Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can your boss really manage you out?

Options
  • 02-09-2013 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Im in a situation at work where I think my manager is trying to get rid of me and when I researched all the signs it ticks a lot of the boxes but im not willing to go without a fight. Bit of background: In the job nearly 4 years now (retail), never really got along (personality wise) with boss but was a hard worker until his manner just annoyed me so much I gave up on him and now we only communicate once or twice a week via email if even that. He makes no effort with me re: small talk etc and vice versa. Thing is he has a fairly good relationship with some of my co workers although they could hate him for all I know.

Can I legally be pushed out of a job by tactics such as refusing my holidays which he has done the past 3 months, watching me do a job when I made a small error on it just to try and intimidate me (we had an argument over this where I blatantly accused him of trying to single me out at which point he laughed as if it was a silly thing to say. I get the feeling he wants me out without saying it but can I have any recourse against this. We have HR section but in most cases like this they always side with the boss. Can I win this one? Any advice re: workplace rights appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Document everything. It really helps. Once you have documented, then go to HR and document their response. Follow up with email. I had the same about 10 years ago and they paid me off as they had documented nothing. You can make it very difficult for them as well. In the end, there is no point in staying in a job you are not happy about, life is too short. They can manage you out, but better off going with a bit of money in your pocket. Sometimes they are happy to do that. You prob will not get much with only a few years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Answer: Yes you can be managed out
    Question: Do you really want to stay in a job where you are not appreciated.

I had the same situation 10 years ago. I documented everything, including the smallest slights. In the end they had to pay me off as I had a 3 month history of being left out of meetings etc.

When you document a few issues, ask to meet with your boss and put your concerns on front of him. If his answer/follow-up is not sufficient then follow up with HR. Always copy your meetings to them on email(e.g. we met today and I have been told that I will receive training in the areas that my boss thinks that I am deficient.)cc to your home email.

Remember you have rights too, you could be the best employee there, but are getting hassle because your boss doesn't like you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

you say you have given up dealing with him - so honestly you are playing into his hands with regards to managing you out. If you want to avoid being managed out, you need to play the game.
    Managing someone out is not necessarily an unfair or wrong thing to to, by the way, it just means that a manager is using the full range of management tools available within the law to give you the opportunity to either improve your performance or be faced with dismissal. Properly managing someone out can go either way - the employee either improves or leaves. A fair manager should be open minded starting the process and willing to allow the employee to improve.

Now if they aren't doing that, and seem to have made up their mind about you, and are 'picking' on you unfairly or intimidating you, or using underhand tactics such as refusing holidays for no good reason other than to annoy you, then this is no longer 'managing out' as this is not management of anything - it is bullying.

But you need to be careful in how you approach it - if your manager has half a brain, then they surely will have some documentation to justify why they refused your holidays, or why they feel your work needs to be checked by them.

And another thing - please don't take offence OP - but it might be worth taking a bit of time out to honestly appraise your own behaviour. You say that other staff members seem to get on with him. Is there something they do/don't do that helps in that relationship? Is there a valid reason why you can't do the same? All I am saying is that there are some horrible horrible bosses out there who for no reason single some people out and take a dislike to them and make their life difficult, but just as often in my experience when two staff members have a problem with each other (be they management and staff, equal level staff or whatever) there is a pair of them in it and a lot of the problem is just due to passive agressive behaviour with neither one prepared to accept fault or compromise.

I think you need to approach HR and at least get your concerns on the record - if you don't and it escalates further you won't have a lot of chance of having your case heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

...never really got along (personality wise) with boss but was a hard worker until his manner just annoyed me so much I gave up on him

I agree with the last poster - and want to emphasise that iving up on a boss or a staff member is never an option: you either need to maintain a professional relationship, or leave.

Yes sometimes this sucks, especially if you have a personally conflict or a major problem with their values/morals (been there and got the teeshiirt .. a colleague's wife went to school with me - and he started sleeping with another colleague .. not a pleasant workplace!). But it's the only option if you want to stay on the right side of the law.

Advertisement