Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

Is it just me or does silly season seem to be kicking off a bit earlier than usual this year?

The transfer window isn't open for a while yet and were already being linked with every CF possible. Seen Pato, Suarez, Lorente etc today.

Yeah, it intesifies because we are top of the league.
    I Trust Wenger will make whatever additions he needs/feels are required, for cover alone really.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Outside the fact that it's Spurs we are talking about, but what are people's opinion on the Lloris incident? I think there are similarities with Flamini - albeit he never lost conscience. Should there be a FA directive on this?

Yeah, it’s an interesting one. Firstly it was never a yellow card. But I think if a doctor says a played has to come off he (the player) shouldn’t be allowed overrule him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Arteta did the Flamini role with ease in the Liverpool game.
    Was a joy to behold

Ramsey, nothing more can be said.

As i see it, we have better players in this team then Ozil right now.:cool:

Thing i've noticed about you lads and Ozil though is teams are so scared of him and always want to pick him up, it creates space for your other players, which the likes of Ramsey has exposed to deadly effect.

He's such an intelligent player too he pops up all over the place and drags opposition defenders all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Ozil will also be more effective when Walcott comes back.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Thing i've noticed about you lads and Ozil though is teams are so scared of him and always want to pick him up, it creates space for your other players, which the likes of Ramsey has exposed to deadly effect.

He's such an intelligent player too he pops up all over the place and drags opposition defenders all over the place.

Yes that's very true, the bonus of having a big name player.:cool:
    His last 2 games he hasn't been as good as he can be, but all we need is him in the team to have the effect you describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

KingdomYid wrote: »
    No idea what that is supposed to mean???? A draw at Everton is a good result, no??? the season is but 10 games old. Our goal is top 4 and will be for the season, so far so good even though we have been poor going forward.

It was a joke, in the Arsenal forum

You should relax and take the comment as it was meant. Not my fault ye are sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Lloris should have been forced off regardless of what he wanted. A head injury is no joke. You may be able to run off other injuries, but not a head injury. Take him off rather than risking permanent damage. Better to be safe than sorry.

Unless Liverpool are still close come January, I'll be disappointed if we dont go back in for Suarez. He may be willing to put in a request if we're top and Liverpool are fading away. If both of those happen, we're top in January and Suarez joins, I'll be confidant of picking us as Champions.

Regarding Özil, he is still settling and is often heavily marked. Once he gets used to that, he'll shine. He hasnt been poor by any means, he just hasnt found his groove yet.

Ozil can do no wrong imo.

If the gooners at the game were smart they should have been cheering on Suarez as if he was one of their own.

Chickens hatch count...remember 9 years without a trophy. There are no trophies handed out first week of November unfortunately.

Christ, I was making a joke

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Ozil can do no wrong imo.

If the gooners at the game were smart they should have been cheering on Suarez as if he was one of their own.

Check my sig. I'm gonna make it happen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Christ, I was making a joke

Those Spurs lads seem very sensitive at the moment. Wonder why ?

greendom wrote: »
    Those Spurs lads seem very sensitive at the moment. Wonder why ?

Because boring boring Spurs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Chickens hatch count...remember 9 years without a trophy. There are no trophies handed out first week of November unfortunately.

Remember, 22 years without a major trophy (who gives a sh1t about the league cup afterall?) and 52 years without a league title!

On a side note; whatever happened that "precious" Tottenham fan who trolled Arsenal fans for a few months after the WHL defeat in March only to disappear and never post here again once the season finished after we finished ahead of Tottenham?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The match tomorrow is so important. A win in Germany would do wonders for the weekend - not to mention take some pressure off the group. I'd take a point now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

The match tomorrow is so important. A win in Germany would do wonders for the weekend - not to mention take some pressure off the group. I'd take a point now though.

Its on wednesday.

• Advertisement

When was the last time Spurs even finished ahead of us? 94/95? Almost 20 years ago! We've had FA Cups, Premier Leagues, Champions League every year and the almighty invincibles! They've had a league cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

So if you were told we got a win and a loss this week, which would you choose and why?

I would prefer the points against United as we obviously have a far better chance of winning the league and its number one priority.
    Good chance also that a win at home to Marseilles and a point in Naples will be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Any word on Gibbs or Gnabrys injury? Im reading that Wilshere is out for Dortmund aswell. Will Walcott or Podolski be back for United?We really need some of these players to get back soon. The bench was so weak vs Liverpool.

Its a big ask to get results against Dortmund and United especially with all the injuries. I wouldn't be overreacting If results dont go as some expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

ronjo wrote: »
    So if you were told we got a win and a loss this week, which would you choose and why?

I would prefer the points against United as we obviously have a far better chance of winning the league and its number one priority.
    Good chance also that a win at home to Marseilles and a point in Naples will be enough.

Right now, I think we need to win the Dortmund game more. Lose that and the Napoli game becomes a must win, we have to assume Dortmund and Napoli will beat Marseille, so the only way we can guarantee qualification (without relying on other results going our way) is to get at least 4 points in the Dortmund and Napoli games.

The United game is huge for them, it's an opportunity for them to kick start their season and to deliver a blow to our prospects. They will be right up for this game.

@FearDark, I like that sig, please start posting in the Liverpool forum!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Think I'd be happy with 2 draws if that's allowed. Keeps us in contention in both competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think I'd take the 3 pts against Utd. Just to put a big two fingers up at everyone who thinks we're lightweights. Then I'd go on and thump Napoli & Marseille

greendom wrote: »
    Think I'd be happy with 2 draws if that's allowed. Keeps us in contention in both competitions.

I am sure most people would take two draws so no, its not allowed :D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I think I'd take the 3 pts against Utd. Just to put a big two fingers up at everyone who thinks we're lightweights. Then I'd go on and thump Napoli & Marseille

I wouldn't really mind that.
    However, I do have this scenario on my mind that Napoli goes and win into Dortmund and we will need to win them and still might be left out in goal average. Rather unlikely I know, but it is still a possibility.
    I think we need one point in Dortmund to keep a minimum control on what's happening in the group

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I wouldn't really mind that.
    However, I do have this scenario on my mind that Napoli goes and win into Dortmund and we will need to win them and still might be left out in goal average. Rather unlikely I know, but it is still a possibility.
    I think we need one point in Dortmund to keep a minimum control on what's happening in the group

We are +1 currently on the mini round robin with Napoli and Dortmund so would be very unlucky to lose out under those circumstances.

Win against United, no question. The league is our number one priority. Losing on Wednesday wont put us out, but losing to United could kick start them and send us into a bad run.

We are +1 currently on the mini round robin with Napoli and Dortmund so would be very unlucky to lose out under those circumstances.

True, and most likely Dortmund will win the home game against Napoli, which means we should be grand with a draw at Napoli on the last game.

I was hoping that Marseille would "stop" somebody, but at this stage they look like finishing with zero points.

3 points against UTD for me,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I honesty feel we need to go out of Europe to have a real chance at the league.

Oranage2 wrote: »

Does third place in the group stage get you a Uefa cup spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

3 points against UTD for me,
    Same here. Kick them when they're down and try keep them down. A win against us might give them a boost to kick start their season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

yup unfortunately

And to be honest, I don't want any involvement in the Eurpa League, cause it might be considered doable and we get stuck for the rest of the season.
    I'd rather we qualify from the group, even as second, and if we are out in the knock-outs, so be it.

Raf32 wrote: »
    yup unfortunately

Wouldnt mind a run at that though Thursday night football is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I'd hate to finish third in the group. The Europa League would be a big negative for me.

The team we put out against Chelsea was way to strong. I think the pool guys posted some stat that says we were better off by 5 P:Doints in the corresponding 10 fixtures last season . We need to to go out of Europe completely,

We have struggled a bit after champions league games.

Europa League and play the reserves would be fine by me. Dont care about Europe this season. The further we go, the more likely we are to screw up in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Can't agree with this, with 6 or so genuine first teamers out, we have enough when all fit to complete for the big 2 competitions.

Good results against strong opposition are worth their weight in gold to the team, both mentally and technically, and is what is required to push on to the next level I believe.

I would be delighted with 2 draws against Dortmund and United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

PL TV fixture change for jan

Aston Villa v Arsenal
    Monday 13 January, 8pm (Sky Sports)*
    *Should either or both clubs be involved in an FA Cup Third Round Replay, this match will revert to Sunday 12 January, midday and remain live on Sky Sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

batistuta9 wrote: »
    PL TV fixture change for jan

Aston Villa v Arsenal
    Monday 13 January, 8pm (Sky Sports)*
    *Should either or both clubs be involved in an FA Cup Third Round Replay, this match will revert to Sunday 12 January, midday and remain live on Sky Sports.

payback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I will never ever agree that we should go out of Europe's Elite competition.

It's the reason that makes top 4 so vital to clubs and fans.

We have a strong enough squad to compete on all levels once we have players fit imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I will never ever agree that we should go out of Europe's Elite competition.

It's the reason that makes top 4 so vital to clubs and fans.

We have a strong enough squad to compete on all levels once we have players fit imo.

The top 4 is vital to clubs because of the revenue it generates, I genuinely believe it's vital to fans for the same reason. Once you drop out of the top 4 you'll lose money and find it much harder to attract top players, and you'll drift down the table like Liverpool have done.

Arsenal usually get through the group stages and then maybe another round before being dumped out in the quarter finals without anyone thinking they ever had a real hope of winning it. I completely agree that throwing the competition would be idiotic, but I think I've become a bit jaded with the whole thing. Much more excited about the premier league campaign. For me anyway getting in the top 4 is so important so that Arsenal don't lose any more ground and will hopefully get themselves back into a position where they can compete for the title. The fact that they've qualified for a European competition comes second really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

You think fans only want top 4 because of finances? No I want it for the games like the one on Wednesday were we will face Dortmund or Napoli it's the biggest competition around bigger than the EPL were you get to face the best of the best in world football.

Go into the the Liverpool thread and ask them if they miss the finances or the excitement of playing last years Champions League Runner's up I'm pretty sure I know what answer they will give you.

Champions League is the pinnacle and I for one will always want to see Arsenal in it and that goes for over winning the Carling Cup or F.A Cup if I had to choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You think fans only want top 4 because of finances? No I want it for the games like the one on Wednesday were we will face Dortmund or Napoli it's the biggest competition around bigger than the EPL were you get to face the best of the best in world football.

Go into the the Liverpool thread and ask them if they miss the finances or the excitement of playing last years Champions League Runner's up I'm pretty sure I know what answer they will give you.

Champions League is the pinnacle and I for one will always want to see Arsenal in it and that goes for over winning the Carling Cup or F.A Cup if I had to choose.

Fair enough Arsenal got a reasonably exciting group this year. But can you really get excited for games against the likes of Olympiakos every year. The "best of the best" equates to about 7-8 clubs, a few of which play in England anyway. Nearly everyone else in the competition is filler. The champions league doesn't get going proper until around the quarter finals, which is usually the point Arsenal exit.

For me Arsenal are caught between being a club that should be happy to be there and a club that actually compete for the trophy. Arsenal have been in the champions league for near 20 seasons running, the novelty of just playing in the competition has long since worn off for me. And 2006 aside they've never competed with the big boys in it. I can't be the only one who feels like this, tickets for group stage matches are usually fairly easy to come by compared to league games. I'm aware I'd change my tune as soon as Arsenal failed to qualify but again I'd be more worried about failing to qualify meaning big players leave, nobody replaces them and 5th place turns into 7th or 8th the following year.

Genuinely not trying to have a dig, but I can see why fans of teams like spurs would be excited about qualifying. But given how many years in a row Arsenal have qualified for this thing now they'll have to genuinely compete for the trophy before I really care about it.

For me Arsenal are caught between being a club that should be happy to be there and a club that actually compete for the trophy. Arsenal have been in the champions league for near 20 seasons running, the novelty of just playing in the competition has long since worn off for me. And 2006 aside they've never competed with the big boys in it.

For alot of those years Arsenal were paying the mortgage on a stadium to be fair and i would agree that the invincible team underachieved for a few years but were beginning to get to grips with the competition when they were broke up bit by bit. Now as the revenues are increasing i think Arsenal are moving back to a situation where they can compete with the very best and that is why continuous participation in the competition has been crucial. We could píss and shít domestic cups but if we failed to get in the top 4 we would ultimately fail to obtain the resources to compete with the very best and thus improve as a team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

The team we put out against Chelsea was way to strong. I think the pool guys posted some stat that says we were better off by 5 P:Doints in the corresponding 10 fixtures last season . We need to to go out of Europe completely,

We have struggled a bit after champions league games.

it was 5 points worse after 9 games but now after l'pool it's 3
    i don't give much weight to comparing the two seasons points wise, circumstances aren't the same, etc. & last season when arsenal played swansea, west brom, fulham, QPR you could say their seasons were over or whatever and you could argue that point too, so...

a better argument is arsenal have only played 2 of the top 10, both at home

they've won 4 & drawn 1 after CL games this season, west brom & palace weren't the best performances though

but going out of europe, i can't see it happening, not the way you're thinking of anyway
    at worst arsenal will finish 3rd in the CL group, which means europa league
    the europa league has an extra KO round than the CL, even if arsenal weren't seeded in that round i still think they'd have a very good chance to get through

+ i'd see wenger taking it serious enough if in it & the better the opponent the stronger team he'd name
    the last 32 of the EL would be either side of sunderland & last 16 either side of tottenham - catch 22 you could say as it's in arsenals trickiest park of the season
    from the QF on it's the same weeks in both comps.

the ideal situation i think would be CL last 16 on the 18/19 feb return leg 11/12 mar

2m31b0n.jpg

after man city it's not too bad, if they could come out of that period in a good position in the league & in the CL quarters i think they'd have an excellent shot for both, with them league fixtures you could go all out in the CL - very wishful thinking though :D

r6xwuv.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If we did end up going into the Europa League (which we wont) there is not a hope Wenger would play any of our first team in it and rightfully so.

I would just like to say that I was very drunk when I wrote that.

Of course I want us to go as far a possible in the champion league, I think what I was trying to say was we would have a better chance at the league if we weren't in it.

This might sound delusional but I really do think we have a great chance at the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Is Adrian Durham a serious journalist? I see the headline from his articles in the daily mail all the time and think he's taking the piss. Its garbage so I never click in, but today he was asking which champion Arsenal should loan in January. I thought oh maybe its some decent striker thats kinda off the radar. Might be interesting. Not a chance. Who does he want us to get but Joe Hart on loan. Just like it aint no thing. Ah sure why dont Arsenal loan Joe hart. Wenger could reinvigorate him. He also suggests in the article that Harts bad form is some sort of conspiracy by Pellegrini so he can bring in the keeper from Malaga. Gotta wonder how this stuff gets printed some times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

2e2dxdv.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

jonny666 wrote: »
    Is Adrian Durham a serious journalist? I see the headline from his articles in the daily mail all the time and think he's taking the piss. Its garbage so I never click in, but today he was asking which champion Arsenal should loan in January. I thought oh maybe its some decent striker thats kinda off the radar. Might be interesting. Not a chance. Who does he want us to get but Joe Hart on loan. Just like it aint no thing. Ah sure why dont Arsenal loan Joe hart. Wenger could reinvigorate him. He also suggests in the article that Harts bad form is some sort of conspiracy by Pellegrini so he can bring in the keeper from Malaga. Gotta wonder how this stuff gets printed some times

He writes for the Daily Mail, so my default belief is "No, until proven otherwise". He's not off to a get start.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement