Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

2 now for Bendtner

This is a picture worthy moment:

BWUh8zgIIAEMSYd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hes only gone and given them the lead against Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is Ramsey playing for Wales?
    Can't find their starting line-up anywhere.

Is Ramsey playing for Wales?
    Can't find their starting line-up anywhere.

Yes he is. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24393705
    Wales
    01 Hennessey
    02 Taylor
    05 Gunter
    06 Collins
    03 John Booked
    04 Vaughan
    07 King
    10 Ramsey
    11 Robson-Kanu
    08 Bellamy
    09 Church

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Mad to think Stokes was so highly rated when he was with us.

Ozil is such a special player AND OURS!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Ozil with a class finish.

Just saw that Ramsey missed a penalty.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Just saw that Ramsey missed a penalty.:mad:

shame about that but it was a penalty he earned and it was his assist for the Wales goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

greendom wrote: »
    shame about that but it was a penalty he earned and it was his assist for the Wales goal

Apparently he was MOTM too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

dvemail wrote: »
    Apparently he was MOTM too.

BWUyWW_CEAAouuV.jpg

It's becoming a habit :)

Just seen on Twitter Monreal came off at HT for Spain - not sure if tactical or forced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

BWUyWW_CEAAouuV.jpg

It's becoming a habit :)

He looks chuffed. :D

That Giroud lad is rubbish...

:D

Title is wrong, wasn't a lob, was a chipshot. Not a chip, a chip can't have bend :P

No injuries then so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Serious finish from Ollie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Just seen on Twitter Monreal came off at HT for Spain - not sure if tactical or forced.

Well, apparently they were playing crap and struggling to score, and it was iniesta that came on, so I'd say they were just trying to get more attacking players on. Don't know for sure though

Spanish papers (Marca I think so Barca's mouthpiece??) running with a story that Bale had significant injuries during the medical but Madrid signed him anyway. http://www.marca.com/2013/10/12/en/football/real_madrid/1381531205.html

Has to be one of the more bizarre moves in recent times - leaving go one of the very few players fit to tie the shoes of Zidane (that'd be Ozil, ya know, the guy we have :) ) and bringing in this above average player at best - his goals are cracking but to be honest I never got the hype - no where near as good as Ronaldo, or as attractive from a marketing point of view.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I know its hard to get past the fact that he played for spurs and I wouldn't rate him as highly as Ozil either but to say Bale was "average at best" is just wrong imo. He'd still walk into any of the top teams in the PL us included.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Bale won something like 20+ points for spurs last season. Hugely impressive. But I still think Ozil, di Maria, isco, are all better footballers. Not to mention Ronaldo . But Perez was determined to sign him because barca got neymar, he wanted a signing to keep up with the joneses.
    Worked out well for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Tottenham seemed to got a very good deal out of Madrid now I feel, had they not already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Spanish papers (Marca I think so Barca's mouthpiece??) running with a story that Bale had significant injuries during the medical but Madrid signed him anyway. http://www.marca.com/2013/10/12/en/football/real_madrid/1381531205.html[/url.

Marca is very much the mouthpiece for Real Madrid. Sport is the Catalan version.

greendom wrote: »
    Marca is very much the mouthpiece for Real Madrid. Sport is the Catalan version.

Thanks for that - I always get the two mixed up.

SocialRMadrid @SocialRMadrid
    RM's club shop are still selling shirts and photos of Mesut Özil. Tour guide Sofia: People like to pretend he's still here. (daily star)

:pac: :cool:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I know its hard to get past the fact that he played for spurs and I wouldn't rate him as highly as Ozil either but to say Bale was "average at best" is just wrong imo. He'd still walk into any of the top teams in the PL us included.

It's not that he played for Spurs at all, I just honestly don't think he's all that good. And I did say "above average at best" ;):p He is good but he's not in the current crop of best players in the world - Ronaldo, Messi, Schweinsteiger, Ribery, Falcao ... dare I say it?? Ozil!

I think Spurs will miss Modric more than Bale in the long run. I know they are vastly different players but Bale reminds me of RvP (who is the better player) in that his main trick is the knack of popping up with goals which he did for Spurs over the last two seasons - but he doesn't have the skill of Ronaldo or Messi to contribute as majorly to his team.

I will hold my hands up and post a naked picture here (y'all don't want to see that :D ) if I'm wrong but I honestly don't see him repeating and sustaining his form for Spurs last season.

When the rumours were going around about us getting a Madrid player, I was thinking would love Benzema, think he is a great player that has yet to really reach his potential, or di Maria might be a goer - bit of a Reyes about him but worth a punt. But signing Ozil never crossed my mind - the only dafter thing than letting us sign him for half the price of Bale would be if they gave us Ronaldo.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's not that he played for Spurs at all, I just honestly don't think he's all that good. And I did say "above average at best" ;):p He is good but he's not in the current crop of best players in the world - Ronaldo, Messi, Schweinsteiger, Ribery, Falcao ... dare I say it?? Ozil!

Ah tits, I was walking and reading on the phone and missed the "above" part of "above average" so picked you up wrong in that regard. I agree he's not in the same bracket as those players.

Is Ozil the best player in the league? between him, rvp and yaya?

• Advertisement

Ah tits, I was walking and reading on the phone and missed the "above" part of "above average" so picked you up wrong in that regard. I agree he's not in the same bracket as those players.

I remember having a conversation before about what constitutes World Class, European Class, Premier League class etc., It's an interesting debate and would like to hear the views of you guys on it ... but later, I've a date with Mr.Cumberbatch and the Fifth Estate at the cinema :)

Raf32 wrote: »
    Is Ozil the best player in the league? between him, rvp and yaya?

He'd be well up there, and as much as an obnoxious being that he is, Suarez has to be counted in with a shot. Fantastic goal poacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Mata is up there also.

Ozil > Mata any day of the week though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

I will hold my hands up and post a naked picture here (y'all don't want to see that :D ) if I'm wrong but I honestly don't see him repeating and sustaining his form for Spurs last season.

Having seconds thoughts now about how successful I want him to be!!!

• Advertisement

Gervinho looking electric again, how frustrating

Bendtner was a beast against Italy lastnight. Managed to get himself suspended for his celebrations after his second goal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Gervinho looking electric,
    Bendtner was a beast against Italy last night.

Dafuk?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Bendtner is like Peter Pan, when people believe he is the greatest he is. That boat sailed a long time ago at Arsenal but in Denmark they still think he is the best thing going and it seems he is.

maybe the Peter Pan analogy is sideways I think it was something like believe and think happy thoughts and you can fly or some such

tbh I think Gerv was a little like that too, a confidence figure and with his national team he is the main man and thrives under such circumstances.

There is definitely something rotten in the state of Denmark..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

United and arsenal from 01 is on setanta Ireland now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

When the rumours were going around about us getting a Madrid player, I was thinking would love Benzema, think he is a great player that has yet to really reach his potential, or di Maria might be a goer - bit of a Reyes about him but worth a punt. But signing Ozil never crossed my mind - the only dafter thing than letting us sign him for half the price of Bale would be if they gave us Ronaldo.

Likewise when the rumours of us getting a Madrid player were flaoting about I think most including myself immediately dismissed the Ozil rumours because I thought there was no way in hell we would get him Madrid weren't that retarded turn out they were and they full retard and sold him to us :D.
    tbh I think Gerv was a little like that too, a confidence figure and with his national team he is the main man and thrives under such circumstances.

I always said that about Gervinho think he could be a quality player but he needs a safe enviroment really to flourish one were he gets lots of pats on the back and is an essential member of the team. He was never going to get that at Arsenal and rightly so imo we can't afford to nurture and caress a players ego that much no one player is bigger than the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

United and arsenal from 01 is on setanta Ireland now!

The 6-1 horror show or the Barthez horror show at Highbury?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

The 6-1 horror show or the Barthez horror show at Highbury?

The one where wiltord scored and we won the league in old trafford sorry it was 02, brilliant to watch, I badly want those celebrations again with Wenger at the front of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

The one where wiltord scored and we won the league in old trafford sorry it was 02, brilliant to watch, I badly want those celebrations again with Wenger at the front of it!

Ah yes, my favourite part of that goal (apart from Tyler's Wiltooooooooooorrrd) was Kanu jumping straight over him for the celebration. Seems like such a long time ago now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

If true, the weekend rumours about Llorente would be brilliant.

He's as good as Soldado and Negredo, he's just had a bad 18 months.

Age 28, proven goalscorer, probably a bargain after those 18 months.

Get Him Arsene, and Julian Draxler.

Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

meriwether wrote: »
    If true, the weekend rumours about Llorente would be brilliant.

He's as good as Soldado and Negredo, he's just had a bad 18 months.

Age 28, proven goalscorer, probably a bargain after those 18 months.

Get Him Arsene, and Julian Draxler.

Ta.

How many teams can you play for in a calendar year?

LLorente would be a great signing, fits right in with our system. Also arguably spains best striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

LLorente would be a great signing, fits right in with our system. Also arguably spains best striker.

Arguably not; Negredo is miles ahead of him. Llorente has ****ed up quite a significant part of his career trying to engineer this Juve move - he didn't bother his hole for his last season at Bilbao and now is on the periphery for Juventus.

I wouldn't be enthused by his signing permanently, but he'd certainly be a shrewd loan move if you could get him anywhere near his Bilbao form.

Ozil is a great player but it's too early to judge if he's a Premiership star player. He has only played a handful of games. He needs time.

Been good so far though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Where did the LLorente rumours come from ??

Bendtner was a beast against Italy lastnight. Managed to get himself suspended for his celebrations after his second goal though.

Ladbrokes this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Llorente is too similar to Giroud, albeit a slightly better version. He'd be fine as a loan but buying him would be pointless.

• Advertisement

Llorente is too similar to Giroud, albeit a slightly better version. He'd be fine as a loan but buying him would be pointless.

I would prefer a faster striker in general but I really don't get this logic. Surely a like for like replacement makes more sense when you want to rest a player..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement