Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Wenger has said himself that he would have been happy to settle for a 1-1 and was annoyed at the players pushing on like they did.

Also a bit soon people to be calling for Jenkinson to be shipped out. Although obviously he can't be relied on at this stage which is why Sagna needs to be signed up for a couple more years.
    Well could he not communicate this to them or tell them before the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Well could he not communicate this to them or tell them before the match?

Well, telling them to play for a draw before the game wouldn't be the best idea. But he could have tried to communicate it to them during the course of the game alright when he saw how it was panning out. I'm sure the players get caught up in it a bit when they feel they can win a game (as they could well have).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Disappointed we lost to that shower of bandits but overall I couldn't really care less.

It just means Bendtner will have less games this season which from last nights display wouldn't be a bad thing.

Liverpool at the weekend :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

cson wrote: »
    Which is still probably £650m than we've spent in the corresponding period. Net spend there's probably £850m between the teams over the year. So £1bn is not a million miles away from the true figure.

Thats the kind of guess work finances that can bring down a country.

You said a billion euro team which isnt even remotely true, even when he left in 2007 it was about half that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Anyone wanna guess what type of reaction toure will get?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Oranage2 wrote: »

Cant see it being nasty. He's too nice a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thats the kind of guess work finances that can bring down a country.

You said a billion euro team which isnt even remotely true, even when he left in 2007 it was about half that. :pac:

Well he wasn't that off the mark, Chelsea have spent $1.140 billion. = € 860 m = £ 713 M since Abramovich took-over.

and it doesn't even include the recent buys of Willian, Eto, KDB, Van ginkel or what ever his name is, which will be another $ 80= €60=£50...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2352273/Chelsea-signings-Roman-Abramovich--verdicts-them.html

But I don't think we should be using that as excuse for last night's defeat, I thought we were once again very poor in the last 3rd. Why do our full backs/wingers can't put in decent crosses, how hard is it to just look up ffs if anybody is in the box or not. Won't even talk about that Idiot Bendtner.

I only watched the 1st half and I thought all of Santi's set-piece deliveries were very poor - and unsurprisingly one of them led to panic defending and handing the advantage to opposition once again. Jenkinson doesn't fill me with confidence, especially if he is the last man defending - Swansea anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I wouldn't expect any animosity towards toure tbh.

imtdub wrote: »
    Well he wasn't that off the mark, Chelsea have spent $1.140 billion. = € 860 m = £ 713 M since Abramovich took-over.

and it doesn't even include the recent buys of Willian, Eto, KDB, Van ginkel or what ever his name is, which will be another $ 80= €60=£50...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2352273/Chelsea-signings-Roman-Abramovich--verdicts-them.html

So only about 240Million Pound Sterling off the mark? Fair enough. :pac:

• Advertisement

$1.2 Billion which is USD 200 Million more :D

imtdub wrote: »
    $1.2 Billion which is USD 200 Million more :D

But an English club doesnt buy or sell in US Dollars. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

why are we arguing about how much money it cost chelsea to buy success?

either way it's a massive difference in spending, and it's resulted in chelsea having a superior squad and of course a superior trophy cabinet in the last decade.

In all likelyhood they'll continue to be more successful as that gangster bankrolls them. It's just the way it is.

bad2dabone wrote: »

either way it's a massive difference in spending, and it's resulted in chelsea having a superior squad and of course a superior trophy cabinet in the last decade.

In all likelyhood they'll continue to be more successful as that gangster bankrolls them. It's just the way it is.

If ye spent any of yere money ye wouldnt be gathering dust in yere trophy cabinet for the past few seasons.

Ozil is a start but its about 5 years to late when you're trying yo play catch up to Chelsea, City and Utd in terms of domestic and European success.

Hell even Spurs went and spent money on the very likely Bale move that eventually happened.

Its not like Arsenal are poor or lacking the funds, a London club with Arsenals backing should be spending and attracting better calibre of players to help compete and build a stronger squad.

But an English club doesnt buy or sell in US Dollars. :p

OK will give you that. But as they play in Europe and buy from Europe, where Euro is denominated currency, it is still € 950 Million - which isn't far off from a Billion I guess :D

I don't disagree Gav. There's no arguing though that Chelsea have superior resources financially, and crucially the willingness to employ those resources. And that's why they've been a more successful team in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

If ye spent any of yere money ye wouldnt be gathering dust in yere trophy cabinet for the past few seasons.

Ozil is a start but its about 5 years to late when you're trying yo play catch up to Chelsea, City and Utd in terms of domestic and European success.

Hell even Spurs went and spent money on the very likely Bale move that eventually happened.

Its not like Arsenal are poor or lacking the funds, a London club with Arsenals backing should be spending and attracting better calibre of players to help compete and build a stronger squad.

Agreed. Arsenal cant complain about other clubs spending when they have had the funds just Wenger chose to not spend it and/or both some awful players on the cheap instead.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He said a billion euro, not a billion sterling.

I was only quoting the amounts, I wouldn't use that as an excuse for poor performance. Even though we've haven't bought big, but we've been paying these d*ck heads like Bendtner huge wages that's why we can't get rid of them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ozil is a start but its about 5 years to late when you're trying yo play catch up to Chelsea in terms of European success.

We did spend our money, on our stadium. To the detriment of our first team but that will come around again.

And I think we might have the slight edge on ye domestically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Just a bit ;)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

... anyway, forget about transfer spends and whatever, the true benefit financial bestowed on Chelsea by Abramovich is the £630m losses they've accrued, and it's a bit rich to hear Chelsea fans telling Arsenal what they're doing wrong financially.

well that's a factor, a club like Arsenal or Liverpool, or even utd, if we spend 20-30m on a player its a big deal and a really big deal if the player doesn't work out. For Chelsea and City they can afford to make more errors in the transfer market and buy more players who might or might not work out - and lend them out. Chelsea could even field a decent 11 of premier league standard players who are out on loan.
    Being able to spend their resources in such a fashion elevates City and Chelsea above the other teams, in a similar way to how Arsenal, Utd, Spurs and Liverpool have more resources than teams in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Özil gave his jersey to Mourinho last night after the game.

Bafk5s3.jpg

I wouldnt call Chelsea anything extraordinary considering the money spent.

It should be the expectation at the club but Wenger won as much titles spending a fraction of what Chelsea did.

I still support the right London club anyway thankfully. If you need the few billion to elevate yourselves from Zenith Data Cup chasers to European contenders then where is the fun in supporting a club like that.;)

slingerz wrote: »
    Agreed. Arsenal cant complain about other clubs spending when they have had the funds just Wenger chose to not spend it and/or both some awful players on the cheap instead.

Thats all Arsenal could afford. We were paying for a stadium or hadnt you noticed. I suppose when you live in an Abramovich funded bubble these things like responsible financial management at other clubs might get lost amongst all the madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Seriously, just let Chelsea do their thing and we'll do ours.

The stat that we've never beaten Jose's Chelsea is interesting though.

I do believe they're the worst team for Wenger's tactics. Defensively excellent, well organised and not probe to error. All that said there's a few managers that haven't done to well against him. Rafa I'm guessing did best but the idea that we can just alter our tactics to his for a match isn't entirely realistic. It's not so easy to change your playing philosophy. In a way, that's what cost Rafa's Liverpool the title - they were set up to be dogged, not lose and nick wins. A bit more Arsenal might have seen fewer draws and a PL title.

Overall I think for Wenger's way to succeed against Jose, you need an Henry, Messi or Ronaldo.

gosplan wrote: »
    Seriously, just let Chelsea do their thing and we'll do ours.

No problem with that. Just the lazy useless fúckwits in the media who seem to think we should follow their lead.

He always got a decent one when he used come back to the Emirates when he played for City. Seems overall to be a decent guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'd be very disappointed if an Invincible was given anything other than respect on a return visit. He did enough for us to earn it.

He said a billion euro, not a billion sterling.

Hi soriginal point was Jose had a Billion Euro/USD/Stg team back between 04-07 which was vastly wide of the mark.
    We did spend our money, on our stadium. To the detriment of our first team but that will come around again.

In yere history? Yes, ye've won what, 13/14 league titles.

Since yere last league title in 03-04 Arsenal have only finsihed above Chelsea once but winning the UCL and FA cup that year kind of made up for a terrible league campaign.
    I wouldnt call Chelsea anything extraordinary considering the money spent.

It should be the expectation at the club but Wenger won as much titles spending a fraction of what Chelsea did.

I still support the right London club anyway thankfully. If you need the few billion to elevate yourselves from Zenith Data Cup chasers to European contenders then where is the fun in supporting a club like that.;)

The fun? Its great fun, I've only being a Chelsea fan since about 91/92 given my age, so I dont remember the really, really dark days but since then its being a constant upward spiral in the last decade since Romans arrival.

I'm naive enough to sit here and argue if it wasnt for Roman we'd be in Spurs position and fighting for European places in the last couple of years but as I've no influence or say over how the club is run or operating I'll happily lap up the success and failures that Roman has brought to us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

jester77 wrote: »
    Özil gave his jersey to Mourinho last night after the game.

Bafk5s3.jpg

The way I saw it he asked Özil for it.

I'm just glad Mou didn't poke Bouldy in the eye

I'm just glad Mou didn't poke Bouldy in the eye

That wouldnt have ended well at all.

I think hes smarter to pick his battles and Bould woudl right up there with last guy to start any arguments with :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

A Chelsea fan lecturing on Finances.

Lol. :pac:

cson wrote: »
    A Chelsea fan lecturing on Finances.

Lol. :pac:

Not so much a lecture, more so I'd rather see correct figures being used instead of ones plucked from nowhere and far off the true figure at the time.

Its about as useful as me saying " Wenger should have easily defended his invincibles title, they were the best squad in the league "

Or a belter, " Arsenal have loads of money, why dont they spend it? Are the board & Wenger happy with 3rd/4th? "

We both know its not that simple, nor is it that black or white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Right lads can we get off the Chelsea topic because lets be honest who really gives a flying fcuk about last nights result, it's the Carling Cup I expected Chelsea to win so picking holes in our performance and in players like Bendtner who we already knew wasn't good enough is pointless.

Let just look forward to the much more important task of playing Liverpool, Dortmund and United the match last night was a nothing match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

lets be honest who really gives a flying fcuk about last nights result

With all due respect Arsenal can't be that picky imo having not won a trophy for 9 years. If I was wenger i'd have gone all out to win last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

With all due respect Arsenal can't be that picky imo having not won a trophy for 9 years. If I was wenger i'd have gone all out to win last night.

No interest in the carling cup. For me even the FA cup isnt high on my list. The league and Champions league is where its at. I wouldnt have given up one season of CL football for a carling cup win the last nine years.

with 2 difficult league games (united and southampton) and a difficult CL tie (away to dortmund) coming up he was right to play a weakened team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

For me, this is our priority order:

1. League
    2. Champions League
    3. Qualify for the Champions League
    4. Finish above spurs
    5. At least qualify for the Europa League
    6. FA Cup
    7. League Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I wouldn't turn my nose up at an FA cup tbh. The League cup I just see as a bit of craic with no real importance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nobody gives a sh1t about the FA cup or the Carling cup.

If Arsenal took one of those, the narrative would just change to 'haven't won a major trophy in a decade'.

The league and CL are the only things that will get the retarded section of the media off Wenger's back. We won't win either of those this year though but at least we're making huge progress compared to last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A large section of your own fans were quite upset though back when Wenger said finishing 4th was as good as a trophy. Now, I agree with him, but the amount of huge banners saying "4th is not a trophy" following that told it's own story.

The FA cup is very winnable. Get a good draw and your laughing. A good squad should be put out when the proper rounds start. If an average team like Wigan can win it, it shouldn't be too difficult for a talented squad like Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Or a belter, " Arsenal have loads of money, why dont they spend it? Are the board & Wenger happy with 3rd/4th? "

We both know its not that simple, nor is it that black or white.

Bit of a contradiction here in your two statements Gav?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

The fans who go week in week out want a trophy but not a mickey mouse cup. The FA cup would definitely be viewed as ahead of qualifying for the Europa or in all honesty finishing above spurs.

There were actually a small minority giving Wenger stick last night for putting out a weakened team. I was more annoyed with him risking Giroud when at 2-0 the game was dead.

There was a large majority giving bendtner stick last night. He was shocking but not as bad as Ryo.

However, no one cares about the league cup. Tickets were £20 for adults and £10 for kids and despite Chelsea having 9k fans, I'd say there was still at least 10k empty seats. Come the league and tickets will by £80/90 and it will be a sell out.

• Advertisement

That wouldnt have ended well at all.

I think hes smarter to pick his battles and Bould woudl right up there with last guy to start any arguments with :pac:

Perry Groves gave an anecdote in his book of how he accidentally commented to Bould after a game about a blonde girl that came onto the team bus whether 'she'd like a bit of ginge'.

It was Boulds sister :D He admitted he was lucky to live to tell the tale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,484 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hyzepher wrote: »
    although would be happier with a win but not too bothered

I think we have to be realistic that we don't have the squad to compete in all competitions. Out of this may give us a benefit later on.

focus should be on a win at the weekend - our starting 11 is better, we just need to concentrate and prepare properly

I am always on about starting well and focusing properly.
    Many of the games we lose seem to stem from a bad start.
    Also our crossing has not improved in the last few years. I often wonder do the players practice crosses and corners in training at all. Last night they didn't even try to cross the ball but that could have been the players lack of faith in B52.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I think the FA Cup is still important and a valued cup - we certainly should put out our strongest side to go and try and win it. (Plus it guarantees Europa League :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Maire2009 wrote: »
    I think the FA Cup is still important and a valued cup - we certainly should put out our strongest side to go and try and win it. (Plus it guarantees Europa League :P )

It should guarantee a Champions League spot in my opinion and bring the value back to a great competition. I loved F.A cup final day on the bbc years ago when they would start there coverage about 2 hours before kick off and give great insight to the history of the competition. Would love us to win it this year, I would take that over 4th place any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Gringo180 wrote: »
    It should guarantee a Champions League spot in my opinion and bring the value back to a great competition. I loved F.A cup final day on the bbc years ago when they would start there coverage about 2 hours before kick off and give great insight to the history of the competition. Would love us to win it this year, I would take that over 4th place any day.

No ****ing way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement