Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to Pay UK Vat on a course?

Options
  • 02-09-2013 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am about to sign up for a course in the UK and it only takes 7 weeks...
    However for the 7 week period, the course is £9,878 ex vat and with vat is £11,820, which means that the vat payable is £1,942...

I can of begrudge paying the initial course fee as I am unemployed, but if it means that I will get work from it then bring it on...

Does anyone know if there is any way that i do not have to pay VAT?

What if I asked a friend of mine who is self employed to pay the course fee for me and pay by company cheque, is that allowed or would that completely feck things up for him. ie him having to explain where the cash
    came from etc.....

Not really sure if i should ask him as i dont want to pressure him in to doing this for me... Just an awful lot of money on my side that i don't really have to lose....

Any help is appreciated as I am looking to book this course in the next day or so....

Many thanks in Advance....

(Mods please feel free to move to another segment if i have posted it in the wrong one)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Unless you have a vat number and its active. You will have to pay the VAT. However if you plan on setting up your own company, get a loan and you can write off the loans interest as a tax deductible expense. It will reduce the burden of the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Unless you have a vat number and its active. You will have to pay the VAT. However if you plan on setting up your own company, get a loan and you can write off the loans interest as a tax deductible expense. It will reduce the burden of the course

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

hfallada wrote: »

Cheers for that....
    I have just de-registered for VAT as I had to close my business in January, so don't intend on being self employed again...:(

Do you think that it is possible for my friend to put the cost through his business or would that cause all sorts of trouble for him? ie i would give him the course fee in cash and he can pay lodge it to his account and pay the course fee from his company account or would that get him in trouble with Revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing this thread. Please do not use Boards for VAT evasion schemes

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement