Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

1565758596062»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Paully D wrote: »
    I never even knew that he had signed for Villa! I must have missed that one.

He's an extremely versatile player. He can play LB, AM/LW and CM with that order probably being the best order of his ability regarding each of those positions.

It all depends what Villa have signed him to do really. I presume he'll be used as a left winger? In that case he has a very good workrate, quite good at tracking the opposite winger, and uses his pace to good effect. He'll frustrate at times and will rarely take over games. A solid mid-table/bottom half PL player who is capable at that sort of level however won't push you on a whole lot, but for £600,000 you can't expect anything else. He'll probably chip in with 3 or 4 goals and the same amount of assists over the course of the season.

If he can actually play football he's in :pac:

Probably signed for left back. Will be a solid player, which will be an upgrade on most of the left backs that's been there the past 4 or 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Would be happy with the Ki signing. Lambert clearly looking for lads with Premier League experience now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Corholio wrote: »
    If he can actually play football he's in :pac:

Probably signed for left back. Will be a solid player, which will be an upgrade on most of the left backs that's been there the past 4 or 5 years.

It's his best position IMO. Good pace, a surprisingly decent tackler and he gets up and down the field with a lot of attacking intent. His passing could be better and might be a source of frustration for you lads, however, I can't remember many wingers who got the better of him when he played there for Sunderland. For £600,000 you can't go wrong really and if he has been signed as a LB, I think it's a smart piece of business.

That said, I've barely seen him play since 2012 so I don't know how much he has regressed (if at all) since then and I am basing my opinion on what I saw when he was at Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Paully D wrote: »
    It looks like you lads are signing Ki from Swansea. An excellent signing. :(

Is that the lad ye had at Sunderland last season? He looked very good and played the AM role we desperately missed. That'd be a great signing.

Patser wrote: »
    Is that the lad ye had at Sunderland last season? He looked very good and played the AM role we desperately missed. That'd be a great signing.

Lambert to dash our hopes in the morning denying it and then saying we've signed Robbie Savage on a free transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Did we get that German midfielder lad that there was talk of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

If there is a transfer fee involved I can't see it happening
    Kendrick reported that it's a £1.5m fee. Not bad business there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

from BBC
    Aston Villa midfielder Yacouba Sylla has completed his season-long loan move to Kayseri Erciyesspor.

The Turkish top-flight side posted a picture of the 23-year-old on their website, stating: "We have signed Sylla on a one-year loan."

Some places are reporting that the fee for Ki is nearly £6 million. Ain't no way that's true.

Edit: Or maybe it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

?ui=2&ik=593329818d&view=att&th=1473b81dd5793668&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_1473b80f8b87634f&zw&atsh=1

Think this sums us up at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Another reason Ki would be an excellent signing is that he'd make for better centre half cover than Baker too, he had a very comfortable game against Bradford there in league cup final iirc.

This Ki signing might be looking less likely now, Swansea want to sign him to a longer contract

Chris Herd is back, I thought he was finished as a footballer. Hutton, Bent, N'zogbia and Given all playing in the friendly against Mansfield tonight. Okore and Cole were supposedly the stand out players in the first half, Carruthers was meant to be poor enough in central midfield. 1-1 at the moment with Bent scoring assisted by Hutton.

3-1 win in the end with Gardner and Bent scoring in the last few minutes. Richardson played in the second half too. If the bomb squad apply themselves it does help strengthen the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Sup?

Is Vlaar the real deal or was he just riding the crest of a wave at the WC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Sup?

Is Vlaar the real deal or was he just riding the crest of a wave at the WC?

Real deal I have always thought since before he singed for Villa.
    Nobody can do it alone though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I don't know if it's the hangover or the fact that i'm going to the National tonight and UFC tomorrow but I all of a sudden feel very positive about Villa this season.

Okore, N'Zogbia and Benteke back form injury, clean slates being given to the Bomb squad...I just have a feeling.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I don't know if it's the hangover or the fact that i'm going to the National tonight and UFC tomorrow but I all of a sudden feel very positive about Villa this season.

Okore, N'Zogbia and Benteke back form injury, clean slates being given to the Bomb squad...I just have a feeling.:eek:

Your optimism will be extinguished by the second week in September I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

shoutman wrote: »
    Your optimism will be extinguished by the second week in September I reckon.

More than likely extinguished by Monday morning to be honest. 'Tis a nice feeling though so i'm going to run with it while I can.

Might go buy a jersey with 'Bent 9' on it.

Bit of trouble brewing between Lambert and Ian Taylor it seems.

Tayls has supposedly said to friends said that an invitation to join the team on the US tour was withdrawn by senior Villa officials due to criticising the team in a newspaper column.

If true, just more bad PR for the club.

Also Luna and Tonev left out of the tour, so looks like that's the last we have seen of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Tayls has supposedly said to friends said that an invitation to join the team on the US tour was withdrawn by senior Villa officials due to criticising the team in a newspaper column.

Also Luna and Tonev left out of the tour, so looks like that's the last we have seen of them.

I thought Luna was fine out on loan

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Taylor works for the club as a club ambassador, surely he should have more sense than writing for a rag and criticising his employer.

Deserves to be left at home IMO, with everything that's going on they need to try and pick the team up and not have someone that's involved in the club picking it apart publicly, there's enough journos doing that already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

whos the 5 players we have signed?

cole
    senderos
    richardson

whos the other 2?

lambert was dead right to leave taylor home

Taylor is about as Villa as they come, I read the article and to be honest it's not damning or anything like that. Lambert has used his stubbornness as a way to protect himself a lot and it doesn't always come across very well to be honest.

There's also misleading information as to whether he was actually dropped or he just couldn't make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

A 2-0 win against Dallas last night. Wiemann and N'Zogbia scoring

Glancing at the Match thread on VT, dallas didn't seem to be up to much but still a win

Villa [First Half]: Given [c], Hutton, Okore, Stevens, Baker, Herd, Bacuna, Gardner, Weimann, Bent, Grealish.
    Villa [Second Half]: Given [c], Lowton, Senderos, Clark, Bennett, Westwood, El Ahmadi, Delph, N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor, Richardson.

Jaysus that 1st half team is like a flashback to 3 years ago - especially if you think Craig rather than Gary.

I suppose beggars can't be choosers so might as well give what's left of the bomb squad a second chance if only to add depth to the squad.

Jaysus that 1st half team is like a flashback to 3 years ago - especially if you think Craig rather than Gary.

I suppose beggars can't be choosers so might as well give what's left of the bomb squad a second chance if only to add depth to the squad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement