Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Quazzie wrote: »
    Are you saying we were lucky to win?

Arsenal had some luck and defended excellently after the goal. That's not me taking anything away from Arsenal's result if that what is you're thinking, which I have a feeling you are tbh. Luck plays a massive factor in winning a league or tournament (reference BVB v Malaga last year if you wish), luck is something most football fans of opposing teams scoff at for some bizarre reason. I'm not of that type of mindset.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Arsenal had some luck and defended excellently after the goal. That's not me taking anything away from Arsenal's result if that what is you're thinking, which I have a feeling you are tbh. Luck plays a massive factor in winning a league or tournament (reference BVB v Malaga last year if you wish), luck is something most football fans of opposing teams scoff at for some bizarre reason. I'm not of that type of mindset.

We certainly rode our luck at times. There were periods where I was sure Dortmund would score. We also played quite well at times too though. You'd expect that in a game where two good teams come up against each other, usually when theres only a goal in it theres also a lot of luck involved in the reslult. Thats football. I thought we were better in the first game between us and we didn't deserve to loose at all, but again, thats football.

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    haha

The topless guy is by far the funniest, after the goal he's like "ooooh, where's my top..."

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

How Immense was the little Mozart...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Spurs are playing Sheriff tomorrow night in the Europa League.

I just find that hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Just to mention the best part of our defence tonight - Merts prodding leg. What a fcuking weapon we have there.

Sagna was immense as well. Seriously, why are we dicking him about on a contract? Jenkinson is far from ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

One of the parts of our defense is leaving at the end of the season, Hopefully Bac will stay on and sign a new deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

keano_afc wrote: »
    Sagna was immense as well. Seriously, why are we dicking him about on a contract? Jenkinson is far from ready.

Couldn't agree more, in fact the prospect of just having Jenkinson scares the crap out of me. I don't rate him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

This sunday feel likes the old matches between us and united, loved that rivalry but feel its back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

imtdub wrote: »
    How Immense was the little Mozart...

So much energy and zest for a 33 year old - seeing him at his best now. Going to be tough job for Arsene to pick his best team when everyone is fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

What's merts contract situation, bit of wiki time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

greendom wrote: »
    So much energy and zest for a 33 year old - seeing him at his best now. Going to be tough job for Arsene to pick his best team when everyone is fit.

Ah sure in football years he's only 24 :P

Ah sure in football years he's only 24 :P

True he's kept himself fresh waiting for the glory years to return :D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

greendom wrote: »

I just love his turn and run, and not to forget his sliding tackles :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Sheriff Yc ??? Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I know you guys rode your luck a bit but I must say it was still a very impressive performance by Arsenal. Defensively that offside trap was brilliant. Dortmund fatigued themselves a lot more in comparison to Arsenal. I don't know if it was intentional on Wenger's part or player's being lazy but Giroud et al not backtracking was actually in your favour. Dortmund were afraid to press too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

HazDanz wrote: »
    Just to mention the best part of our defence tonight - Merts prodding leg. What a fcuking weapon we have there.

He has a 10 foot leg!

xoKAxU8.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Up in 6 hours for work but i just cant sleep, buzzing here. That win will us great belief I honestly cannot wait for Sunday now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

GIF's make everything look funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Fantastic result tonight lads. Hopefully keep our away form going this weekend.

Just saw this Podolski was at the match tonight sitting in the Arsenal fans section. Chap is a bit of a legend, after his black cab ride around London last year, and some of his recent Twitter posts http://m.101greatgoals.com/blog/respect-arsenals-lukas-podolski-posts-an-instagram-video-with-the-away-fans-at-dortmund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

7pts from those 3 games would be excellent. I say that because I think we're gonna have it up us to get a result at Old Trafford; its a bit of a graveyard for us results wise and the wounded animal being most dangerous adage rings true too. They raise it when they see us and we sometimes flatter to deceive against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

iMuse wrote: »
    One of the parts of our defense is leaving at the end of the season, Hopefully Bac will stay on and sign a new deal.

Who's leaving :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

It has been a long time since I have been able to say I'd be bitterly disappointed if we don't come away from Old Trafford with a win. I have dreaded Man Utd games in the last 5/6 years because more often than not Arsenal teams have pissed their pants at the very sight of United, they have made playing against us look very easy at times.

It's nice to have an Arsenal I can actually believe in now!

Massive game for United, they need to win this, a win for Arsenal would really hurt them, not just in terms of the title race, but the unrest would grow, more and more questions would be asked about Moyes. We can almost do to them what they did to us in August 2011, not beat them 8-2:P, but we can send them into a bit of a meltdown.

A win for them, and the nay sayers will be out in force, the likes of Alan Hansen will be falling over themselves to say "I told you so", but more importantly it would give United a bit of a kick start, can't let that happen, better to kick them when they are down rather than give them a helping hand back up again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

As i was watching the game tonight I could help but think AW had a master plan similar to that of Muhammad Ali vs Foreman in the famous rope-a-dope match. Let Dortmund press and run around and then finally give the nod and raise the pace. It was funny when it kind of happened immediately after the goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Slightly off topic, but AW did comment once on French tv of how Mourinho was using that tactic for inter or porto. It's efficiency play. The team defending deep if done correctly can save more stamina than the attacking team and then in the final twenty minutes of the game they have the greater intensity by a game changing margin. Not saying that was his plan tonight though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

7 players injured but we have no squad

One if the best defences in the league but our defence is dodgy

This team is gonna challenge this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Top of the Premier League and top of our Champions League group.

I didnt expect this after the Villa match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Imagine how amazing it would be to have a reversal of that 8-2 result.

Wont happen, but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Imagine how amazing it would be to have a reversal of that 8-2 result.

Wont happen, but still.

Never going to happen. Any time we have been on a roll it has nearly always been Utd that brought us back down to earth. This will be tough, very tough. We will need another big performance from Arteta/Flamini just like against Liverpool, Rooney/Van Persie are just as dangerous as Suarez/Sturridge. I would be delighted with any win. But a draw would be ok, just as long as we don't lose. A loss here is more than just 3 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭G1032

jester77 wrote: »
    Never going to happen. Any time we have been on a roll it has nearly always been Utd that brought us back down to earth.

An Alex Ferguson Man United..........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

United will try to kick us off the park - when we are better than them its a tactic they resort to.
    Hopefully we'll be prepared for the physical confrontation.
    There's no way they're as good as Dortmund. If we can play at a similar standard to the pool and last night we will win. If we are knackered then we could struggle as united will be up for it. But apart from the strikers and goalie they are not to be feared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Take rooney and van persie out of the united team and they probably wouldnt have a hope of beating arsenal at the moment. Theyre struggling this year because they're an average side without those two. I don't think any united mid would get in the arsenal side. Not much of the defence either.

Rooney and Van Persie would get in to our side, chicarito the squad, nobody else though.
    I'd take Kagawa as a backup for our backups.

jester77 wrote: »
    Never going to happen. Any time we have been on a roll it has nearly always been Utd that brought us back down to earth. This will be tough, very tough. We will need another big performance from Arteta/Flamini just like against Liverpool, Rooney/Van Persie are just as dangerous as Suarez/Sturridge. I would be delighted with any win. But a draw would be ok, just as long as we don't lose. A loss here is more than just 3 points.

A loss would be bad if we react badly to it in following fixtures. Teams do lose, its part of football. The key thing is to put it right in the subsequent fixtures.

The way we play is important too. Last season's performance at Old Trafford was awful. Such an insipid surrendering to Van Persie and co. We were very lucky to get away with a 2 1 loss. Hopefully those days are long gone.

I'm actually more worried about Southampton, I think that'll be a tough game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Rooney and Van Persie would get in to our side, chicarito the squad, nobody else though.
    I'd take Kagawa as a backup for our backups.

De gea too I'd say but that's probably about it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

United are far more dangerous than you're giving them credit for. Any team with Rooney and the other one is going to be a major threat and they've got plenty of others who have ridden us hard down through the years. They may be lacking quality ball players in the centre but they've always been a team built to get the ball wide and forward quickly, which we never like playing against.

This our biggest test of the season so far, even bigger than last night.

That said, I think we should get at least a draw, as long as there are no new injury concerns.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    De gea too I'd say but that's probably about it.

he's a really good keeper, but Sczesney's been great since the villa game. I'm not dropping him for some spanish nancy :)

United are far more dangerous than you're giving them credit for.

perhaps.

I just really don't want us to give them any respect on Sunday though. We've been too soft against them in recent years, some lame performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd take a draw away at United, keeps the momentum going and gives us the international break to get players back.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

perhaps.

I just really don't want us to give them any respect on Sunday though. We've been too soft against them in recent years, some lame performances.
    Well, as long as that doesn't mean complacency, I agree :)

Without Ferguson thus won't have the consistency (and probably a few other things) to win the title this year, but they'll still be well able to produce performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

Don't be getting too cocky just yet ;)

Cocky? How was that cocky? I find it funny tis all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Ii think now is a fairly appropriate time to be cocky regarding Spurs. We're top of the league, have beaten Spurs, just beat second place very comfortably, and are also top of our Champions League group after beating the second best team in Europe last year. Spurs are somewhere beneath us, and playing Sheriff in the Europa League. :D

Ah here, it's rather precious of you to interpret that as being "cocky"!

Not cocky, I for one am thankful to Spurs.
    Thanks for selling Madrid Bale so Madrid could sell us Ozil. Thanks for that.

Thanks to AVB for saying we were on a negative spiral. Since that we've gone 8 months unbeaten away. We clawed your team back and put you back in our shadow. Thanks.

And thanks for giving us a good laugh as you play Sherrif in who-knows-where while we beat both of last years Champions league finalists at their homes, and keep them scoreless.

Negative. Spirals.

Not cocky, I for one am thankful to Spurs.
    Thanks for selling Madrid Bale so Madrid could sell us Ozil. Thanks for that.

Thanks to AVB for saying we were on a negative spiral. Since that we've gone 8 months unbeaten away. We clawed your team back and put you back in our shadow. Thanks.

And thanks for giving us a good laugh as you play Sherrif in who-knows-where while we beat both of last years Champions league finalists at their homes, and keep them scoreless.

Negative. Spirals.

Be fair, we should be grateful to Tottenham for all that advice to mind the gap in the previous two seasons, we took it on board and did an excellent job in managing that gap in both seasons.

Be fair, we should be grateful to Tottenham for all that advice to mind the gap in the previous two seasons, we took it on board and did an excellent job in managing that gap in both seasons.

I am grateful, spurs have done a lot for our club.
    Credit where its due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Hyzepher wrote: »
    At what point do you think the idiots on MOTD will start to say we have a CHANCE of the title. Will a win next weekend do it for them or will they just focus on ManU being out of it rather than our good form

On the Guardian's football weekly podcast, they quipped that Alan Shearer would only say that Arsenal could win the league when they've beaten all the other teams!

(Apologies if we've moved on since then, i've only listened to the podcast)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement