downside being (a la Koscielny) that some uninjured ones get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Reports gathering pace that sagna will run down his contract and leave this summer on a free.
    What do we think about this?
    Personally I’ll be sad to see him go, and experienced player and versatile too. He’ll be missed.
    On the other hand it gives an opportunity for Jenks and Bellerin and perhaps we’ll sign another RB

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Reports gathering pace that sagna will run down his contract and leave this summer on a free.
    Personally I’ll be sad to see him go, and experienced player and versatile too. He’ll be missed.
    On the other hand it gives an opportunity for Jenks and Bellerin and perhaps we’ll sign another RB

Seems back to his best now after an (understandably) slow recovery from the double leg-break. Hope we convince him to stay on for another couple of years.

greendom wrote: »
    Hope we convince him to stay on for another couple of years.

ideally yeah, i'd like him to stay on another 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

If he stays great. If not I feel like jenks is capable of stepping up to the challenge.

Sagna has been better this year but Jenks played very well last year and felt he was unlucky to be dropped as soon as Sagna was fit again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Considering he's a back up centre back and a fairly decent one at that, it would be wrong to only offer him a one year extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Still don't think jenks is ready to step up, not quite yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Still don't think jenks is ready to step up, not quite yet.

People have very short memories imo people quickly forget last year when Jenks was given a run in the first team how good he was and a lot were suprised Sagna got his place back so quick considering how bad his form was last season.

Glad to see Sagna back to his best this season and hope he does sign a new contract though, if he does move on I will wish him all the best though he has been a model professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

I believe Wenger will give Sagna a new deal. With the signing of Ozil and Flamini (and more in January/Summer) he will want to stay. Fingers crossed he does. We need a strong squad to be competitive on all fronts!

People have very short memories imo people quickly forget last year when Jenks was given a run in the first team how good he was and a lot were suprised Sagna got his place back so quick considering how bad his form was last season.

Glad to see Sagna back to his best this season and hope he does sign a new contract though, if he does move on I will wish him all the best though he has been a model professional.

Jenkinson is a prospect, but like J Sparrow I wouldn't like to have to count on him week in week out just yet. A fully fit Sagna is a far more reliable option imo.

greendom wrote: »
    Jenkinson is a prospect, but like J Sparrow I wouldn't like to have to count on him week in week out just yet. A fully fit Sagna is a far more reliable option imo.

He is this season yes but last season he wasn't and Jenkinson performed perfectly when given a run in the team.

I think sometimes football fans can be fickle last season when Sagna when playing he was a liability big time and Jenkinson was as solid as one could ask for.

Don't get me wrong Sagna on his current form I'd have as my first choice aswell but I just think Jenkinson when given a run in the first team last year showed what he was capable of. I don't roll my eyes to heaven when I see Jenkinson on the pitch like I do when I see bendy boots :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

He is this season yes but last season he wasn't and Jenkinson performed perfectly when given a run in the team.

I think sometimes football fans can be fickle last season when Sagna when playing he was a liability big time and Jenkinson was as solid as one could ask for.

Don't get me wrong Sagna on his current form I'd have as my first choice aswell but I just think Jenkinson when given a run in the first team last year showed what he was capable of. I don't roll my eyes to heaven when I see Jenkinson on the pitch like I do when I see bendy boots :pac:.

Did you hear the away fans at west brom singing bendys name couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I don't think Wenger will offer Sagna as much as some of the other clubs touted to be after him, and knowing Arsene as we do, I don't think he will mind. He will view him as replaceable (by someone younger who we can pay less).

He's been a great servant to the club and a likeable guy but at the end of the day AW prob has a point in that regard.

If he wishes to stay for footballing reasons then more power to him, he should be offered a 2 year extension on his current wage. If he wishes to get a big signing on fee and pay rise on a Bosman at PSG or Monaco I certainly wouldn't hold it against him either though.

• Advertisement

Did you hear the away fans at west brom singing bendys name couldn't believe it.

i'm willing to give him a second chance while he's still contracted to the club. if he scores a couple in a crucial game we'll all be delighted, and it would go some way towards repaying his wages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

I'd love to retain Sagna, we'd be better off keeping Jenks and Sagna to save us having to spend money on a right back next summer. Better to keep as much money as possible to spend on a centre half and Giroud competition.

But I've a feeling he's gone. I really wish we'd be a little more flexible when it comes to players over 30. He should be offered 3 years, and he would definitely get offered that length elsewhere. I wouldn't hold it against him if he left, he could have agitated for a move away this summer (as the likes of Nasri, DutchSkunk, Clichy, Hleb etc. have done when they had one year left on contract.) but he stuck around and didn't make any noise about a situation he's probably fairly unhappy with.

Hopefully common sense will prevail, but I have a feeling that AW will gradually give Jenks more and more playing time as the season goes on.

I’d have nothing against sagna if he left on a free, but you know I’ll never forgive Van Persie.
    He’s changed how I see footballers, maybe I was naive but I thought he was a gooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Stumbled upon this video on youtube and it made me very excited about the little guy's return. It feels so long since he's been on the field.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Mmm Santi + Ozil.

If all our players were fit what would be our best starting XI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Cazorla and Özil on the same team. /drools.

FearDark wrote: »
    Mmm Santi + Ozil.

If all our players were fit what would be our best starting XI?

Genuinely can't answer that question. Szcz and the back 4 is pretty much beyond debate right now, Giroud is our best in the middle up front.

After that; we really are spoilt for choice. Theo has picked a bad time to get injured, he could struggle to work his way back in as a regular starter.

Ozil has to start, Ramsey has to start on current form, Cazorla is too good not to start, Flamini has made himself one of the most important parts of the team, after that? Take your pick from Theo, Podolski, Arteta, Jack, Rosicky and the Ox. Right now I'd go for Jack.

What a wonderful dilemma for a welcome change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Walcott has to start on the right for me

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Can't wait....

I Would say it has to be Ozil, Santi and Ramsey followed by Wilshere and Flamini.

imtdub wrote: »
    Can't wait....

I Would say it has to be Ozil, Santi and Ramsey followed by Wilshere and Flamini.

Not much defence there.

Need Flamster or Arteta. And both for tougher teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Back five, Walcott and Giroud are nailed on. The other four go to whoever is in the best form. As of now, Ramsey and Flamini are also nailed on, leaving only two spots. One of those spots pretty much has to go to Ozil, leaving one spot for about six or seven players.

For the top clubs, United, Chelsea etc.:

Szczesny

Sagna - Mertesacker - Kosclieny - Gibbs

Ramsey
    Flamini

Walcott
    Ozil
    Cazorla

Giroud

Not ideal having Cazorla out on the left, but it's the only opening for him as far as I can tell.

For the likes of Palace, Norwich etc.:

Szczesny

Sagna - Mertesacker - Kosclieny - Gibbs

Ramsey

Ozil
    Wilshere

Walcott
    Cazorla

Giroud

We could do with the extra body in attack against the "lesser" teams, especially those who wont offer much of an attack.

Not an easy decision to make, but this is why Wenger gets paid so much more than I do :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Tough but I'd go

Flamini ramsey
    Walcott ozil cazorla
    Giroud

depending on artetas form he could play ahead of flam, but right now I'd have that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I hate talking about him but if we still had van persie we would be a real force to he reckoned with he had that knack of scoring goals when they were badly needed to clinch the 3 points something giroud hasnt quite got into the habit of for us as of us yet.

I hate talking about him but if we still had van persie we would be a real force to he reckoned with he had that knack of scoring goals when they were badly needed to clinch the 3 points something giroud hasnt quite got into the habit of for us as of us yet.

