Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Issue? - Cat losing fur/fur thinning and not eating much

• 02-09-2013 7:05pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys

We are planning to bring our cat to the vet if this problem does get better soon but I was just looking for opinions on this issue. I have looked at the charter and I don't thinking that I'm breaking any rules but if I am Mods are free to lock this.

We have recently noticed that one of our cats (who is about 4 years old) is losing fur, mostly on his belly though I think that it may be thinning in other places too. It is certainly shorter. He is also getting skinnier though maybe he just looks that way because of the fur issue. I have also noticed that despite food being in his bowl he will come to us asking for more. If we do give him more in a separate bowl he will eat a little bit but not much and may even come back to us again.

We have a second cat, the first one's brother, who seems to be totally fine. Thick fur, no problems with food and heavier (though he has always been so). I have done a little googling and one suggestion has been that the recent hot weather could be the problem. Is this likely when his brother has been fine or should I be more worried?

Thanks in advance
    MCR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

regarding the losing of fur, it could be harvest mites.

we have a cat that gets them bad most years, but especially bad this year, possibly due to the weather.

If you check on it's stomach, you may see what looks like orange scabbing, but it's actually colonies of tiny mites.

wouldn't explain the eating issues so that could be another issue, best to take it to the vets to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It is highly unlikely to be anything to do with the weather.

A vet visit is definitely in order, OP. It could be one of any number of conditions. Best to put the googling aside and take the plunge and visit the vet with him. He may need medication if it's an endocrine disorder and regardless of what's causing the signs, he may be feeling unwell.

Advertisement