Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for venue to run stand up comedy night in Athlone?

Options
  • 02-09-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I run stand up comedy night around the country and live half hour from Athlone. What we do is more low key so don't need big room. A friend did try to run a night there a couple of months ago in The Palace Bar, Disco Bar but wasn't best venue.

If anyone knows a bar that has a separate room for this type of thing it would be a great help, as planing on checking it out this weekend in Athlone, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Passionfruit Theater? (Dunno if theres a bar there though, never been in there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Harvey's might be a good spot for a stand-up night. It's located in the centre of town, it's never overly busy and there's a nice space down the back for something like this. It's hosted a few open-mics and karaoke nights over the years so they might be up for it.
    Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Passionfruit Theater? (Dunno if theres a bar there though, never been in there)
    There's no bar in the Passionfruit, although we had no problem bringing in a few cans the last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I get in touch with those, thanks lads. Any other suggestions more then welcomed.

I only have e-mail for passion fruit and it's not going through. There doesn't seem any other contact info for them. Any body know story on hot to contact them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I'd have to agree with SilverScreen, if I was going somewhere to watch comedy, I'd want to go somewhere I could get a drink, even if it's just a coke.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Back room in Harvey's or Upstairs in the Malt House (41's) are about the only two places I can think of that are suitable in town itself unless you want to use Passion Fruit, which is really just a room with seats and a stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ceirseach

I'm almost sure Passionfruit Theatre has closed. Saw it mentioned in the Westmeath Indo a week or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Would upstairs in The Prince suit? It's been a good while since I was in there so I don't know how busy it does be. But from what I can remember the top part towards the front of the building used to host birthday parties etc. Bar there and everything.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Would upstairs in The Prince suit? It's been a good while since I was in there so I don't know how busy it does be. But from what I can remember the top part towards the front of the building used to host birthday parties etc. Bar there and everything.

A friend did a two nights with the prince bar. They put him in the disco bar thing they have next door. It didn't go to well. I know the area upstairs. I'm going around Saturday when off work to the bar mention and see what's what. Thanks for all suggestions any more welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NR04

Let us know where and when this is happening! :)

• Advertisement

Will do. Hope to have something announce by Saturday.

Sadly no Joy in The Malt House. He said there was no function room upstairs and didn't seem nicest person to deal with. The girl in Harvey's was very nice but don't think the room would work. I was in touch with Athlone Little Theatre. But they won't be back open till next year. Thanks for your help, hopefully something will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Shines had an open mic night over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭glen25

Gertie Brownes has a bar/room up the back that is used as an overflow. Nice quiet bar with a good reputation. Could be the spot for it.

Advertisement