Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

greendom wrote: »
    Rosicky gave absolutely everything in the last 2 matches and he may not have enough in the tank to do it all again on Sunday. I'd replace him with Flamini

Am thinking the same but if he is ready I would put in

Just a mention about big per, I rembered that pool fan gave us non stop grief for signing him

Turning into a brillant defender, player and leader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Just thinking lads. The Giroud fella has some touch for a big lad mother of jaysus the balls just sticks to his feet, and his work ethic at times is out of this world delighted to see him come good he really is a huge asset to this team. And I am not ashamed to say ive aan crush on him :D

When Phil jones and Fellani start there kicking, I want our players to stand up kick back first twenty mins will be intense and dirty meet them head on

Then once they realise we won't be bullied then our midfield can play them off the park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

When Phil jones and Fellani start there kicking, I want our players to stand up kick back first twenty mins will be intense and dirty meet them head on

Then once they realise we won't be bullied then our midfield can play them off the park

We can match anyone these days for kicking off the park!! Arteta and Flamini can be nasty feckers when they want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The role Flamini was made for! He wont be shy about giving as good as he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Jees lads, some of the stuff coming from both sides in here is very funny. I get that the Spurs fan was in here winding ye up and asking for trouble though.

But the one thing that annoys me is Fear Dark's constant use of the term ' mid table team'. Yes we have finished behind ye for years but we are not a mid table club anymore in fairness. I am guessing I will be attacked and abused for posting this.

I can see what you mean by the reference to a "mid-table team" and why that upsets.

But, when you hear the likes of Hansen, Shearer, Giles, Dunphy, Redknapp, Neville, etc. say that Arsenal aren't title challengers yet because they have had an easy run and have yet to meet one of the "big teams", then what do you call spurs and Liverpool? The pundits all seem to agree that they are not "big teams" and you argue that their recent position means that they are not a "mid-table" team, does that mean that they are an in-between team.

I would tend to follow the logic that if you describe spurs and/or Liverpool as "big teams", then you also have to say that Arsenal look like serious title challengers given they have beaten them both. Funny thing is, the Liverpool and spurs supporters that come on here seem to operate off a skewed logic, thinking Arsenal aren't the real deal but that the teams they have beaten are "big teams".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Hopefully Flamini will start alongside Arteta, I'd retain Rosicky as I think he'll be better equipped to handle United's likely gameplan (i.e. kicking lumps out of us) and retain Ozil, Ramsey and Giroud.

I have a feeling Ozil and Ramsey will be singled out for particular attention by United....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Who's the ref ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who's the ref ?

Whoever it is he'll favour United as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Who's the ref ?

Mike Oliver

http://blog.emiratesstadium.info/archives/31048

A high positive bias for Man Utd according to this site and a high negative bias for Arsenal. On the face of it, not a good appointment from our point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If Fellaini kicks Flamini, he'll get his eyes gouged out or something :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It was right down to the wire last year. We were a single goal at the wrong time across about 8-10 slender victories from trading places with them. No CL, no Ozil.

What has emerged from that is great but slagging them for finishing fifth is fairly rediculous considering how well they've done in the last couple of seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I think i'll have a wee bet on a red card on Sunday. Probably be short enough odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Why would you take stick off a Chelsea fan? Successful?..sure it's easy when you can throw billions at the team!

They finished 6th couple of seasons back, what did they do to address this issue? Throw 500 million at it. They are the proverbial plastic club.

Much as I dislike the Spurs (as our local rivals) at least you can say that they run their club like a real football club, unlike a couple of blue Premier League teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Godge wrote: »
    I can see what you mean by the reference to a "mid-table team" and why that upsets.

But, when you hear the likes of Hansen, Shearer, Giles, Dunphy, Redknapp, Neville, etc. say that Arsenal aren't title challengers yet because they have had an easy run and have yet to meet one of the "big teams", then what do you call spurs and Liverpool? The pundits all seem to agree that they are not "big teams" and you argue that their recent position means that they are not a "mid-table" team, does that mean that they are an in-between team.

I would tend to follow the logic that if you describe spurs and/or Liverpool as "big teams", then you also have to say that Arsenal look like serious title challengers given they have beaten them both. Funny thing is, the Liverpool and spurs supporters that come on here seem to operate off a skewed logic, thinking Arsenal aren't the real deal but that the teams they have beaten are "big teams".

Getting a way from all this Spurs nonsense, what's the bet that even if we win on Sunday, Hansen and co. will just come out and say that we have only beaten a club in transition and that until we beat Chelsea or City we cannot be considered title challengers.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Much as I dislike the Spurs (as our local rivals) at least you can say that they run their club like a real football club, unlike a couple of blue Premier League teams.

True. The way they handled the Bale thing was a big lesson for us too - though hopefully we're past selling our best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Gary Neville ‏@GNev2 1h
    @Sol_Noodles: @GNev2 one of those days where you kick lumps out of us?”

We preferred ' Physically disturb and disrupt the rhythm'
    Reply Retweet Favorite More View conversation
    Gary Neville ‏@GNev2 1h
    @yenyoc: @GNev2 You ruined that poor bastard!”

Funny that! I didn't ruin Overmars or Pires! Thought it might be his problem!
    Gary Neville ‏@GNev2 1h
    @Wozzatron: @GNev2 It's tailor made for Phil Jones' presence in midfield! #BOOM”

Absolutely! Only one way for united to play this game!!
    Gary Neville ‏@GNev2 1h
    @Wiltooooooord: @GNev2 you unrepentant thug!! ;)

Haha. You were better at football than us and we had to win so needs must!
    Gary Neville ‏@GNev2 1h
    Can't wait for United v Arsenal Sunday! Arsenal in good form / top of the league/ confident! Is Reyes Playing? Could be one of those days!
    Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

Usually a good pundit but showing no shame here..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

Going back to the Champions League for a sec. Its pretty important to win the group too.
    Group winners almost certain to be

Bayern
    Barca
    Real
    PSG
    Athletico

Then it leaves our group, Uniteds and Chelseas.

We really dont want to face one of those 5 in the next round if possible if we go through.

jester77 wrote: »
    Getting a way from all this Spurs nonsense, what's the bet that even if we win on Sunday, Hansen and co. will just come out and say that we have only beaten a club in transition and that until we beat Chelsea or City we cannot be considered title challengers.

Without a doubt. Spurs, Napoli, Liverpool and now Dortmond have all fallen by our wayside with the goalposts moved every time.

"Ah well, Spurs' new signings were only settling in / Higuain was injured for Napoli / Liverpool had a goal [rightly] disallowed / Dortmond might have had a penalty / United aren't as good as they used to be"
    That'll be the status quo should we get the 3 points come Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Without a doubt. Spurs, Napoli, Liverpool and now Dortmond have all fallen by our wayside with the goalposts moved every time.

"Ah well, Spurs' new signings were only settling in / Higuain was injured for Napoli / Liverpool had a goal [rightly] disallowed / Dortmond might have had a penalty / United aren't as good as they used to be"
    That'll be the status quo should we get the 3 points come Sunday.

What's the reason for their excuses though? Why would they hate arsenal.

In fairness Neville and redknapp were very complimentary to arsenal last night unlike Giles who said we won but didn't show good character during the pressure dortmund put on us and some managers would prefer to loose and see some character in the team.

Couldn't believe he had said it, wish him and dumphy would piss off.

• Advertisement

What's the reason for their excuses though? Why would they hate arsenal.

In fairness Neville and redknapp were very complimentary to arsenal last night unlike Giles who said we won but didn't show good character during the pressure dortmund put on us and some managers would prefer to loose and see some character in the team.

Couldn't believe he had said it, wish him and dumphy would piss off.

It's not an Arsenal thing really, more of a punditry thing. A lot of them make bold statements at the start of the season and then, instead of swallowing their pride and admitting that they may have been incorrect, look for excuses as to why their less than clairvoyant predictions have not come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I have no problems with Nevilles comments. He is telling the truth. They kicked us off the pitch a few times and it worked for them

I dont think it will work this weekend and that is where this team has really matured.

They are not just good footballers now, they are competitors and dare I say it - Winners

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

#Winners

The new Arsenal descriptive

Wenger has sacrificed his own career & personal achievements over the last 8 years for the long term benefit of Arsenal FC. Respect that.

Wenger said a year ago when Rsry was getting a hard time that when he starts scoring, he won't stop.

Awesome manager!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Wenger has sacrificed his own career & personal achievements over the last 8 years for the long term benefit of Arsenal FC. Respect that.

The ultimate beneficiary of Wenger will be the managers who follow him.

Now Fizsman (RIP) was the force behind the move to the emiratates and deserves his share of credit, but Wenger kept us eating at the top table all through that time.

1z50ww1.jpg

Love the man I do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

quality backtracking
    Redknapp: I look at this Arsenal team and I still see Mertesacker as a weakness.
    Ballack: He’s not a weakness.
    Redknapp: No, I don’t mean that in a negative sense.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    quality backtracking

I honestly don't get how he is so under rated, he is one of the best centre backs in the league. Brings a calming effect to our back line that we lacked when Vermaelan was playing alongside Kos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Gringo180 wrote: »
    1z50ww1.jpg

Love the man I do!!

pwtwC7y.jpg

• Advertisement

Gibbs and Wilshere in the England squad. Thankfully they didnt just call up Walcott anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Gibbs had a shaky start the other night but overall he has been unreal for his age. How long has he been a starter? All last season or?

I find it great craic that wilshere isn't starting for england. Wilshere, england's most technically gifted midfielder in yonks hasn't been starting. Surely this is because of injury/lack of fitness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wilshere is still quite young and inconsistent. With everyone fit he won't get in the Arsenal first XI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

He won't start every week but he will be in the majority of games when fit I think. For england he is exactly the type of player they are crying out for. I'll agree with you on the inconsistency but in fairness he has had niggling injury problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Wilshere is still quite young and inconsistent. With everyone fit he won't get in the Arsenal first XI

No right now he wouldn't but I think there will be plenty of games for him aswell, like Podolski and Chamberlain who I don't think will be starting week in week out either.

But with games coming tough and fast players will need to be rested Ramsey,Ozil and Giroud can't play every week.

Wilshere may not be first choice right now, but he will play in 95% of the games when available. Cant get much closer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Wilshere may not be first choice right now, but he will play in 95% of the games when available. Cant get much closer than that.

Say for arguments sake wilshere was fit for sunday, would you play him? If so who gets dropped?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

God the thought of Ramsey and Wilshere in a few years is mind-blowing. Not to mention whatever we bring in over the next year or two

wawaman wrote: »
    Say for arguments sake wilshere was fit for sunday, would you play him? If so who gets dropped?

I wouldnt start him. Arteta and Flamini behind Ozil, Cazorla and if fit, Walcott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I wouldnt start him. Arteta and Flamini behind Ozil, Cazorla and if fit, Walcott.

No Ramsey?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Spoilt for choice in midfield and we still have a few injuries there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd trust the boss to make the call on who is fit enough and who isn't, but not starting Ramsey doesn't seem to be an option for me. He's undroppable at the moment and his fitness levels appear to be superhuman.

No Ramsey?

Oops..... :o

This is why Wenger gets paid more than me :pac:

Usually I'd play only one of Flamini or Arteta with Özil and Ramsey ahead of him. United is one of the only times I'd play the two deeper midfielders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Watching Arsenal last night from behind the couch. Relieved and delighted to get the win. Was well impressed with Merts. Kos and Sagna. Gibbs has lost his fragility and playing very well. Giroud was disappointing, also Cazorla.

Is Flamini fit for Sunday?

What team would you's go with? I would go for

....................................Chesney...................................
    Sagna..............Kos.....................Mert.........................Gibbs

.............................Arteta........Flamini.........................

Ozil................................Ramsey..........................Cazorla

.....................................Giroud..................................

Keep it tight in the first half then up the tempo in the second with Rosicky coming on and adding that bit of pace to the team. Too many times we have gone to OT and conceded stupid early goals and were left chasing the game and playing into the hands of Utds counter attacking game plan. Box clever first half then have a right go in the second :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Watching Arsenal last night from behind the couch. Relieved and delighted to get the win. Was well impressed with Merts. Kos and Sagna. Gibbs has lost his fragility and playing very well. Giroud was disappointing, also Cazorla.
    Thought Giroud couldn't have done much more, he had no support whatsoever in the first half, and got the vital assist when it mattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

It's going to be a big test of character on Sunday. I reckon United will score first, so we'll have to be at our best to win, but a draw will do me fine. A win would be unreal though! United have been taking us to the cleaners fairly regular the past few years, so it'd great to get one over on them and my united supporting friends!

I thought Rosicky, Mert and Sagna were immense last night, as was Ramsey. Giroud had a bad night, particularly the first half where his first touch was very bad and there were times when he should have had a shot, but he dilly-dallied on the ball. To be fair to him though he has had a great season so far and came into the game in the second half. That win last night is huge, as that Dortmund team are very strong, did we deserve the win? No, I don't think we did, but sometimes you have to have a bit of luck and we defended really well, credit to Steve Bould for that. Onwards and upwards!! Can't wait for Sunday now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Thought Giroud couldn't have done much more, he had no support whatsoever in the first half, and got the vital assist when it mattered.

In the first half his touch was very bad and his passing was stray I thought, he did improve in the 2nd half, and he is entitled to an off half/match

I agree. We're playing a game that Giroud is hugely unsuitable for but he's still putting in huge shifts.

Awesome against Liverpool on the weekend. Restricted last night but was picking up the ball 30 yards from goal. You need Henry for that, not Giroud.

Once we started to get him the ball in the right area, he had a neat assist and one cleared off the line.

It is flabbergasting that if Walcott starts on Sunday, Wenger has to drop one of Rambo, Cazorla, Arteta, Flamini, Ozil.

And Wilshire and Rosicky can't really be considered for a starting place.

What a problem!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

From twitter, I lolled

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement