Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

Remember during the height of the Wenger out phases in recent years how it wasn't that uncommon for some to suggest David Moyes as Wenger's replacement?:P

Just so we're clearly, that was never me! :P

Can't watch those goals enough tonight, and that's after watching lads driving around at 200mph for several hours!

It has to be said, Dem Goals...

We have to make sure we rotate like **** over the next few months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think Hansen was spot on on MOTD, Ramsey looked Zidane-esque yesterday. This Arsenal team could do some great things, it's been a while since there was any semblance of such thoughts at Arsenal.

All those auld Liverpool lads are still very annoyed about '89. Begrudger like Hanson, Houghton, Whelan etc etc. Never a good word to say about Arsenal.
    It's ****in hilarious how anti-anything Arsenal Thompson is

Wish I could find that awesome gif when he was completely sickened a year or two ago :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think Hansen was spot on on MOTD, Ramsey looked Zidane-esque yesterday. This Arsenal team could do some great things, it's been a while since there was any semblance of such thoughts at Arsenal.

Hansen: ramsey playing like zidane. calm the fcuk down he's good but he's no ramsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We have to make sure we rotate like **** over the next few months.

I'm thinking the Palace game would be ideal for rotation.

Wouldn't mind seeing Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil and Giroud rotated.

Would leave us with:

Woj
    Sagna Mert Kosc Gibbs
    Flamini Arteta
    Gnabry Rosicky Cazorla
    BIG NICKY B

would still expect to win with that side, really strong bench if we needed it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

It's been a long time since an Arsenal side have ripped sides apart as easily and brilliantly as they did yesterday or have done this season. It's a joy to watch to Arsenal once again.

But I do think Shearer was right feet for now as hard as it is should be kept firmly on the ground the next 6 games will tell a lot for what lies ahead this season.

Right now I'm confident but if we can come out of those games still on top of the league and basically qualified from the Champions League group well then I think everyone will really tart taking Arsenal serious.

As much as the two lads on MOTD praised Arsenal last night they were both very quick to say we will not win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Absolutely delighted with our start so far, but we're not exactly pulling clear of the chasing pack. We've had a soft start. We'll know far more after we play Liverpool & United back to back and then City & Chelsea back to back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

We are so good to watch right now. So many goal of the season contenders already. Both individual efforts (Ramsey) and back to front team goals (Wilshere).

Delighted but I would be slightly concerned about the way we lost control of the game when Flamini went off injured and we had a couple of careless moments at the back too that would be punished by better teams - Mertesacker's resulting in a goal.

Just a word too - what a game Woj had yesterday. He made a couple of top quality saves when we were under the cosh and I think that may have been forgotten in the midst of all the goals in the final third of the match.

Also fair play to TGSTEL, he actually looked decent yesterday and got into some good positions. Could actually be an option this season. Its 100% self serving but hey, if he plays well sure it benefits us too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

That Wilshere goal was pure sex, it has to be said.

I hope you keep it up so I can pull up a post I made in June saying I thought Arsenal could win the title. :pac:

Watching MOTD for the second time :D, sure why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ramsey 9 (5)
    Giroud 6 (4)
    Ozil 3 (2)
    Podolski 2 (2)
    Wilshere 2 (2)
    Gnabry 1 (1)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Mertesacker 1 (1)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Walcott 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Succumbed to the power of Ramsey...

BXBG14ECMAAt7K2.jpg:large

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I remember it more like this:

rambo.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Didn't see it mentioned, but Diaby has had another major setback and is out until at least March. Poor lad just can't get a break :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Genius

This always makes me chuckle, not related to the topic at the moment but anyway

YQe8H.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

jester77 wrote: »
    Didn't see it mentioned, but Diaby has had another major setback and is out until at least March. Poor lad just can't get a break :(

He had too many breaks thats kind of the problem :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

^^who is that? (in wonga's gif I mean)

The genius that is Eboue! Seems like a great character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Mickeroo wrote: »
    ^^who is that? (in wonga's gif I mean)

Eboue, I think?

L'prof wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted with our start so far, but we're not exactly pulling clear of the chasing pack. We've had a soft start. We'll know far more after we play Liverpool & United back to back and then City & Chelsea back to back.

Last season in the 8 corresponding fixtures with which we started this season, Arsenal picked up 24 points. Yes you can argue that Taylor had a major impact on that , but it's worth sounding just a bit of caution.

Apart from the movement itself the finish was so good, just passed it into the corner effortlessly with his weaker right foot

tictak-o.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Im gonna say it - he may bot be as good of a finisher as the dutch twat and wont get as many goals as him from nothing but I actually think Giroud has better link up play and hold up play which is really benifitting all the lads joining from midfield.

Also hes much sexier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

The way we play now Giroud suits us down to the ground - he's essentially a pivot that our AM's work around. Mentioned back here about signing Llorente to which I was initially cool about but I'm coming around to the thinking that like for like it'd be good to have someone like Llorente to fill in as it'd mean there's no need to change our style which is what would have to happen if we got another type of striker that we were all clamouring for (I was too). Why spend money on a contingency for Plan B when Plan A seems to be doing just fine right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

greendom wrote: »
    Last season in the 8 corresponding fixtures with which we started this season, Arsenal picked up 24 points. Yes you can argue that Taylor had a major impact on that , but it's worth sounding just a bit of caution.

Stats don't tell the full story.

Arsenal's performances this season have been miles better than last season.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Stats don't tell the full story.

Arsenal's performances this season have been miles better than last season.

I'm not disputing that, but the next few weeks will show how close that improvement is to making us title challengers. You would have expected a top 4 team to get 19 points from the set of fixtures we've had so far.

The games around the corner are more of a challenge and will show if we can push on to the next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

WWWWWDWDWWWLWWWWWWWWWWDW

Last 24 games.

Still think the next month will be very difficult, but have more faith than ever for us to get through it and be leading our CL group and also in contention in the league. Not sure about the league cup game though.

• Advertisement

I keep hearing this but fcuk him he bailed on us he don't deserve this midfield feeding him

To be honest if there was ever a situation where he was willing to come back i personally wouldnt say no but thats all hypothetical of course. I wont object to anyone joining who has undoubted class that can help the team in any way although id prefer Lewandowski then him at this point in time.

What I mean is though that few are complaining about Flamini at the moment or did people take that attitude when Henry rejoined? I hated losing RVP as much as the next person but thats just the nature of football. They are pro's and they are entitled to do what is right for them at the time. His transfer was relatively amicable (maybe too so). I would on the other hand take exception to the likes of Adebayor's carry on. He got a huge pay increase and practically downed tools for us so i would have nothing but contempt for him but RVP despite his injury history, always played exceptionally well for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

To be honest if there was ever a situation where he was willing to come back i personally wouldnt say no but thats all hypothetical of course. I wont object to anyone joining who has undoubted class that can help the team in any way although id prefer Lewandowski then him at this point in time.

What I mean is though that few are complaining about Flamini at the moment or did people take that attitude when Henry rejoined? I hated losing RVP as much as the next person but thats just the nature of football. They are pro's and they are entitled to do what is right for them at the time. His transfer was relatively amicable (maybe too so). I would on the other hand take exception to the likes of Adebayor's carry on. He got a huge pay increase and practically downed tools for us so i would have nothing but contempt for him but RVP despite his injury history, always played exceptionally well for us.

His interview last year where he threw the manager and team mates under the bus finished me with him he can stay gone along with cesc fcuk them

Let's build a new team

In all honesty I don't think there is any ex player I hold in more contempt than Van Persie I would take both Nasri and Adebayoor back at the club before him.

All season long he effectively aligned himself with the fans him and his wife constantly spouting on how he loved the club and wanted to stay just wanted to sort out details then his you guys statement were he effectively threw Wenger under a bus the man who had supported him through all his injury ravaged years the man who took a gamble on him the man who made him the player he is along with effectively slating his team mates leaving the club but with no option but to sell him because he made his position at the club unattainable after that press release which he went behind the clubs back to release were upon he even refused to move to other cubs bar United.

I've said it a million times the manner in which a player leaves a club has a huge baring on how fans view them hence why fans welcomed Henry back with open arms, still have love Vieira, Overmars the list off players who left but are still held in high regard is a lot longer than those who left who are viewed with contempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

His interview last year where he threw the manager and team mates under the bus finished me with him he can stay gone along with cesc fcuk them

Let's build a new team

Yup. RVP too old to sign and Cesc not guaranteed to start. All in the past, move on.

As an aside: if anyone criticises Giroud for a lack of goals can we just remember his two assists yesterday? Both of insane quality as final balls go and totally different. If it was Ozil, everyone would be all like 'that's what you pay 40 million for'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Let's build a new team

Although he won the league last year he has to be thinking to himself (especially with the form were in, with the signing of Ozil and looking at how poor Utd are this season) why didn't I just wait another year, fcuk him is right he is a mercenary in my eyes :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Although he won the league last year he has to be thinking to himself (especially with the form were in, with the signing of Ozil and looking at how poor Utd are this season) why didn't I just wait another year, fcuk him is right he is a mercenary in my eyes :pac:

I've been saying that since the announcement of Ferguson retiring that RVP must be thinking that it was a mistake.

And I'm not ingnoring the fact he now has one premier league medal with them, before someone jumps down my throat over it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Paleface

Obviously loving how the team are playing at the moment and what's even better is that the performances are consistent. You expect then to play in the manner in which they are. The nervousness has subsided.

I'm hugely impressed with the defence looking as settled as it is. Ok some people might point out the lack of clean sheets but when you are dominating teams offensively it's really not a worry. None of the main title contenders look water tight at the back either!

But in essence it's the midfield that is the heartbeat of the team and when I say that I'm referring to everyone behind Giroud. They are just unreal. Dynamic, creative, dogged and relentless. Sublime to watch!

Final mention goes to Giroud. He's only getting better since he joined Arsenal and will improve even more. Holds up the ball so well and is the pivot in most attacking moves.

If the team can get through November and are still top of the league then the title challenge is definitely on!

At the end of the day i think fans are far too sensitive to the movements of players and seem to love the concept of a hero turned villain too much. So long as they are professional about things i honestly wouldn't mind whether they came back or not.

Its all about how they perform on the given Saturday for me. Id stop short at the likes of Adebayor and Arshavin who had little industry about them but if AW thought it ok to bring Nasri, Cesc or RVP back to the club then i honestly would just continue supporting the club and its personnel.

As it is though i think the club should keep moving forward and freshning the club up because we could be on the cusp of something great here this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

At the end of the day i think fans are far too sensitive to the movements of players and seem to love the concept of a hero turned villain too much. So long as they are professional about things i honestly wouldn't mind whether they came back or not.

I'm not so sure about that, it's not so much that players leave, it's how they do it. There's no animosity towards the likes of Henry, Clichy, Eboue, Toure and Cesc for leaving, they left with a bit of class/dignity and didn't turn it into a big soap opera with public declarations criticising the club. (Cesc got off fairly lightly in my opinion, he effectively went on strike to force a move away, but I believe the fans were willing to turn the other cheek as he had "done his time", given us 8 years of excellent service.)

The "villains" (RVP, Adebayor, Nasri) are despised on account of how they engineered their moves away. And in van Persie's case, had he just continued as he had done all season and kept his mouth shut, and not released that statement, I don't think there's be anywhere near the same level of animosity towards him.

I never want to see RVP in an Arsenal shirt again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

It's never going to happen anyway!

Football is a business at the end of the day. So long as Arsenal keep getting results it doesn't matter squat how much the club means to its players. Lets face it, we cant expect someone from Holland or Denmark or wherever to have the same love for the club as someone from either Britain or Ireland. Loyalty is a rarity these times.

What we hope to expect though is 100% from Arsenal players every week and i believe the current crop are giving us that and more

Football is a business at the end of the day. So long as Arsenal keep getting results it doesn't matter squat how much the club means to its players. Lets face it, we cant expect someone from Holland or Denmark or wherever to have the same love for the club as someone from either Britain or Ireland. Loyalty is a rarity these times

I agree with this, but with RVP he was an Arsenal supporter as a kid growing up in Holland, we all know that picture of a 10 year old RVP wearing and old Arsenal shirt. Was a nobody when Arsene signed him, was injured most of the time, stuck with him through all of that and then when he finally realised his potential he fecked off to our bitter rivals for a few bucks extra "trophies". He had the chance to be an Arsenal legend, it sickens me.

Football is a business at the end of the day. So long as Arsenal keep getting results it doesn't matter squat how much the club means to its players. Lets face it, we cant expect someone from Holland or Denmark or wherever to have the same love for the club as someone from either Britain or Ireland. Loyalty is a rarity these times

Football is a business yes but at the end of the day its the passion from fans that drives it. Without the passion there would be no football or business so of coarse people are going to have strong opinions ;).

Plus nearly everyone has a problem with the manner in which he left the club more so than the fact he left the club ;) it's not about the lack of loyalty it's about his lack of class and respect when he left.

Anyways enough talking about him down in mid table :D. Let enjoy the fact were top of the league and once again playing outstanding football you will be hard pushed to see a better goal than Wilshere's this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Walcott suffered a set back and will be out for another 2 weeks.

FearDark wrote: »
    I agree with this, but with RVP he was an Arsenal supporter as a kid growing up in Holland, we all know that picture of a 10 year old RVP wearing and old Arsenal shirt. Was a nobody when Arsene signed him, was injured most of the time, stuck with him through all of that and then when he finally realised his potential he fecked off to our bitter rivals for a few bucks extra "trophies". He had the chance to be an Arsenal legend, it sickens me.

Dennis Bergkamp was a Tottenham fan growing up as a kid. A huge Glenn Hoddle fan.

Van Persie should put down the little boy inside him.

Dennis Bergkamp was a Tottenham fan growing up as a kid. A huge Glenn Hoddle fan.

He never fecked off to Spurs or anybody else though, that wasn't really the point I was going for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

jester77 wrote: »
    Walcott suffered a set back and will be out for another 2 weeks.

It's gonna be very tough for the likes of Theo, Oxo and Podolski to get back into this side...

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    It's gonna be very tough for the likes of Theo, Oxo and Podolski to get back into this side...

Ozil would be more prolific for the final passes he plays into wingers.

I think he will be very effective with Podolski and Walcott. We saw the chances he made for Walcott on his debut ha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement