Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

greendom wrote: »
    I'm not sure he'd make the starting 11 after such a long time out but I think both he and Flamini are in contention.

not against every team but he's a hell of a weapon to have in the locker or against certain teams. Also with Ozil feeding him it could be a great year for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I'm surprised to see both pundits just say flat out Arsenal have no chance of winning the title. Motd pundits are happy to sit on the fence and offer little insight most of the time, so I find it a little strange they're adamant the title won't be going to the Emirates. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just genuinely find it odd. Arsenal have played spurs and high flying Liverpool and have been very consistent against the lesser teams. Don't underestimate how important that last bit is, was it 07/08 when Arsenal had the best record against other top 4 sides but still managed to blow it? I wouldn't put Arsenal favourites right now, and will need luck with injuries. But they're definitely in with a shout.

To be fair,they have a lot of league titles between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I'm surprised to see both pundits just say flat out Arsenal have no chance of winning the title. Motd pundits are happy to sit on the fence and offer little insight most of the time, so I find it a little strange they're adamant the title won't be going to the Emirates. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just genuinely find it odd. Arsenal have played spurs and high flying Liverpool and have been very consistent against the lesser teams. Don't underestimate how important that last bit is, was it 07/08 when Arsenal had the best record against other top 4 sides but still managed to blow it? I wouldn't put Arsenal favourites right now, and will need luck with injuries. But they're definitely in with a shout.

Exactly what I was coming on to post! They were fine tonight but I don't understand how they can be SO dismissive of arsenals chances. Reminds me a bit of Cunninghsms view that Arsenal wouldn't get 4th last year -steadfastly refused to even consider the chance, right to the end of the season, even when the gap was closing over the last few weeks of the season. Really got my goat actually.

Anyway, it was interesting to see them highlight how important Giroud is to arsenal though. I think people are finally starting to appreciate how big a player he is for us. Really is a nightmare for defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

my son was born in August and I wanted to call him Theo all along during the pregnancy my wife wouldn't have it though.
    anyhow we agreed on Aaron not after Ramsey unlike Theo who would of been after Walcott.

my point being my lil boy Aaron is our lucky charm, the only game we lost he was in his granny's for, so will have to make sure he's here next Sunday and for all the other games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Reminds me of when I had little Thierry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

here we go again lol
    BYGsH1wCMAAs6Jk.png:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Post that in the Liverpool forum, go wan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

I can't say I'm confident about winning the title, I'm confident of 3rd place, I'd be bitterly disappointed with lower than that. Chelsea and Man City though not perfect right now, have stronger hands than we do in terms of financial resources and squad depth (except for midfield where we are very healthy)

I really like how Giroud applies himself, but he is a bit lacking in the actual finishing department, we've been spoilt in the last 20 years, Wright-->Anelka-->Henry-->vPersie--> ? Giroud is an excellent team player but he doesn't exactly fit onto that pattern of goal scoring strikers we had become accustomed to.

A good game, but I'm not happy with the amount of chances Liverpool were able to create in the second half. A better team would have put a few of those chances away, like Dortmund recently for example. We're probably as good in possession as we have ever been in the last ten years at present, and while our defense has cut down on the individual errors and become far more composed since the Tottenham game in March, I'm still a bit concerned about how the team performs when not in possession.

Still though, not complaining too much, just thinking ahead in terms of are we good enough to win the league, at least it's actually a question worth considering at the moment. For the last few years it was ridiculous to even ask that question.

Post that in the Liverpool forum, go wan!

i just dont think they could handle it after today :pac:

I
    I really like how Giroud applies himself

As someone pointed out earlier, he brings our midfielders into the game.
    Raf32 wrote: »
    i just dont think they could handle it after today :pac:

MELTDOWN!

• Advertisement

Between them, Liverpool’s back three (Toure, Skrtel, Sakho) (52) have won just 6 more aerial duels than Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud (46).
    Cant fault the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

here we go again lol
    BYGsH1wCMAAs6Jk.png:large

fake?

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    fake?

No thats Geoff who usually is spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

No thats Geoff who usually is spot on

It's not there anymore

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    It's not there anymore

He removes all them sort of tweets, i saw it there too when he posted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Whatever about Walcott I can't wait for Poldi to come back. Himself and Giroud had such a great understanding last year and now Ozil is in the club as well, Poldi could flourish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Soups123 wrote: »
    Reminds me of when I had little Thierry

being adamant (great singer :pac:) about little Arsene Dennis Thierry is one way to make sure the pill is never forgotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

patrickc wrote: »
    my son was born in August and I wanted to call him Theo all along during the pregnancy my wife wouldn't have it though.
    anyhow we agreed on Aaron not after Ramsey unlike Theo who would of been after Walcott.

my point being my lil boy Aaron is our lucky charm, the only game we lost he was in his granny's for, so will have to make sure he's here next Sunday and for all the other games :)

have her pop out another one and call him Carl :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Between them, Liverpool’s back three (Toure, Skrtel, Sakho) (52) have won just 6 more aerial duels than Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud (46).
    Cant fault the man

I really thought before the game that toure and Sakho would be too strong for him and he would struggle to hold up play but he did a great job.

If we beat Utd next week we are 11 points clear of them! Happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

iMuse wrote: »
    Who cares what the MOTD crew think anyway? They are clueless

The most insightful comment on motd last season was when kompany said that arsenal were the best team they played in the league. That was fairly late in the season as well, iirc. I'd put more stock in his opinion than the others.

Since then, add in Ramsey in super form, a marquee signing, and a professional and pragmatic playing attitude. That has to put us as title contenders in anyone's book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Is it wrong to suggest ozil was disappointing yesterday and has been for a few games now?

Love Santi, such a class little player.

He looked a little subdued yesterday alright, but he's still integrating. I've no worries about him. Even a sub-par Ozil is quality.

and all right minded folks love a bit of santi! He fairly lashed that volley in - Tekkers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    He looked a little subdued yesterday alright, but he's still integrating. I've no worries about him. Even a sub-par Ozil is quality.

Not worried at all, just thinking how good we played with an off form ozil.

Not worried at all, just thinking how good we played with an odd form ozil.

yeah we were dominant. Liverpool's midfield couldn't cope with our passing and movement. How good was Arteta?

man I hope we play that well against United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not worried at all, just thinking how good we played with an off form ozil.

Yeah I think his performances have generally been a bit overstated. I think its fair to see Ramsey and Giroud have had much better seasons. Having said that hes still playing well and Santi is no longer the marked man, and shone yesterday because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

AdamD wrote: »
    Yeah I think his performances have generally been a bit overstated. I think its fair to see Ramsey and Giroud have had much better seasons. Having said that hes still playing well and Santi is no longer the marked man, and shone yesterday because of it.
    He's still adjusting to the frenetic pace of the EPL. He's a very intelligent player though so I've no doubt he will adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

IF we beat utd next week, a big if mind and I would take a draw

But if we beat them that's them done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

IF we beat utd next week, a big if mind and I would take a draw

But if we beat them that's them done

Pretty much. Let us kill the beast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The Utd game looks like bring a weird prospect now.

So you can't really see us NOT controlling midfield the way both teAms are at the moment.

But they've got Rooney and RVP.

Tbh I think it might be up to the Utd mids and wingers. How quickly can they feed the strikeforce when we give the ball away?

Liverpool were really poor at this yesterday and it's where they really could have gotten at us.

gosplan wrote: »
    The Utd game looks like bring a weird prospect now.

So you can't really see us NOT controlling midfield the way both teAms are at the moment.

But they've got Rooney and RVP.

Tbh I think it might be up to the Utd mids and wingers. How quickly can they feed the strikeforce when we give the ball away?

Liverpool were really poor at this yesterday and it's where they really could have gotten at us.

I have a feeling he will play flamini/arteta and move Ramsey to the right

Personally I wouldn't though stick with the same team, maybe bring Walcott in if he is back

We have the momentum were playing well, Ramsey is dominating midfields

I like to see us march into old Trafford and for once go right after them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I think if United play like they did against Fulham we will carve them open at ease. Fulham created enough chances just failed to finish them.

But games against these two are always hard to call form goes out the window usually.

Adams on Sky now talking about Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Anybody else notice how awful gerrard played??? Worst game I've seen him play in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Ah good old Alan Shearer it now gone from we haven't played any decent opposition to now we haven't played one of the big three :rolleyes:.

Next week he will say we have not played a united team managed by fergie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Video clip recorded by me from last nights game :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i4Tew_TNmI

Aaron Ramsey:

Highest no of tackles (46)
    Joint 2nd most assists (4)
    3rd top goalscorer (6)
    2nd highest no of passes (731)

Complete player.

Aaron Ramsey:

3rd top goalscorer (6)

Complete player.

Stop beating the drum we are all singing along :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Next week he will say we have not played a united team managed by fergie

If we beat Utd he will say their aren't title contenders and we have to see against Chelsea and city. They were so dismissive of Arsenal last night. Just a blanket no. No, oh maybe if they buy in January or keep em all fit. Just a straight out no.

No harm being under estimated by the media keeps the pressure off. It does have an impact if clubs and players when people begin to expect , hopefully get to March/April as underdogs

here we go again lol

We'll have to make an offer to Kos this time. He owns Suarez since yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Love this guy.

ibG3aRBh8orYE.gif

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Anybody else notice how awful gerrard played??? Worst game I've seen him play in a long time

I think he spent the game mostly chasing the ball and after 60 mins his legs were gone.

Though he did get forward and nod of a header for Suarez so he still has something to offer.

dvemail wrote: »
    Love this guy.

Per Messisacker!!! :D

He was an absolute rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Aaron Ramsey:

3rd top goalscorer (6)

Complete player.

Not just complete yet.
    He gave the ball away a lot yesterday. :D

Great player though and getting even better :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

True, it wasn't a fantastic Ramsey performance yesterday. Lost possession a bit too much.

However, the goal is a testament to the player he has become and made his performance great because we know it was no fluke.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    True, it wasn't a fantastic Ramsey performance yesterday. Lost possession a bit too much.

However, the goal is a testament to the player he has become and made his performance great because we know it was no fluke.

A testament to his self belief and confidence at the moment is the fact he can have such little impact and yet take a strike like that pretty much out of nothing. Ramsey's whole body language has changed from a player who was coming back with all these insecurities after a career threatening injury to a player whose belief is sky high. The whole aura around the man has changed. Even in interviews the normally shy retiring kid has become a man almost overnight.

still 5 points up, brilliant weekend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Good weekend capped off by Spurs/Everton draw.

5 points clear of everyone is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Now with 5 points up, United away doesn't bother me that much. After that 3 fairly easy fixtures to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

This is getting weird now. After the villa game if someone had said Arsenal would be in the top 4 ten games in I'd probably have taken that. But 5 points clear? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gosplan wrote: »
    Good weekend capped off by Spurs/Everton draw.

5 points clear of everyone is fantastic.

To cap it off I was banking on a scoreless draw there by putting both dawson and coleman in my fantasy team. Unfortunately it never crossed my mind to bet on it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement