Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal requiriment to put CCTV labels on premises if installing CCTV?

• 02-09-2013 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Folks, can anyone advise if a home CCTV system is installed, is there a legal requirement to put on the front (or public facing side) of house a sticker/label along the lines of "CCTV on this premises" or likewise?

Lets take 2 scenarios...
    1) The CCTV is only at the back of the house and does not record any public places

2) The CCTV records both at the back (private) section of the house and also the front, where a bit of the CCTV records the public footpath in an estate

If it is a legal requirement, can anyone provide a link to the act?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Folks, can anyone advise if a home CCTV system is installed, is there a legal requirement to put on the front (or public facing side) of house a sticker/label along the lines of "CCTV on this premises" or likewise?

Lets take 2 scenarios...
    1) The CCTV is only at the back of the house and does not record any public places

2) The CCTV records both at the back (private) section of the house and also the front, where a bit of the CCTV records the public footpath in an estate

If it is a legal requirement, can anyone provide a link to the act?

Thanks all

Legally afaik no need at all.Currently where the industry is at in general is just PSA guidelines which is just a whole load of paper work.

I imagine though that whenever the technical guidelines come in such things as viewing other people's property will be a no no.
    The only thing currently you might want to bear in mind Is the storage of recordings..stuff like a 31 day limit on normal recordings etc, as per data commissioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

I was looking for this myself only recently and found this link

http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=242

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The useful part:
    Domestic use of CCTV systems.

The processing of personal data kept by an individual and concerned solely with the management of his/her personal, family or household affairs or kept by an individual for recreational purposes is exempt from the provisions of the Acts. This exemption would generally apply to the use of CCTVs in a domestic environment. However, the exemption may not apply if the occupant works from home. [ Where the exemption does apply, a person who objects to the use of a CCTV system - for example, a neighbour who objects to images of her/his property being recorded - may be able to take a civil legal action based on the Constitutional and Common Law right to privacy.]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks for the info, very useful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

kub wrote: »
    The only thing currently you might want to bear in mind Is the storage of recordings..stuff like a 31 day limit on normal recordings etc, as per data commissioner.
    Is it not just set as a reasonable time?
    With six months being acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

11 year old thread...? Info most likely out of date.

The use of CCTV in itself isn't an GDPR issue, the control of data is. For example, if a neighbour had a camera that was positioned in a way that interferred with another persons privacy, that person has a right to request the owner of the cameras to show the data collected wasn't impinging on their liberty. They can argue that it invades their privacy but unless the owner is using the data unlawfully, collecting it for purposes other than security or distributing it in any public way then they can of course find themselves on the wrong side of the law. A person can lodge a complaint with the DPC if they find the data controller is guilty of any of the above.

I have two cameras and a ring doorbell, none of which overlook anyones property but the ones at the front of the house overlook a public road. The purposes of these cameras is for security and the data is stored for a month in my system and automatically deleted thereafter. There is no defined period for keeping data but there must be a justifiable reason if retaining it for extended periods.

I installed cameras as I had an unwanted caller who was making serious threats at my home which went on over a period of years, and a ring doorbell so I didn't have to physically answer the door anymore. I did capture his calls on camera and they were necessary as evidence. I still retain these videos as they may be used in a legal capacity at a future date. However, distributing them publically would be a breach of GDPR and as a data controller it's my responsibility to ensure that data is managed correctly. I'd love to post them on boards for example but that would be a gdpr breach.

All the cameras on my home are signposted so that people are aware there is cctv recording in place and this also provides the public the opportunity to sequester data if they feel it's necessary. The use of cctv is becoming more prominent and it does comes with extra responsibilities but at the same time, makes catching criminals a lot easier. (hence the use of bodycams in Garda trials atm)

you might find this document useful https://www.dataprotection.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/2019-05/CCTV%20guidance%20data%20controllers_0.pdf

They are very affordable now so it makes financial sense to invest in them. In terms of home security it gives people the ability to protect themselves and their property because, well lets face it, the gardai are not exactly dependable when it comes to getting results 'the old fashioned way'. As a preventative measure they are a really good deterent and very effective in catching and convicting more serious criminals and aiding prosecution among the general public.

It would be difficult to put into words how much having cameras on my home radically changed my life and gave me back my sanity but it was the best investment I ever made. It put an end to years of abuse and suffering. (The garda were worse than useless and only compounded the issues through their lack of action/concern)

Advertisement