Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Anyone know if there is a highlights show in tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Bowery and Helinius on for Kozak and KEA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

How was that not a penalty. Helenius just had his shorts pulled down as he lined up to shoot, and basted ball well over as a result. Honestly his shorts were around his knees as a tripping Spurs defender held on!!!

And now 2-0 down from a corner. Rough, rough , rough after missing that foul

Now 2-0 to spurs from a corner

Really does show what a joke of a decision it was. It's funny a feck to see, but while it's a team you're supporting at a key moment, it just makes a joke of the refereeing.

Peno, red card and 1-1 is a lot different to 2-0 down

edit: Just to add, this should be brought up the next time diving is being discussed. If Helenius had gone down, he'd probably have got the peno. He tried to play on despite being blatantly fouled and the ref let it slide. So go down and get the peno, don't get nothing

Albrighton looking lively IMO and really trying to do something unlike the rest who are hoofing to Helenius and hoping. He could play the Weimann role quite well IMO - although maybe without offering the goals Weimann can get.

Baker also looking solid.

That's about it though

3-0 poor keeping, good night.

FA Cup anyone?

And that makes 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Shocking stuff really, whatever about the penalty but so many average players out there. A few of Lamberts signings would want to start showing something. It's like last years team with a few players who so far have added nothing yet.

Early in the season yet I suppose but with that defence Villa are going to have try extra hard everywhere else on the pitch. Midfield was atrocious tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jaysis. Just the 4 for spurs tonight.

Benteke out for about a month.

Oh dear.

Corholio wrote: »
    Benteke out for about a month.

Oh dear.

Bollox, Kozak shows some promise but think he needs someone else to help create the chances unlike Benteke who can create them himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

To be fair, Kozak could have done better the first attempt at his goal.

Even worse news, Lambert says it could be up to 6 weeks out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Id like to see weiman get a shot up front if a month to 6 weeks is the case. He has promised such good things for years but to be fair he has been ok at best out of position. It would be nice to see what he could do as a striker instead of a wide man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

LeBash wrote: »
    Id like to see weiman get a shot up front if a month to 6 weeks is the case. He has promised such good things for years but to be fair he has been ok at best out of position. It would be nice to see what he could do as a striker instead of a wide man
    I wouldn't be opposed to it either but it is still definitely going to be Kozak

Disaster. And a couple of tough fixtures to come aswell -

City (H)
    Hull (A)
    Spurs (H)
    Everton (H) - he is scheduled to be back for this, all going well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Im so dissapointed with Tonev thus far. Expected much more...hopefully it's a case of not settling in yet.

Looks to have serious technical ability but decision making has been terrible.

Okore's injury is such a blow. He looked like a genuine upgrade on our existing options.

Benteke's injury is also tough to take. I wasn't overly optimistic after the Norwich game. Thought we were awful. Westwod was a loss, his ability to put his foot on the ball was missed.

Our front three still look genuinely dangerous so the offers me hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

We're still a poor side. All the talk of improvement this year appears to have been horribly misplaced. We're two players away from becoming a championship side

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

And Ireland scores

astonaidan wrote: »
    And Ireland scores

The sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

The sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then.
    True its still a dogs ass :)
    Its a bit early to start worrying I suppose but the wins at Norwich and Arsenal look like being the exception not the rule this season again.
    We already have two significant injuries and I wonder will Randy be tempted to spend big in January ?
    I think he must be aware by now that relegation is only a goal or less away.

We're still a poor side. All the talk of improvement this year appears to have been horribly misplaced. We're two players away from becoming a championship side

I said similar but I wouldn't be as critical as you. There have been improvements, they're just not big ones, and with margins that narrow you can never feel safe. With that said, how nervous should one be after an away Premiership win?

Well last season we conceded 9 goals in our first 5 games; this season it's only 5. So I suppose that's an improvement.

In fact, if we only concede a goal a game (which is our average so far) we'll have one of the best defences in the league :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Well last season we conceded 9 goals in our first 5 games; this season it's only 5. So I suppose that's an improvement.

In fact, if we only concede a goal a game (which is our average so far) we'll have one of the best defences in the league :cool:

Alas, we are now without Okore :(

Eathrin wrote: »
    Alas, we are now without Okore :(

Our 1st clean sheet in 27 Prem games came without Okore.

On another matter did last night's referee make any sort of statement/apology about Helenius's Pants Prank!

He was probably blinded by the bulge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

rebelomar wrote: »
    Im so dissapointed with Tonev thus far. Expected much more...hopefully it's a case of not settling in yet.

Looks to have serious technical ability but decision making has been terrible.

Long time lurker first time poster...

I really wouldn't worry about Tonev. The bulk of his problems can all be explained by the step up in pace of moving to England. For example when he gave the ball away against Norwich I remember at least two incidents where the pass was a backwards one that he just didn't strike hard enough only to have a thundering Norwich player come in and nick it before it got to it's intended destination. That kind of harrying just doesn't happen in Europe as much. The fact that he's trying to speed up his decision making process also explains the rushed shots and apparent poor decision making if you ask me.

He's a quick, genuinely two footed player and you can see by the way he hit his one shot on target vs Spurs that he possesses unique power in that respect.

I think he needs a screamer to go in, just one. From then on in everyone gets so much more forgiving.

You can see similarities in Helenius vs Spurs also. Lovely little touches and quick feet but he looked exasperated at just how quick things were and how tirelessly he was being harried on the ball.

I always think back to all the comments about Benteke when he first arrived, "if only he could finish" was the resounding opinion everyone had. For the love of god, look how that turned out. Once again it was probably down to trying to impress and rushing things in a much faster paced game.

CSF wrote: »
    I said similar but I wouldn't be as critical as you. There have been improvements, they're just not big ones, and with margins that narrow you can never feel safe. With that said, how nervous should one be after an away Premiership win?

Over the course of the last season our two best players have been Brad Guzan and Christian Benteke by some distance. Now that Benteke will be out it's bound to impact upon us.

Gabby Agbonlahor has looked a lot better with Delph our most improved.

Outside of this I still think we're mediocre. It's unfair to make any firm judgements on our new signings just yet. It's still a little too early.

Our two homes performances have been appalling for at least the first half of each game. A repeat of that trend tomorrow will be costly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

4-0 to Man City today?

Although Silva and Aguero are out so that's good news.

Villa game on TV here in India, delighted.

Just tuning in now and seeing the line up -

Aston Villa: Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Luna, El Ahmadi, Clark, Delph, Sylla, Weimann, Kozak. Subs: Bennett, Helenius, Albrighton, Steer, Bowery, Tonev, Lowton

Is that a 4-4-2 with Clark in midfield, or is Bacuna in mid with Clark/Baker at RB?

Edit: And to answer my own question it looks more a 5-3-2. Very defensive outlook from Lambert, Weimann the only one that can lead a counter there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

yep especially the way the WBs have started, almost a flat back 5, but still City havent had too many real chances yet despite Villa not exactly being attacking and in doing so allowing City a lot of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Villa just inviting City to attack, asking for trouble.

Man City firmly in control so far

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

bugger, very defensive set up, defending all half and now behind right at half time

Yaya scores, inevitable.

We're still shyte I see.

If we continue as we did in the first half this scoreline can only get worse

• Advertisement

Half time match stats of 66% possession to the away team are a bit damning

KEA :)

GOAL!!!!

Ok who had El Ahmadi down to score! Anyone?? Anyone.....

Shhhhh.. He was offside but stay quiet about it

YESSS could not care less that he was well off.

Karim!

CSF wrote: »
    YESSS could not care less that he was well off.

I said Shhhhhh about that!!!:D

• Advertisement

Feck. And another conceded from a corner

Ohhh feck off!!

Another corner another conceded goal. With that many defenders it's criminal

Normal service has been resumed

Dzeko scores, 2 city goals, 2 corners.
    Some things never change.

And another corner causes more chaos. Guzan lucky to hold it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement