Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel complaint

Options
  • 02-09-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi guys.

Any ideas what action I could take in the following scenario.

I booked online for a hotel deal in Ireland, half board, special rates. On arriving at the hotel, they tell me that because the deal wasn't available on one of the nights that the deal was converted to a different deal which didn't include food. That this is what was mentioned in the confirmation email (there was a different name but it wasn't obvious at all that it was a different deal, and that name wasn't used on the website) and that this is what was paid for. So now I have to pay for breakfast and evening meal. Can't get anywhere with them. I have nowhere else to stay and anyway the amount is non-refundable. I wouldn't have booked if I'd know it was going to be so expensive.

Help???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

Assuming you paid by credit card, lodge a dispute with your credit card company for the entire amount you paid by card, giving them a printout of the email you received and a receipt for the extra amount you paid. Tell the hotel this is the action you are taking and they may back down. If they don't back down or the credit card company don't refund the money, then your next option is the small claims court.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

Lodging a claim with the scc costs €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Name and shame here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Did the confirmation email not break down exactly what you were paying for? I stayed in a hotel last week and the email outlined 3 B&B and 1 Dinner. I agree with lodging a dispute with the credit card company and considering the small claims if you get no joy, but you may face an issue as it is your word against theirs and the confirmation email unfortunately backs up their story and not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think you didn't check the confirmation email at the time so that you could have verified your package. After all that is the reason they send them.

It's not unlike the scenario often disputed where a mis-price online is rejected subsequently.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Depends what you really booked OP.

If you booked the superior package and paid for it, you have grounds for complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Depends what you really booked OP.

If you booked the superior package and paid for it, you have grounds for complaint.

The problem arises when it comes to proving what was booked. The confirmation email does not back up the OPs story, so if they booked over the phone they are going to have a hard time proving that they booked another package I would have thought.

Advertisement