Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Rosicky as well at times does my head in, Cazorla in the first few mins of the 2nd half played him a ball and he just ran away from it and when Mikel intercepted it he didnt even seem bothered to chase back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ryo is useless, if i never saw him in an Arsenal shirt again, it would be too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Monreal has looked good the last couple of times he's featured to be fair,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Bendtner had a poor display and set the tone for the game. He cannot play with his back turned from goal at all and put the midfield under added pressure.

Cazorla looked very tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,483 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We had one shot on target all night.
    We seemed afraid to shoot.
    Not many crosses were sent in either even when Giroud came on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Raf32 wrote: »
    Ryo is useless, if i never saw him in an Arsenal shirt again, it would be too soon.

i think the Ryo experiment has to go down as a failure. He's never going to be good enough.

Shocked with how poor Jenko was tonight also which wasnt the first time, if he doesnt improve too much Coleman would be a great addition give us good competition at left and right back. Cazorla superb imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I think I'm more disgusted by Wenger tonight. Ozil, Giroud and Ramsey should have been no where near that team. I thought Ramsey was poor enough again tonight, admittedly probably by his standards, but for me this is the third game in a row where he didn't have a good game.

In fairness though, a lot of it probably comes down to tiredness and I would have thought Wenger would have recognised this and rested him tonight. The most worrying thing about Ramsey tonight was his tendency from last seasson to try over complicate things / try flicks made an appearance again.

Ryo didn't have a good game but there was twice, early in the second half where he was free out on the wing/ on the right edge of the box where Ramsey could have passed it to him easily but instead tried an impossible pass to Bendtner.

Speaking of Ryo, he looked way off the pace tonight and like he had never played with the team before. Does he regularly train with the team or is he still recovering from injury does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Flamini would have relished cutting mikel in two tonight.

Real pity he's injured over the next few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I wouldn't read a huge amount into that and tbh I don't think its a disaster that we're out of the League Cup given how stretched the squad is at the moment.

What it probably highlights to me is that there's a bit of work to be done depth wise and some of the players, in particular Jenkinson, need to learn from that experience. Miyaichi isn't good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

cson wrote: »
    I wouldn't read a huge amount into that and tbh I don't think its a disaster that we're out of the League Cup given how stretched the squad is at the moment.

What it probably highlights to me is that there's a bit of work to be done depth wise and some of the players, in particular Jenkinson, need to learn from that experience. Miyaichi isn't good enough.

Exactly no meltdown, players coming back we will be ok

Jenks I feel is running out of time I can see wenger going for a RB in jan

Beat Liverpool at the weekend and this will be all forgotten, need a massive performance saturday and would personally start Gnabry for some width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It's the League Cup, who cares?

I'm just disappointed we risked so many players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Also shows just how important Giroud is and not just because of his goals. His hold-up play allows midfielders like Santi and Rambo to get onto the ball in advanced positions and, not having a go at Bendtner because it's a done thing, but a cardboard cut-out would have been more effective tonight. Midfield players had no-one to pass to up top and I know they didn't cross for Giroud either but Bendtner was never in a position to cross too.

P.S. I'd be putting money on Monreal to get a goal soon, that man is on a mission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I wonder why exactly we brought Viviano in on loan? Seems a very bizarre signing.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Beat Liverpool at the weekend and this will be all forgotten, need a massive performance saturday and would personally start Gnabry for some width.

Gnabry has to start too I think we need or RW to be direct

Jack maybe looses out but Ramsey looks fcuked so maybe he drops out

Gnabry has to start too I think we need or RW to be direct

Jack maybe looses out but Ramsey looks fcuked so maybe he drops out

Yup especially with Cazorla on the opposite flank. think i would give Ramsey the nod, offers more and covers more ground, maybe take him off after 60.
    would have been the perfect game for
    Arteta Flamini
    Ozil

Sergio wrote: »
    Very disappointed at tonights performance more so than the result. Never looked like any real threat to Chelsea defense over the 90 mins.

We had our chances

• Ryo in first half just before Chelsea got the first
    • Monreal in first half skinning the post
    • Ramsey skinned the post in the second half
    • Bendtner bizarrely opting to pass it back when he was within 6 yards of goal
    One would think Chelsea bombarded our goal but truth is they didnt although the other side of that was that they were far more clinical with the limited chances. We couldnt afford a slip up yet we made one and were punished and it was all uphill from then on.

Wolf Club wrote: »
    I wonder why exactly we brought Viviano in on loan? Seems a very bizarre signing.

Perhaps it has had the desired effect on Fabianski or either that he is more similar to Almunia than merely resemblance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Damnit. Every time I miss a game we loose.

• Advertisement

I actually think verm/kos, and jack/Ramsey

Done quiet well tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Wolf Club wrote: »

Cover/competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Positives
    The players who you'd hope are first 11 played well.
    Cazorla got 90 minutes he needed, looked sharper.
    Monreal is great left back cover.
    No injuries.

Negatives
    Bendtner, really hate seeing him in our jersey, doesn't deserve it nor does he try to earn it. He is just ****, lazy and effortless.
    Jenks, no confidence at all, his general play was awful again.
    Ryo, I just don't see what the point is.
    Verm was fairly quite all game, not poor but seemed off, maybe it's just lack of game time.

As a club we need to start winning our share of games against the top 4, we always seem to be on the losing side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Perhaps it has had the desired effect on Fabianski or either that he is more similar to Almunia than merely resemblance

Nope ;) it's just as Wenger said at the time with Manonne departing Wenger felt we needed a 3rd keeper to make sure we had enough cover. So essentially he is doing what he was brought in to do provide cover and depth.

Not to fussed about tonight's result am a bit nervous about the Liverpool game though Suarez and Sturridge are on fire and we badly need to start getting players back from injury and hope No more join the list like Flamini who will be missed in this very tough run of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Maybe it'll be good thing for Saturday...Liverpool must be down as favouties now, we tend to do better in those situations.

So 3 massive games coming up, what do we people expect/hope we can get points wise for these three games I think we don't care about performances all about the result

9 - not gonna happen
    7 - I would be delighted
    6 - would be good too
    5 - not too bad keep us in there
    4 - I think we might end up with this

Anything less I think is really poor

(I'm all about the prem now, champs league is a bonus but I won't get excited/depressed whichever way the results go)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So 3 massive games coming up, what do we people expect/hope we can get points wise for these three games I think we don't care about performances all about the result

9 - not gonna happen
    7 - I would be delighted
    6 - would be good too
    5 - not too bad keep us in there
    4 - I think we might end up with this

Anything less I think is really poor

(I'm all about the prem now, champs league is a bonus but I won't get excited/depressed whichever way the results go)

All depends on the squad I know Podolski is back running but when can we expect him to be back in the squad? Having someone with his quality at finishing will always be a welcome return. We could have really done with the Ox and Walcott back aswell for this run and certainly done without loosing Flamini.

I think 6 or 7 should be what were aiming for now whether we get that is a different story altogether. I just hope the two recent loses haven't effected confidence within the squad. Last night was a nothing match imo and the Dortmund game was really one of them games the could have went either way really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Mourinho just employed the tactics in the 2nd half fergie talked about in his autobiography when he would play arsenal, sit back, stay tight, and hit us on the counter, we really need a change of plan against the top teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Mourinho just employed the tactics in the 2nd half fergie talked about in his autobiography when he would play arsenal, sit back, stay tight, and hit us on the counter, we really need a change of plan against the top teams.

What do you want Wenger to do tho? We were at home and chasing the game. If a team is sitting back keeping it tight there isnt a lot a change of tactics can do.

I think a win and a draw from the PL games and we need at the very least a point from Dortmund. That way we keep momentum going and we would prob still be in the top 2 or 3 in the PL after that. Would be great if Marseille could take points off Napoli tho.

• Advertisement

jonny666 wrote: »
    What do you want Wenger to do tho? We were at home and chasing the game. If a team is sitting back keeping it tight there isnt a lot a change of tactics can do.

I think a win and a draw from the PL games and we need at the very least a point from Dortmund. That way we keep momentum going and we would prob still be in the top 2 or 3 in the PL after that. Would be great if Marseille could take points off Napoli tho.

I dunno but clearly something has to change seems he hasn't beat mourinho in 11games, seems all the big teams have us sussed out.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I dunno but clearly something has to change seems he hasn't beat mourinho in 11games, seems all the big teams have us sussed out.

We've only played one of them yet and it was a nothing game where we started Bendtner and Miyachi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

That stat, "Wenger has never beaten Mourinho" is a crock of **** stat for the likes of SSN to say every few minutes on the day of a match to hype it up. Last time Mourinho was at Chelsea they had a billion euro team ffs.

FearDark wrote: »
    That stat, "Wenger has never beaten Mourinho" is a crock of **** stat for the likes of SSN to say every few minutes on the day of a match to hype it up. Last time Mourinho was at Chelsea they had a billion euro team ffs.

Why are you getting so angry?

Seriously noone can have any sort of negative opinion about arsenal with you, you just jump down their throat straightaway.

It's not a ssn stat, it's a real stat which raises a lot of questions.

Don't automatically think because someone criticises Wenger it means they want him out.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    We've only played one of them yet and it was a nothing game where we started Bendtner and Miyachi.

Did we not play dortmund last week?

Anyway not too bothered were out of it, let's concentrate on Saturday, I reckon Santi and ozil will be too much for them on Saturday, santi looked class last night, love watching him play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We conceded early goals in both games. Every team sits back after they score first in a big game against us, its inevitable. The problem is more to do with handing teams early goals than the tactics.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

First goal was always going to be crucial, Jenkinson handed it to them. Should have signed a RB in the summer but can't change that now.

Still, better to lose in the CC than anywhere else. Move on.

AdamD wrote: »
    We conceded early goals in both games. Every team sits back after they score first in a big game against us, its inevitable. The problem is more to do with handing teams early goals than the tactics.

Yeah but we were drawing with dostmund and still got caught badly on the counter attack, although they are one of the best at it.

I just hope we have learned from previous years
    of been constantly hit on the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

FearDark wrote: »

We've never had a billion euro team. :confused:

We've spent about 750million since Roman took over 10 years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

although would be happier with a win but not too bothered

I think we have to be realistic that we don't have the squad to compete in all competitions. Out of this may give us a benefit later on.

focus should be on a win at the weekend - our starting 11 is better, we just need to concentrate and prepare properly

• Advertisement

We need our players to stop having brain farts more than anything

Mistakes are killing us

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did we not play dortmund last week?

Meant in the PL, will have to include Napoli also so who we destroyed.

Like every year the season will not be based on how the top teams do against each other - it will be about how we do against the teams we should be beating. The top 6 teams are all good enough to take points off each other. of the top 10 games getting 12 - 15 points will be enough to keep us in contention. Dropping too many point against WBA, Cardiff, Hull etc are the points that kill you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We've never had a billion euro team. :confused:

We've spent about 750million since Roman took over 10 years ago.

Which is still probably £650m than we've spent in the corresponding period. Net spend there's probably £850m between the teams over the year. So £1bn is not a million miles away from the true figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭golfball37

Which is still probably £650m than we've spent in the corresponding period. Net spend there's probably £850m between the teams over the year. So £1bn is not a million miles away from the true figure.

Well it is actually- 750m is not 1bn in any language.

Also when Mourhino took over Chelsea Arsenel were in the middle of their record breaking unbeaten run so its unfair to say no defeats of Jose is not a stat worth mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I’ve heard Sebastian corchia mentioned as a RB signing – anyone seen much of him?

Ryo should be shipped out, he’ll have an ok career in a lesser league but he’s not what we need.
    Jenks, I like him as he’s a real fan of the club but he’s dodgy defensively and we can’t have passengers really. I’d see him being shifted on, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

+1
    Wenger doesnt seem to have a plan B.
    Dissapointed with last night, felt we were fairly predictable , in terms of trying the same thing to break thru Chelsea's defense even thought after 60 mins it was apparent it wasnt working.

In fairness all the players (except Bendtner) gave their all. I was dissapointed we had so few shots when in shooting positions. All in all alot of positives, a few squads players got a run and no injuries .

Interesting comment during the match from one of the commentators, he remarked that Wenger doesnt believe in a a HOME or AWAY style of play, the commentator remarked Wenger feels its irrelevant if your home or way, that you play the same way.

Thought Charlie Nicolas was spot on last week after the Dortmund loss. he said what was wrong with settling for a 1-1 draw, would have left us top of the group and in the driving seat, he didnt understand why Wenger kept chasing the game at 1-1 , driving on and leaving us vulnerable at the back. Charlie Nicolas felt we should have shut up shop midway thru second half at 1-1.

Thought Charlie Nicolas was spot on last week after the Dortmund loss. he said what was wrong with settling for a 1-1 draw, would have left us top of the group and in the driving seat, he didnt understand why Wenger kept chasing the game at 1-1 , driving on and leaving us vulnerable at the back. Charlie Nicolas felt we should have shut up shop midway thru second half at 1-1.

The problem is that in years gone by when AW used to bring on defensive players to close out a game, we ended up losing anyway and he was criticised for it.

If we had gone on to win the game last week we'd be saying how great it was that they never gave up.

I'd prefer the team to have the belief that they can beat anyone at home rather than just try and hang on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Plus when you take managers / pay-offs to managers you probably wouldn't be far off. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

+1

Wenger has said himself that he would have been happy to settle for a 1-1 and was annoyed at the players pushing on like they did.

Also a bit soon people to be calling for Jenkinson to be shipped out. Although obviously he can't be relied on at this stage which is why Sagna needs to be signed up for a couple more years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement