Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadbury Roses new sweet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

There is a mini Toblerone in the tins of Heroes now as well!
    That's good... perhaps. Does it mean they removed one and if so which one?! :eek:

(Too lazy to go Googling.)

Also, how did that happen, as Toblerone isn't by Cadbury? Is it Kraft perhaps? (Edit: yep, it is.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

That's, like, the nicest Revel.

Yeah for sure...I also like the orange ones.... always a bit disappointed to get a Malteser 'cos if I wanted one I'd buy a packet of them. I hate getting a raisin, a toffee is nice enough and the nut one but overall, eating a packet of Revels for me is a coffee and orange treasure hunt (did I dream it or did they recently do away with the coffee ones too?:confused::()

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

That's good... perhaps. Does it mean they removed one and if so which one?! :eek:

Also, how did that happen, as Toblerone isn't by Cadbury? Is it Kraft perhaps? (Edit: yep, it is.)

These are this years selection,

Creme Egg Twisted
    Dairy Milk
    Dairy Milk Caramel
    Eclairs
    Fudge
    Twirl
    Toblerone.

So, it might be Bournville!( Not sure how long it's gone)

Ann22 wrote: »
    Yeah for sure...I also like the orange ones.... always a bit disappointed to get a Malteser 'cos if I wanted one I'd buy a packet of them. I hate getting a raisin, a toffee is nice enough and the nut one but overall, eating a packet of Revels for me is a coffee and orange treasure hunt (did I dream it or did they recently do away with the coffee ones too?:confused::()
    They had a vote to "evict" one flavour several years ago and coffee was chosen. It was replaced with some manky strawberry thing, but I think the coffee one was rightfully reinstated not long after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I was sorely disappointed when Celebrations did away with Topics, I loved them. Even when I was full, I could squeeze one more in.

• Advertisement

These are this years selection,

Creme Egg Twisted
    Dairy Milk
    Dairy Milk Caramel
    Eclairs
    Fudge
    Twirl
    Toblerone.

So, it might be Bournville!( Not sure how long it's gone)
    Yeah, actually, Heroes are going down the drain :(

Long gone are the lovely days of Crunchie, Nuts About Caramel, Fuse, Bournville, and even Dream.

Ann22 wrote: »
    I was sorely disappointed when Celebrations did away with Topics, I loved them. Even when I was full, I could squeeze one more in.
    Noooo - that was always the sh!t one nobody wanted! :D

Also, chocolate isn't filling. There's always more room.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yeah, actually, Heroes are going down the drain :(

Long gone are the lovely days of Crunchie, Nuts About Caramel, Fuse, Bournville, and even Dream.

Totally agree - that new list above is shocking! I actually don't know what tin to but this year now - will prob be celebrations - there was a time when we'd get all 3 - celebrations, heroes and roses but they're gone to pot so they are :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just tried the new 'Coffee Escape' sweet.
    It's not a patch on the old coffee rose sweet.
    This is shaped like a square of caramel bar, and the coffee is a paste / praline and not cream :(
    Coffee creams were awesome!!

whiskeyman wrote: »
    This is shaped like a square of caramel bar, and the coffee is a paste / praline and not cream :(
    Praline? Woot! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Crushing disappointment, I really wanted the old coffee cream one back!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭FionnOh

Yeah, you know Kraft owns Cadbury? (and everything else)
    That'll be why it's there....

Also, praline sounds promising! Hate the sickly 'cream' stuff

FionnOh wrote: »
    Yeah, you know Kraft owns Cadbury? (and everything else)
    That'll be why it's there....

Eh, yeah, that's what I said :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭FionnOh

Eh, yeah, that's what I said :confused:

Ah fair enough, sorry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I dunno is it me but are the tins of quality street & roses in the supermarkets at the moment gone smaller than the ones last Christmas while charging more?

no doubt about it the quality of both roses and quality street have been on a downwards slope since 1980s/early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gonzo wrote: »
    I dunno is it me but are the tins of quality street & roses in the supermarkets at the moment gone smaller than the ones last Christmas while charging more?
    Questions like this come up every year!, you can simply search old threads in bargain alerts which will have previous years prices, and very often quote the weights.

This sums it up I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i am so annoyed though, Dairy milks were the only Roses sweets i liked, now they replaced them with this coffee one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coinflip13

Is it a general consensus that Roses aren't as nice as they were 10 or more years ago? Every year they taste less like I expect chocolate to taste and more like a really sweet lump of lard. Back in the 90s I can remember they had a lovely cocoa-powdery taste of the chocolate. Then again, this seems to have happened to all chocolate and chocolate-flavour breakfast cereals in particular.

So manufacturers have removed all the delicious stuff like e-numbers that made sweets taste incredible, takeaways don't put in delicious msg into food and chocolate has become a shadow of it's former self. Got a box of fruit loops in Tesco and they tasted like cardboard with a feint smell of fruit loops - about 7 years ago I got fruit loops while in the US and they were lovely, frosted, e-number laden gorgeousness, and it 100% wasn't because I was 7 years younger either. Even plain breakfast cereals like shreddies and cheerios used to taste delicious in the 90s but now seem really tasteless!

Also, my instinct tells me that the chocolate nowadays is more fattening or has more sugar than in the 90s, so it's obviously a cost thing where they are bulking the chocolate up with vegetable fat or something and reducing the cocoa mass. Just looking at that 2006 v 08 v 13 picture someone posted - I can remember them tasting better out of that tin than the current one, although I have one at home from like the 90s and although the fact I was a child might be a big factor I can definitely remember them tasting better! It might also just be that chocolate consumption is, or can be, an almost everyday thing now for people whereas back 20 years ago it was more of a treat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqfW19Rg7B0 the roses ad from 0:35 reminds me of when roses tasted better ... they even look better here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

coinflip13 wrote: »
    Got a box of fruit loops in Tesco and they tasted like cardboard with a feint smell of fruit loops - about 7 years ago I got fruit loops while in the US and they were lovely, frosted, e-number laden gorgeousness, and it 100% wasn't because I was 7 years younger either. Even plain breakfast cereals like shreddies and cheerios used to taste delicious in the 90s but now seem really tasteless!

The UK version is "made with natural colours and flavours" using fruit and vegetable extracts, I believe - nothing like the US version at all (agree with it tasting like cardboard - bought a box a few months ago and it's still in my cupboard, one bowl less). If you import the US version, it's the same as it was years ago (I get them from amazon, you can get them with marshmallows too!)

• Advertisement

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i am so annoyed though, Dairy milks were the only Roses sweets i liked, now they replaced them with this coffee one :(

What?! The dariy milk one is gone?! :eek::mad:

leahyl wrote: »
    What?! The dariy milk one is gone?! :eek::mad:

well i and two friends opened three tins none of which had dairy milks all of which had this icky coffee one, :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Roses are dire these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I think half the people saying Roses taste like lumps of lard are talking BS.
    They don't taste of lard, come on now..let's not exaggerate.
    The tin has gotten smaller, I grant you, but the chocolate tastes the same in my opinion.

I'm delighted they got rid of the boring Dairy Milk and replaced it with the Coffee; the coffee is the best one and the people who don't like it have no tastebuds.
    All these people pretending they hate Roses..you'd have some if they were opened in front of you.

fussyonion wrote: »
    All these people pretending they hate Roses..you'd have some if they were opened in front of you.

nope, not me.
    I used to love Roses and all things cadburys back in the day.
    They definately changed the ingredients in the standard Dairy Milk mixture and it's muck compared to what it was.
    Not sure if it's since Kraft took them over, but it's no where near as nice.
    I wouldnt bother with Roses anymore... a box of Celebrations will do the trick nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

nope, not me.
    I used to love Roses and all things cadburys back in the day.
    They definately changed the ingredients in the standard Dairy Milk mixture and it's muck compared to what it was.
    Not sure if it's since Kraft took them over, but it's no where near as nice.
    I wouldnt bother with Roses anymore... a box of Celebrations will do the trick nicely.

I never understand people who buy Celebrations: they're mini versions of bars you can buy any day of the week-that's dull!

I never understand people who buy Celebrations: they're mini versions of bars you can buy any day of the week-that's dull!

Mini bites dont make me feel so fat as unwrapping bar after bar of yummy mars / galaxy choccy! :D

And there's never any sweet left in them...

i am not pretending i hate roses, and no i wouldn't eat them, i hate the taste of orange chocolate, nutty chocolate, mint chocolate and coffee chocolate ( i don't like mints or drink coffee either so it doesn't make a difference to me if its in chocolate form or not, i hate it, )

its not dull, i like teasers (which weren't a bar before), the galaxy is nice when you want something plain and tasty. and the milky way/mars mini's are delicious and the perfect size as the bigger bars can be too sweet and sickly,

i don't eat snickers (nuts) or bounty's (coconut). but my husband loves them, and there is rarely a sweet left in the box after christmas...

roses on the other hand are constantly thrown out, i have thrown out or given away tins with only two types of chocolates eaten....(usually the dairy milks and the caramels)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Roses really have gone to hell. Would pick up a tin of celebrations/heroes over them any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Roses really have gone to hell. Would pick up a tin of celebrations/heroes over them any day.

Have heroes for xmas myself, so much nicer. They have little toblerones in em now! will be getting em again. Feck roses

Advertisement