Instead he's with a useless United team with no hope of winning the league this season. What a tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

FearDark wrote: »
    Instead he's with a useless United team with no hope of winning the league this season. What a tool.

You keep posting stuff like this completely ignoring the fact that he won the damn thing in his first season with them..

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    You keep posting stuff like this completely ignoring the fact that he won the damn thing in his first season with them..

Tbh if I was him I know what team I'd like to be playing for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's International break the biggest pain in the sack. At least the Heineken Cup is on!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Still Arteta, Ramsey, Cazorla, Ozil, Walcott and Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Please god Sagna signs a few years extension to his contract as Jenkinsons defending at times frightens me :o

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Please god Sagna signs a few years extension to his contract as Jenkinsons defending at times frightens me :o

As much as Sczez goalkeeping did ;):P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

As much as Sczez goalkeeping did ;):P.

And it still does if I am being honest, but to be fair to the lad his shot stopping is second to none he just needs to improve his all round game a bit more ;)

I have total confidence in Szczesny. I think playing behind a defence that lacked composure screwed with his confidence, the defence picked up on his declining confidence and increased error rate and it became a bit of a vicious cycle of defence and goalkeeper mutually lacking confidence in each other.

They had their little post WHL meeting in March, AW identified TV5 and WS1 as the culprits, and I don't know what exactly they did but next thing we know our defence is all of a sudden calm and composed to the point that even Lukasz Fabianski thrived. (Maybe Fabianski was never all that bad in the first place, maybe he just never felt fully confident playing behind a team that tended to be last ditch with their defending.)

I think Vermaelen was the chief culprit, he persistently had me tearing my hair out by not staying on his feet and dramatically throwing himself in front of a shot, normally because he was out of position in the first place. He was very prone to last ditch dramatic panic defending, not exactly what you want from your captain. Sad to see the impact that long term injury has had on him, and after being out of the team this long I think it's fair to question whether Wenger even has any confidence in him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Interlull me arse

Llorente Lloan in January?

yoink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

He was very prone to last ditch dramatic panic defending

I used to love watching him burst his hole flying into last ditch tackles and would be delighted with the fight and passion he showed.

Then a mate pointed out that the reason his makes those desperate tackles is cos he is ****e at defending. (his opinion not mine).

Mert/Kos are our No. 1 paring, having a player of Thomas' level in the squad is a really really good thing imo. Nothing wrong with some slight rotation at CB to keep players fresh.

yoink!

Did ya see something to make ya think this might happen?

Is he what we need? Won't lie never seen much of him but always been led to believe he is very much a fox in the box type player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

yoink!
    Did ya see something to make ya think this might happen?

Is he what we need? Won't lie never seen much of him but always been led to believe he is very much a fox in the box type player.

yeah it's in a lot of the papers
    he hasn't had the best time there so far, starting only twice & 3 sub appearances and he'd be looking to play more for the WC - left out of the recent squad
    + Tevez said he's the worst player he ever played with, don't want has become of that, it was a few weeks ago

he'd be one of the best you'd get on loan anyway, if it's true & could do what girouds doing, so i wouldn't say no to him on loan.

stories as well about Gundogan, they're saying he hasn't signed a new contract yet, stalling on it & arsenal are getting increasingly confident on getting him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Walcott's on the panel for the England match..

Him and Keane should have fun :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Bendtner scored for Denmark against Italy! Greatest Striker of all Time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't give a damn about these International matches.
    I don't want to see any of our players getting injuries.

• Advertisement

I don't give a damn about these International matches.
    I don't want to see any of our players getting injuries.

Apparently Ramsey is playing for Wales and he's all strapped up. Just saw it on Twitter, can't clarify. Their hopes are dead in the water so be a disgrace if he is playing while carrying a knock.

Giroud has scored for France as well.

Nikki B goal:

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Jaysus it's getting ridiculous for Ireland...must have been nearly fifty passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

That Giroud lad is rubbish...

:D

2 now for Giroud

Oh that's just delish

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement