Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That Hansen analysis was bizarre, criticise the team for yesterday sure, but against Villa they were 2-1 down in the last few minutes, of course they're going to commit players forward. Likewise for the Everton game from years ago..really really bizarre stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

AdamD wrote: »
    That Hansen analysis was bizarre, criticise the team for yesterday sure, but against Villa they were 2-1 down in the last few minutes, of course they're going to commit players forward. Likewise for the Everton game from years ago..really really bizarre stuff.

Criticise the team for yesterday? We won 2 0 ffs.

You're as bad as him.

Criticise the team for yesterday? We won 2 0 ffs.

You're as bad as him.
    For the situation where Arteta got sent off...we were 1-0 up and had 1 player back for a corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

For the situation where Arteta got sent off...we were 1-0 up and had 1 player back for a corner.

But but we won, 2 0, how can you criticise the team after that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Good bit in the secret footballer on MOTD coverage about how they essentially pick their narrative and then go find clips to back it up regardless of what actually happened in the game.

The thing that worried me about yesterday was that we were very poor for the second game running at turning possession into shots.

It seems Arsenal can be contained by a hard working team and we're still not beyond conceding great chances to opponents that appear to be barely in the game.

The next three games will be hugely difficult if we don't improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

But but we won, 2 0, how can you criticise the team after that?

Of course we can criticise . We gave a poor team 4 great goal chances and it doesn't matter that they spurned them. Other teams wouldn't. Our defence was poor at times yesterday and to deny that is not the thing to do. I hope Bould and Wenger are working on that this week before the Liverpool game as Suarez and Sturrige won't miss chances like Palace did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

gosplan wrote: »
    Good bit in the secret footballer on MOTD coverage about how they essentially pick their narrative and then go find clips to back it up regardless of what actually happened in the game.

The thing that worried me about yesterday was that we were very poor for the second game running at turning possession into shots.

It seems Arsenal can be contained by a hard working team and we're still not beyond conceding great chances to opponents that appear to be barely in the game.

The next three games will be hugely difficult if we don't improve.

If a centre back can keep giroud from holding the ball up we have a problem. It was our main problem yesterday. The defender was strong and was able to stop Giroud from holding the play up and letting midfield players run past the defense. Hopefully with theo, Podolski and Ox back it won't be too much of a problem because they have the speed to get past a defense on their own

No more goals in these games today would be nice.

Edited: well hull can score if they want

No more goals in these games today would be nice.

Edited: well hull can score if they want

Why do I bother saying such stupid things?

• Advertisement

I know people will point out that its all about results, but it must be seriously boring watching Spurs these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

How many penalties have won Spurs games now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Supposedly interested in Cuadrado from Fiorentina, is he any good? Anyone watch serie A?

Mourinho on #afc game: "If they want #afc to win a trophy, that's a help. If they want a big game in London, they should play it on Weds."
    It was a nothing game before but now I want nothing more to hockey them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Raf32 wrote: »
    Supposedly interested in Cuadrado from Fiorentina, is he any good? Anyone watch serie A?

Yes, yes he is. Fantastic player. Very strong attacking wise, insanely quick, scores goals, he's not really a natural right back though. More a wing-back/winger. He'd probably cost around £20m too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

it was 1-1 when pienaar scored that goal

• Advertisement

FearDark wrote: »
    Hang on there, there's analysis and theres being overly critical of a team, he attacked the entire team and it was WAY over the top imo. And it's not the first time he's done it either. He should take a leaf out of G.Nevilles book, that man is Man Utd through and through and manages to give balanced and fair analysis on some of Man Utd's fiercest rivals every week. Alan Hansen is just another clown of a man, he's the Scottish Eamon Dunphy.

i wouldn't say it was over the top at all

he's pointing out that it's brutal defending & showing they keep doing it, learning nothing it seems - that what he was trying to show & he did i think

someone pointing out mistakes from arsenal isn't overly critical, but everyone likes to think it is

what do you think neville would say about it?

Fiorentina winger Cuadrado on #afc interest: "I did not know. It's something that pleases me but I'm happy here. We'll see later."
    looks like it might have legs

I know people will point out that its all about results, but it must be seriously boring watching Spurs these days.

In fairness though they've loads of new players. I don't think any if them are that great but it's going to take time to gel. We added one new player so there's very little upheaval.

2 things if I may.

A great big I told you so to those who were freaking out cause Spurs paid loads for Llamela, Soldado and the rest. They're decent players but none of them would have done anything for Arsenal bar provide some squad depth.

Also I think you could get Soldado scorer 1-0 spurs along with giroud scorer 3-1 arsenal for insane money. Might just stick a tenner in it every week. Probably happen once or twice before season end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Yes, yes he is. Fantastic player. Very strong attacking wise, insanely quick, scores goals, he's not really a natural right back though. More a wing-back/winger. He'd probably cost around £20m too.

Would he be willing to play at right back though? We are completely stacked in midfield as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i wouldn't say it was over the top at all

he's pointing out that it's brutal defending & showing they keep doing it, learning nothing it seems - that what he was trying to show & he did i think

someone pointing out mistakes from arsenal isn't overly critical, but everyone likes to think it is

what do you think neville would say about it?

For the Villa game we were down to 10 men and chasing the game at its death. For both matches this season we were without Flamini who brings defensive discipline to the midfield. He mentioned none of this with his analysis. If he had I would have given it more credence. He's just like a tabloid journalist quoting someone without providing any context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Would he be willing to play at right back though? We are completely stacked in midfield as is.

I'd think if we buy someone like that, Wenger wants us to play Walcott on the right, in which case this sounds like competition (as well as RB backup).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sounds like a story to try twist Sagna's arm to be honest.

greendom wrote: »
    For the Villa game we were down to 10 men and chasing the game at its death. For both matches this season we were without Flamini who brings defensive discipline to the midfield. He mentioned none of this with his analysis. If he had I would have given it more credence. He's just like a tabloid journalist quoting someone without providing any context.

villa game maybe it could be excused, maybe

but what the fúck would he mention flamini for? why do people keep harping on about him?

it's about positioning from a corner - nothing else, it shouldn't matter who's on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

but what the fúck would he mention flamini for? why do people keep harping on about him?

it's about positioning from a corner - nothing else, it shouldn't matter who's on the pitch

Well famini does cover the left, esp when cazorla goes in field and Gibbs pushes on so maybe he would have covered

But yeah I agree it was a corner and it was a shît piece of play by us so we deserved to be critised

Yes it was poor defending, but to try and make out that it is a common event by picking out 2 extreme examples out of over 100 games in the time period Hasen chose is pushing things.

greendom wrote: »
    Yes it was poor defending, but to try and make out that it is a common event by picking out 2 extreme examples out of over 100 games in the time period Hasen chose is pushing things.

yeah that's exactly what he was highlighting, poor defending, that's all it was, no anti-arsenal agenda

he wasn't saying it was common but that they keep doing it/don't seem to have learned - not that it happens every week

that's what tends to happen though when they point out things like that, they use the examples to prove the point
    like a load of clips of a keeper messing up or whatever

Well famini does cover the left, esp when cazorla goes in field and Gibbs pushes on so maybe he would have covered

But yeah I agree it was a corner and it was a shît piece of play by us so we deserved to be critised

yeah in open play, he's there to cover

he was showing the poor positioning from the corner, shouldn't matter who's on the pitch

yeah that's exactly what he was highlighting, poor defending, that's all it was, no anti-arsenal agenda

he wasn't saying it was common but that they keep doing it/don't seem to have learned - not that it happens every week

that's what tends to happen though when they point out things like that, they use the examples to prove the point

Yes, perhaps but last night attempt was pretty lame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Ah yeah he'd be grand at RB, he plays there for Colombia usually. He'd be a great buy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

He picked 3 examples over 3 seasons. You could analysis any team and find that many examples of all sorts of defense/midfield/forward/goalkeeping mistakes. What the doesn't show is how many goals have Arsenal scored from flooding the opposition half and scoring goals, that may tell a different story.

Having watched MOTD tonight it was claw strutching from Hanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Hanson chats crap most of the time though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So, the real test starts now. We've only played Swansea and Spurs team that were too fresh from their shopping spree from the top half. It will be interesting to see where we are at the end of Nov., very tough month of games. It will show what we are capable of, if we are still top or very close then I think we've a real shot at the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Any word on our injured players, some of them must be back now surely.

Any word on our injured players, some of them must be back now surely.

Unless he has another setback, Walcott should be in contention for the Man U game. It's looking like that will be the same for Flamini too. Podolski and Ox are still a month away I think.

Hopefully we may get more positive news in the Chelsea press conference.

Better news is that Gnabry has signed a long term deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Can't believe I just spent the last few minutes reading pages of someone defending Hansen as a pundit he is beyond useless along with everyone on MOTD the only pundit I like really is Neville and Carragher so far.

Neville gives balanced well educated analysis. Hansen just dribbles out of his arse.
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    Another 3 points on the board lads happy days. Must say what an absolute wonderful save from Chesney yet again at a crucial time in the match. He really is growing on me is the young Pole :D

It's about time ;).

Zelalem is back too

Do you think Zelalem will feature? I'd love to see him but given he's only back wouldn't be to sure he well get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

jester77 wrote: »
    So, the real test starts now. We've only played Swansea and Spurs team that were too fresh from their shopping spree from the top half. It will be interesting to see where we are at the end of Nov., very tough month of games. It will show what we are capable of, if we are still top or very close then I think we've a real shot at the league.

that.
    I find the Liverpool game extremely important. We need to win this and stay on top of the league. Then, even if we lose at Manchester, worst case scenario (Chelsea keep on winning) we will be one point behind the leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Can't believe I just spent the last few minutes reading pages of someone defending Hansen as a pundit he is beyond useless along with everyone on MOTD the only pundit I like really is Neville and Carragher so far.

Neville gives balanced well educated analysis. Hansen just dribbles out of his arse.

It's about time ;).

Do you think Zelalem will feature? I'd love to see him but given he's only back wouldn't be to sure he well get on.

Wenger actually said he will play 45 mins with the u18s first

With all the injuries we have I think we will see a pretty strong midfield tomorrow which is not ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Martin Atkinson to ref our game on Saturday.

Ryo Miyachi and Hayden will be "involved" tomorrow. Seems my starting XI won't be too far out.

From Arsenal.com http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/team-news-who-is-fit-to-face-chelsea-
    on Mathieu Flamini...
    He has a scan today and then we will get the results as to how long he will be out. It doesn't look like a bad muscle injury but honestly it's too early to give you a precise answer. It's a groin injury.
    on Jack Wilshere...
    Yes, he is OK to play.
    on Mikel Arteta...
    He is suspended for one game, so I will not appeal.
    on other injuries...
    Serge Gnabry has a problem, he got a kick on the ankle. He will be assessed tomorrow. After that we will decide who plays and who doesn't play. I will decide [on Tuesday]. Eisfeld has a back problem.
    on Gedion Zalalem...
    He is not yet available. He had a knee problem. He is back in full training but he has not played yet. He will play 45 minutes with the under-18 team later this week.
    on Emmanuel Frimpong...
    He is still short of competition. Isaac Hayden will be involved, Ryo and Gnabry if he's fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Are we on the telly tomorrow?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Are we on the telly tomorrow?

Sky Sports 2.

Jenks, Verm, Mert, Nacho
    Frimpong
    Hayden
    Gnabry Rosicky Ryo
    Bendtner

IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Jenks, Verm, Mert, Nacho
    Frimpong
    Hayden
    Gnabry Rosicky Ryo
    Bendtner

IMO

Gnabry is a doubt and frimpong is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Jenks, Verm, Mert, Nacho
    Frimpong
    Hayden
    Gnabry Rosicky Ryo
    Bendtner

IMO

Wilshere for Frimpong and I can see that being the line up.

Wouldn't play Wilshere or Mert. None of the first team actually. Mickey Mouse Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wouldn't play Wilshere or Mert. None of the first team actually. Mickey Mouse Cup.

I agree. I'd hate to lose someone important to injury and end up getting beaten by 'pool over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

He really is a ridiculously handsome man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I will have his babies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I saw Big Al win yet another MOTM this evening vs Brighton. Key player for Watford actually. Nice to see him do well,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement