Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ah in fairness we had chances with Rosicky and Santi to name two but as i said, the real top top class teams only need one chance to punish sloppiness and profligacy. We are in the second tier amongst the CL elite and while there isnt a huge huge gulf to cover, Dortmund are probably in that top tier.

Only the two spanish and the two germans in that top tier, then ya have the english teams, juve, psg and atletico

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Where is the mother****ing doom and gloom? !

calm down button, we've a tough run between now and christmas but Dortmund will be the best team we face till then and we were narrowly beaten. I think we'll bounce back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Oh id agree we've closed the gap and yes we could have won it hence i said kick in the guts...but some of the players still have to rid themselves of that bit of naivety. Jack and Ramsey delayed on the ball tonight. Ozil didnt have the presence he should have either

Naivety goes in time with experience and games Ramsey and Jack are both still very young. I also think had we had a full fit wuad neither would have started tonight against that Dortmund side.

Think Cazorla would have started and Flamini with him who I think we did miss tonight.

We're still a couple of players off, as plenty said over the summer.

Id agree perhaps two. Id absolutely go cock a hoop if Wenger could somehow snare Lewandowski. Giroud is a terrific link player but we need a predator and besides Giroud wont be able to play every game himself. Pod probably plays better as part of a two man front line rather then holding the line himself.

We've played well tonight but we've got a warning if we take our eye of the ball for a second we'll be murdered on the break by the top sides

bad2dabone wrote: »
    calm down button, we've a tough run between now and christmas but Dortmund will be the best team we face till then and we were narrowly beaten. I think we'll bounce back.

Nah I'm sick and tired of the bull**** on this thread tbh and I'm pretty much done with it. What should I have said to prevent the circle-jerk pouncing after tonight's result? Waxed lyrical about a shot hitting the post or look for a gif of a nice flick that went to the right team?

G'luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Rosicky jogging back for the second goal.

Still a bad goal to give away, we have been getting caught on the counter for years now, always the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Am I the only one who thought the plan for the first half was to sit back and just counter attack Dortmund?

Of course when they got the goal, that changed everything and I think that showed for about ten minutes after their goal where we looked unsure. After that though we settled and started taking charge until half time, after which we resumed the original plan, to greater effect admittedly.

To be honest, I'm gutted we didn't win that.We were completely in charge for the entire second half. Right up until they got the goal I can't remember them having a shot. Thought Giroud was unlucky not to be given a few free kicks as well.

Apart from that second goal, I'm not sure how people are unhappy. We played one of the best teams in Europe and outplayed them for most of the game. I know the usuals will complain and moan (but then again, that's the only time they ever post in here and have been strangely missing until now) but I think the rest of us shouldn't be overly negative.

I am unhappy we lost, but we didn't deserve to, even when some of our better players were having an off night. If it had been nearly any other team we would have won comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

G'luck.

Good luck to you sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Nah I'm sick and tired of the bull**** on this thread tbh and I'm pretty much done with it. What should I have said to prevent the circle-jerk pouncing after tonight's result? Waxed lyrical about a shot hitting the post or look for a gif of a nice flick that went to the right team?

G'luck.

Run along then. You wont be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

G'luck.

Ah don't go.

I actually agree with you. We looked poor at times tonight.

But it goes to show - Ramsey, Wilshire, Arteta, Cazorla, Ozil. That's 5 CMF/AMF players on the pitch, albeit some in different positions.

That's a weakness in attack and a team as organised as Dortmund will be able to set themselves up to nullify a team with no width or real pace.

Walcott would have been useful tonight.

All that said they were clinical as fcuk in that they scored pretty much both their chances.

We're not as good as we looked against Norwich but we're not really worse than Dortmund either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

In fairness the reaction to Buttons posts tonight were abit ridiculous, not much was said at all.

Different opinions make the thread interesting, hence why it's always quite when we win.

Good performance tonight, disappointing result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Arteta was excellent tonight. Tackling, Passing, breaking up play. Such a vital cog for this team imo.

Soups123 wrote: »
    In fairness the reaction to Buttons posts tonight were abit ridiculous, not much was said at all.

Different opinions make the thread interesting, hence why it's always quite when we win.

Good performance tonight, disappointing result.

His posts tonight weren't bad in fairness I think it just his constant negativity regardless of results that grates on people and everyone was just waiting for the almost told you so posts it was almost like a pre emptive strike :pac:.

Can't wait till we have a fully fit squad with plenty of different options on the bench something we are lacking at the moment player who can come on and offer something different such as Walcott or Chamberlain or even Podolski with his clinical finishing.

There is still a lot to look forward to and be positive about.

Why cant we win out there? we will have Flamini and Walcott back who would make a huge difference, they should have the seam team, we are better away from home and can play on the counter, definitely can get a point.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Why cant we win out there? we will have Flamini and Walcott back who would make a huge difference, they should have the seam team, we are better away from home and can play on the counter, definitely can get a point.

Won't have walcott back.

Raf32 wrote: »

That's exactly my thinking, hence why I said a Munich or Inter Milan A.C Milan type result away from home.

Won't have walcott back.

isnt he back for Liverpool a few days before?

That's exactly my thinking, hence why I said a Munich or Inter Milan A.C Milan type result away from home.

a draw would be brilliant and then beat marseille and we are flying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think we've a better chance of doing Napoli away. A point at Dortmund would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Im not dismissing our victories in those games but in comparison to Dortmund who are arguably one of the top 3 or 4 sides in Europe i believe we have a bit to go to catch up to their current standard. Its not unfair to say that is it? We were unlucky tonight but the bit of cuteness and homework won it for Dortmund i think

We were much better than Dortmund tonight, especially when Cazorla came on. What game were you watching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Gutted with the result especially after some of our 2nd half display which i thought was awesome at times, but we are a team who are vulnerable to a counter attacking team and Dortmund are the masters at that. Its just small details that let us down in the big games. Anyways lets not get too down there was alot of positives to take out of tonights game, roll on the weekend and Crystal Palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Another thing. How good was Arteta tonight. MOTM for me with Kos a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,467 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Only saw the first half and then the goals afterwards as I had to go out.
    A couple of points --

1. Flamini was sorely missed.
    2. We have to learn to get wise. There is a time to kick the ball clear and not try to dribble it out.
    3. Our crossing is still dire in general.
    4. We can still go through as we are as good as Dortmund and Napoli if we stay focused.
    5 Some of our defenders lack positional sense. Watch Gibbs for the first goal. Marking nobody on our left.
    6. We can get back on track against Palace on Sat at 12.45.

Come on you Gunners.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Only saw the first half and then the goals afterwards as I had to go out.
    A couple of points --

1. Flamini was sorely missed.
    2. We have to learn to get wise. There is a time to kick the ball clear and not try to dribble it out.
    3. Our crossing is still dire in general.
    4. We can still go through as we are as good as Dortmund and Napoli if we stay focused.
    5 Some of our defenders lack positional sense. Watch Gibbs for the first goal. Marking nobody on our left.
    6. We can get back on track against Palace on Sat at 12.45.

Come on you Gunners.

Flamini was sorely missed in the first half but Arteta did a great job of filling hist shoes after the break.

Just seen Wenger say we should have settled for the draw, first time I ever heard him say that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

G'luck.

Every cloud and all that, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Disappointed with the result but no shame in losing against Dortmund.

I think we have a good chance at getting something from the game in Germany. There wasn't much between us. Walcott would have been very useful tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,467 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

G'luck.

Ah don't be going away Button. I agree with many of the points you make on the threads.
    We should all call it as we see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Flamini sorely missed. Where was Sagna / covering Sagna's position for the second goal? Gambling endlessly for the winning goal can often get punished by a counter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

At the other halfs place tonightz only saw bits and pieces of the game and to me Arteta looked fantastic... But was that him jogging back for the winning goal? Couldn't quite see on the small TV but whoever it was should be shot!! That aside we played very well in parts tonight and Giroud impressed me again. I'm really really starting to think he is world class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Just seen Wenger say we should have settled for the draw, first time I ever heard him say that!

It was the percentage play tbh. Had we got a point then we'd have put Dortmund in an awkward position in that they'd have to come out and attack us at the Westfalenstadion which would have played into our hands.

We're in an awkward spot now in that we probably need to win 1 of the remaining away games, or at least draw both and then beat Marseille at home.

FearDark wrote: »
    At the other halfs place tonightz only saw bits and pieces of the game and to me Arteta looked fantastic... But was that him jogging back for the winning goal? Couldn't quite see on the small TV but whoever it was should be shot!! That aside we played very well in parts tonight and Giroud impressed me again. I'm really really starting to think he is world class.

Yeah noticed Arteta jogging over to close Lewandowski down. Also I think it was Gibbs that originally got caught with the ball and so he was out of position for their attack so Kos moved to LB and Mert and Sagna got dragged towards the centre. Then someone ran past Mert/Sagna towards the ball and they followed which gave Lewa the extra space, although it looked like Arteta could have made it if he had pushed himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We could have still pushed on looking for a winner but there was no need to go gung-ho and that's what caught

We should have pressed for a winner but also kept out shape

I was impressed with ua tonight we got to grips with there pressing and actually started to dominate them second half

We just need to be wiser but that will come this team is still in its infancy and we will learn with experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

farna_boy wrote: »
    Yeah noticed Arteta jogging over to close Lewandowski down. Also I think it was Gibbs that originally got caught with the ball and so he was out of position for their attack so Kos moved to LB and Mert and Sagna got dragged towards the centre. Then someone ran past Mert/Sagna towards the ball and they followed which gave Lewa the extra space, although it looked like Arteta could have made it if he had pushed himself.

sanga was up attacking & ozil never tracked back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Giroud is on Dieux du Stade 2014! And I have it! #diehard

batistuta9 wrote: »
    sanga was up attacking & ozil never tracked back

Fair enough. Just looked at itagain. Gibbs was chasing back trying to catch whoever crossed the ball. Kos was being dragged out towards the same player, someone ran across Mert and pulled him out of position and Arteta was still jogging (although not 100% sure if he could have made it).

Le Photo (nsfw)

farna_boy wrote: »
    Fair enough. Just looked at itagain. Gibbs was chasing back trying to catch whoever crossed the ball. Kos was being dragged out towards the same player, someone ran across Mert and pulled him out of position and Arteta was still jogging (although not 100% sure if he could have made it).

i was just saying what happened on the right, it was shown on the highlights show on ITV after

yeah gibbs went to the ball, when there was someone overlapping - grosskreutz - and that pulled everyone else over
    cazorla or whoever wasn't tracking either on the left

efb wrote: »
    Le Photo (nsfw)

he has a very small head for a big lad :pac:

Hate that feeling, waking up the morning after a defeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Hate that feeling, waking up the morning after a defeat.

Try waking up to defeat

As long as we bounce back it's all gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I couldn't disagree any more with this. There was absolutely nobody for Gibbs to mark. He was in his position while Arsenal had the ball.

Then Ramsey lost the ball, and Koscielny who was marking the goalscorer, went to close down suddenly.

I think the main reason Gibbs wasn't marking anyone on the left is because there was nobody there.

40.gif

Ramsey's fault for the first, pure and simple. Shez should have done better though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We are still top of the group and we are more than capable of winning our last 3 games, there is nothing to fear. The game was fairly even last night, a draw would have been a fair result. It's a shame we lost as this puts some pressure on us between a few tough league games. A win last night would have made things easier.

Our lack of depth in certain positions was shown up last night. We really needed something different up front as we were not causing them much trouble. Bringing on Bendtner was not the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

efb wrote: »
    Ramsey's fault for the first, pure and simple. Shez should have done better though

I actually thought Shez could have done better for both goals. Neither were his fault but he seemed wrong footed for both of them.

The main thing is we go and beat Palace now the weekend. Get straight back on track. We are lucky in a way that we are playing Palace straight after this. Good chance to get the confidence back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Would we have taken 6 points after the first 3 games? I think so...lighten up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

We were the better team for the most part, particularly in the second half, but we didn't create enough clear chances while we were on top and Dortmund showed us that against the best teams you can't afford to do that, because you will be punished.

We can still get 12 points from this group, but now we must win one of our away games in Dortmund or Napoli and put a few past Marseille at home while we're at it.

Last night's result makes CL progress tougher, but it might have a positive effect on our league campaign. It might be good for the players to have a loss fresh in their minds ahead of the games against Liverpool and Man U, remind them to keep their concentration up.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    We were the better team for the most part, particularly in the second half, but we didn't create enough clear chances while we were on top and Dortmund showed us that against the best teams you can't afford to do that, because you will be punished.

We can still get 12 points from this group, but now we must win one of our away games in Dortmund or Napoli and put a few past Marseille at home while we're at it.

Last night's result makes CL progress tougher, but it might have a positive effect on our league campaign. It might be good for the players to have a loss fresh in their minds ahead of the games against Liverpool and Man U, remind them to keep their concentration up.

I just don't agree with this logic, we lost simple as.

A win would have been much better going into the pool and united games, we would be much more confident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

2ndcoming wrote: »

We really struggled to create last night when we were denied space.

This will happen against the good teams we're about to play as well.

Goals like Wilshire's are all well and good but they're not going to happen every week.

When's Walcott back?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement