Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

do you even lift brah?

anyhows, nobody mentioned the talk that Vermaelen hinted at a january exit if he doesn't get game time.
    i do understand from his point of view it must be hard to get dropped when you're captain and then can't regain your place in the team. Chesney was lucky Fabianski got injured and he did well since regaining his spot, he's won it back and is undisputed number 1 at the moment. Verm must be hoping for a similar chance, it'll be interesting to see if he gets one and if he can take it like Chesney did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

AGM stuff

these were handed out by the black scarf movement before hand, countering the european super club statement/whatever - whoever said that? not really what it's about
    1382006201281_lc_galleryImage_image001_png.JPG

the club bought a sport analysis company, just over £2mil

no full roof for the stadium :pac: IG says even wenger gets wet

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis has taken a swipe at Tottenham, claiming he does not consider them to be rivals.
    He was asked at the club's AGM about why the Gunners have not capitalised on NBC's Premier League TV deal in America.
    Gazidis replied: 'Yes there is a poster of [Gareth] Bale in Times Square (below), but he no longer plays for Tottenham - he now plays for one of our rivals (Real Madrid)!'

Question about clubs view on winter World Cup.
    Sir Chips: 'It would be disruptive, and it is a monumental issue.
    'I won't be going. I probably won't be alive so it's not high on my list of priorities.'

great answer by chips :pac::pac:

more here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2464166/Arsenal-AGM-Live-coverage-Emirates-Stadium-happens-.html#ixzz2i15MJRBm
    & on the clubs site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

bad2dabone wrote: »
    do you even lift brah?

anyhows, nobody mentioned the talk that Vermaelen hinted at a january exit if he doesn't get game time.
    i do understand from his point of view it must be hard to get dropped when you're captain and then can't regain your place in the team. Chesney was lucky Fabianski got injured and he did well since regaining his spot, he's won it back and is undisputed number 1 at the moment. Verm must be hoping for a similar chance, it'll be interesting to see if he gets one and if he can take it like Chesney did.

Can't see it happening in January anyway going by his statement during the summer I think he will stay for at least the full season to try win his place back, unless he is thinking of the world cup but in all honesty think he will be hard pushed to win a place in Belgium's starting CB pairing either way.
    batistuta9 wrote: »
    AGM stuff

these were handed out by the black scarf movement before hand, countering the european super club statement/whatever - whoever said that? not really what it's about
    1382006201281_lc_galleryImage_image001_png.JPG

Bit stupid to be handing them out imo as it kind of taking what the club said about Bayern Munich in the summer out of context if anything it shines a bad light on BSM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I know this is something very trivial but I'm interested to know why the supporters would be complaining about getting wet on a match day... I mean, to what effect? Do they want to roof the stadium or something? Bit late for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

So we could be looking at a new cb and rb judging by their comments.

Will be an interesting summer.

Verm:

He's contracted until Summer 2015, I don't see why we would even try and sell him, he has plenty of time to break into the team again, we always seem to get injuries at CB and he's the first one I'd be putting in the team if we do. We're rich enough to take that risk and let him enter into the final year of his contract, he's not a 25m Van Persie, I'm not sure what we would get for him at the moment maybe 10m? Wouldn't like to see him go at all. I fully expect him to get a run of games anyway before the world cup and as far as I know he started for Belgium in their WC Qualifiers in the past week.

Can't see it happening in January anyway going by his statement during the summer I think he will stay for at least the full season to try win his place back, unless he is thinking of the world cup but in all honesty think he will be hard pushed to win a place in Belgium's starting CB pairing either way.

going by his comments this week it looks like he'd be looking at options if he's not playing by then

he said if he was playing the discussion would be different

Bit stupid to be handing them out imo as it kind of taking what the club said about Bayern Munich in the summer out of context if anything it shines a bad light on BSM.

is that where they're getting it from, the revenues comment?

FearDark wrote: »
    I know this is something very trivial but I'm interested to know why the supporters would be complaining about getting wet on a match day... I mean, to what effect? Do they want to roof the stadium or something? Bit late for that.

i suppose they're complaining because they get wet - who likes sitting out in the rain

i don't know what they wanted done but it shows there's not as much to be bothering people this time round

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Should Casillas end up looking to leave Real in january, then arsenal should be first in for him. Schezny really isnt up to it.

Should Casillas end up looking to leave Real in january, then arsenal should be first in for him. Schezny really isnt up to it.

Ok... Can you back that up with proof Scez isn't up to it or are you going to just throw around that sort of bullcrap and not explain why?

• Advertisement

going by his comments this week it looks like he'd be looking at options if he's not playing by then

he said if he was playing the discussion would be different

Maybe but I just can't see the club being to willing to let him go unless they already had a CB lined up.

Just seen he has been starting for Belgium with Vertonghen being used at LB.
    is that where they're getting it from, the revenues comment?

It's the only thing I can think of really which if true is stupid and silly.

he has 2 major weaknesses, blood rushes to the head and occasionally dodgy footwork, he has many strenghts, confidence, shot stopping, he's good on 1v1's, good on crosses, he's commanding for a young goalie (23!) he loves the club, he's brave and his reflex saves are incredible.

Casillas is world class, if we could get him at a reasonable cost then for sure any club would have to consider it.
    But Szczesny is up to it. And will only improve.

he said he'll be looking to leave if he's not playing

& apparently szczesny isn't pronounced the way we think it is at all :confused::eek::(
    heard it on football weekly, someone sent a recording/ pronunciation in
    jonathan wilson reckons this 'ę' is pronounced like an 'n'

not sure if this is the it or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Szczesny (note the spelling) has been decent since he came back into the team towards the end of last season, and to claim he "isn't up to it" is a ridiculous statement, he's a quality young keeper who will improve.

I don't understand why so many don't rate Szczesny, has he got poor stats on Football Manager or something??:confused:

I ain't saying the guy is perfect, but he's much better than some would like to have everyone believe.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    he has 2 major weaknesses, blood rushes to the head and occasionally dodgy footwork, he has many strenghts, confidence, shot stopping, he's good on 1v1's, good on crosses, he's commanding for a young goalie (23!) he loves the club, he's brave and his reflex saves are incredible.

Casillas is world class, if we could get him at a reasonable cost then for sure any club would have to consider it.
    But Szczesny is up to it. And will only improve.

I think the two of them kind of fall under the same category really ;), and even at that most the time he gets away with it and I would be expecting that to happen less and less as he matures.

But it will probably never go away completely like most good goalkeepers he has a bit of a headbanger in him.

I still miss Lehmanns antics.

to me he's like the lovechild of grobbelaar and Lehman.

and that's no bad thing for a bit of entertainment :)

Scez is the closet GK to Lehmann right now. Love the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

I'm glad to see a bit of Szcz love here!

I think a good keeper needs to be a bit mad. Eccentric mad keepers tend to be quite useful in penalty shootouts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Sczcesny hasn't cost us any points this season at all, as far as I can see.

Certainly not the game against Villa, even though he looked dodgy at times.

But since then, he's made tremendous saves in many matches that we've ended up winning by 1 or 2 goals. He's been very good for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

On the subject of goalkeepers, anybody remember this :D Still to this day gives me shivers when I watch it

What a player he was, his positioning was the best I have ever seen for a goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

^^^^

One of those things ya never forget watching

Noo wrote: »
    ^^^^

One of those things ya never forget watching

Breath taking mate :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Was never a fan of Dave's ponytail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭ronjo

After watching that Seaman save there is then a link to the 3 2 over United in Nov 97 when Platt scored the winner.

I had forgotten what a bloody goal Vieira scored in that game.... Fantastic strike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Gringo180 wrote: »
    On the subject of goalkeepers, anybody remember this :D Still to this day gives me shivers when I watch it

What a player he was, his positioning was the best I have ever seen for a goalkeeper.
    But it helps to have some great defenders operating in front of you and knowing that if you scored at all, you were unlikely to lose the game whereas now still sitting on the edge of your pants when two up in stoppage time.

But it helps to have some great defenders operating in front of you and knowing that if you scored at all, you were unlikely to lose the game whereas now still sitting on the edge of your pants when two up in stoppage time.

That's true but we're getting better! I think we have rose tinted glasses from the early Wenger years too though.

That's true but we're getting better! I think we have rose tinted glasses from the early Wenger years too though.

I don't know we had a tight defence in the early Wenger years and last season we had the second best defence in the league and we haven't been to shabby this year either. I think people need to stop listening to Eamon Dunphy and co and look at the stats.

With Kos and Merts as the CB majority of time we do look very very solid and are hard to break down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ronaldinho aside :pac:

Loved Seaman (insert joke here) though, what a character.

Even if you go back to the double winning side of 1971, that was based on not conceeding and trying to nick a goal.
    Whole generation of supporters through the 70's and 80's were brought up with the defensive philosophy of legendary coach Don Howe.
    Team has transformed now to one that concentrates completely on offense and pays little regard to negating the strengths of the opposition.
    Marginal improvements could lead to trophies, keep the attacking intent but develop a strategy that values clean sheets, through better defensive organisation and concentration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Even if you go back to the double winning side of 1971, that was based on not conceeding and trying to nick a goal.
    Whole generation of supporters through the 70's and 80's were brought up with the defensive philosophy of legendary coach Don Howe.
    Team has transformed now to one that concentrates completely on offense and pays little regard to negating the strengths of the opposition.
    Marginal improvements could lead to trophies, keep the attacking intent but develop a strategy that values clean sheets, through better defensive organisation and concentration.

I think this has quite clearly been taking shape since the beginning of last season.

Ronaldinho aside :pac:

Loved Seaman (insert joke here) though, what a character.
    Ronaldinho was not alone and at least that was for England, can't forget Gazza and Nayim in big matches that cost us but still a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

ronjo wrote: »
    After watching that Seaman save there is then a link to the 3 2 over United in Nov 97 when Platt scored the winner.

I had forgotten what a bloody goal Vieira scored in that game.... Fantastic strike

I remember he injured his knee celebrating and was missing for the next 6 weeks.

Last season our defense was not the issue at all, it was our attacking play that left a lot to be desired we struggled to break down teams and score the goals we needed.

Hence why Wenger went out and bought Ozil and targeted the likes of Higuain and Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I take it you haven't Been watching the team much this season? There has definitely been a change in philosophy.

greendom wrote: »
    I take it you haven't Been watching the team much this season? There has definitely been a change in philosophy.
    It's all about the balance of the team, Flamini's acquisition has had a very positive impact through not only his own performance but by organising and getting extra out of his team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Team for tomorrow lads? Wenger talks a bit about rotation after International week in his presser. He did mention that Ramsey was the only player who played 90 mins in both of his games. Could be in line for a breather.

Woj
    Sagna Mert Koscielny Gibbs
    Arteta Wilshere
    Gnabry Ozil Cazorla
    Giroud

Thats what I would like to see If Ramsey is rested. Cannot wait to see Ozil and Cazorla together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Cant see Cazorla starting. He'll come on for Özil once the game is won.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gus99

Woz
    Jenks Mert Koscielny Gibbs
    Arteta Flamini
    Gnabry Ozil Wilshere
    Giroud

Cazorla -> Wilshere (70)
    Monreal -> Gnabry (74)
    Ramsey/Rosicky -> Ozil (85)
    :)

keano_afc wrote: »
    Cant see Cazorla starting. He'll come on for Özil once the game is won.

Exactly this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I kinda hope that doesn't happen... been creaming it to see our two magicians in action together since deadline day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

shano_88 wrote: »
    Team for tomorrow lads? Wenger talks a bit about rotation after International week in his presser. He did mention that Ramsey was the only player who played 90 mins in both of his games. Could be in line for a breather.

Woj
    Sagna Mert Koscielny Gibbs
    Arteta Wilshere
    Gnabry Ozil Cazorla
    Giroud

Thats what I would like to see If Ramsey is rested. Cannot wait to see Ozil and Cazorla together.

I'd agree with the majority of that, but I'd avoid playing both Özil and Cazorla. Cazorla just back from injury and Özil got a knock for Germany, plus we have Dortmund in midweek. I'd play Rosicky instead of one of them. I wouldnt play either but with Walcott unlikely, we have to play one of them.

Koscielny got a knock too, I think. Might be worth giving him the extra couple of days too and play Vermaelen.

With such a small squad we cant afford to take risks with such important players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭ronjo

Rosicky is certain to start surely

ronjo wrote: »
    Rosicky is certain to start surely

I'd rather have him in the middle with Flamini tbh, I like when Rosicky plays like a CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,460 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wenger might surprise us all and start with this side -

Woz
    Jenks Mert Koscielny Gibbs
    Arteta Flamini
    Gnabry Wilshere Rosicky
    Giroud

He could swap Rosicky and Gnabry maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

There is zero need for Arteta and Flamini against Norwich. We should only play both when we're against the likes of United.

here's a stat about the defence:

arsenal have kept only 3 clean sheets in the last 14 home games

4 clean sheets from 12 this season (1/7 in the league)

another thing i seen on sky today

arsenal have picked up the most points in 2013 - we knew that anyway though
    56 pts from 26 games (i think), 5 more than chelsea
    a few others played a game less but even if the win would only be on 52
    second best GD too

Few rumours going around Diaby has done his cruciate in again or has a set back?? Surely has to be the most unfortunate player ever for injuries, think its time for him to hang them up now. Gotta feel sorry for the poor lad :(

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Few rumours going around Diaby has done his cruciate in again or has a set back??

:(

feckin hell, g'luck to the guy but thats him finished.

He'd be wise to start his degree in physiotherapy now. He's 5 years experience in the industry already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement