Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmets - the definitive thread.. ** Mod Note - Please read Opening Post **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

RainyDay wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for another Mass?

I suppose I'd attend if it was Critical. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

tomasrojo wrote: »

(He doesn't seem to have written anything about the Jersey law in the Guardian's Bike Blog.)

Now he has.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2014/jul/30/jersey-compulsory-cycle-helmet-law-emotion-not-evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

And there was me thinking the "jersey law" was something to do with Euro rules concerning choosing classic team jerseys over the current year's version.

Interesting article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Are skate style helmets as good as cycling ones ?

In as much as you could quantify "good" when it comes to these kind of helmets, they probably are just the same. I think the only differences would come down to fashion.

Having said that, they do market a scraper type pot helmet for BMX-er-ists, that's the same as a skate helmet, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

check_six wrote: »
    In as much as you could quantify "good" when it comes to these kind of helmets, they probably are just the same. I think the only differences would come down to fashion.

Having said that, they do market a scraper type pot helmet for BMX-er-ists, that's the same as a skate helmet, right?

Pretty much yeah. I find that normal helmets look ridiculous because I have a big head, so I intend to get a skate helmet which hopefully won't be as bad

Skater-style helmets might have poorer ventilation, but probably not a big issue most of the year for trips that aren't very long.

They seem to be favoured in fashion-style photoshoots with bicycles (though not as much as no helmet at all), probably because they go with non-lycra outfits a little better, and they can have nice decorations, due to fewer ventilation slots.

The Guardian recommended the Bern helmet range for fashion-conscious types.

It's possible but by no means proven that skater-style helmets cause less angular acceleration than bigger helmets (harder shell doesn't grip the road; effective diameter of head smaller than the cheaper end of the soft-shell helmet market).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

They offer less ventilation and will make you sweat more + they would probably exaggerate the effect of rotational injuries over regular helmets as they have more surface area to the rim...

Piss pots are designed for the impacts experienced during high activity, short endurance sports & cover more of the head, with greater coverage and less ventilation as users will experience more falls and more contact with various objects...

Personally, I don't wear a helmet on the road, because:
    1. they are only useful in knocks of up to 12kmph
    2. they can cause rotational injuries even at slow speeds
    3. they can cause swelling injuries even at slow speeds

For mountain biking I wear a helmet because:
    1. I come in contact with tree branches and stuff, the helmet stops them scratching my head and eyes
    2. I fall off my bike allot!
    3. there are more objects that will cut or bang your head - such as rocks, roots, branches, other cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

tomasrojo wrote: »

I like ho the kid in the picture isn't just wearing a helmet, but knee and elbow pads too.
    CYCLE AT YOUR PERIL

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Useless Fecker

Bluefoam wrote: »
    They offer less ventilation and will make you sweat more + they would probably exaggerate the effect of rotational injuries over regular helmets as they have more surface area to the rim...

Piss pots are designed for the impacts experienced during high activity, short endurance sports & cover more of the head, with greater coverage and less ventilation as users will experience more falls and more contact with various objects...

2. they can cause rotational injuries even at slow speeds
    3. they can cause swelling injuries even at slow speeds

For mountain biking I wear a helmet because:
    1. I come in contact with tree branches and stuff, the helmet stops them scratching my head and eyes
    2. I fall off my bike allot!
    3. there are more objects that will cut or bang your head - such as rocks, roots, branches, other cyclists

Could the reasons that you don't ware a helmet on the road not be equally applied to your mountain bike?

• Advertisement

Could the reasons that you don't ware a helmet on the road not be equally applied to your mountain bike?

Sure... But like I said, there are incidentally numerous additional risks on the mountains/in the forests so I accept the additional risk the helmet brings. Also, when an bike crashes it stops... when a motor vehicle hits you it doesn't necessarily stop straight away, hence compounding the risk of rotational injuries...

BTW, while on the road my main concern is getting hit by a car/other motor vehicle (this is what I consider my biggest risk), I don't think a helmet will do me much good against a car...

In the mountains, the risks are much less, but more likely to occur. I accept that I will get occasionally hurt out there, but try to minimise my injuries.

I don't find it acceptable to get any type of injuries on they road and behave in a very different manner...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Bluefoam wrote: »
    my own personal experience was of a helmet (probably!) saving my nose from being broken after i cycled into the back of a taxi at about 25-30kph.
    i don't recommend cycling into the back of a taxi at that speed.

my own personal experience was of a helmet (probably!) saving my nose from being broken after i cycled into the back of a taxi at about 25-30kph.

You're meant to wear it on the top of your head :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

This guy wears a full face helmet, but he has difficulty making eye contact with other road users.

5774133397_58e20a7bb6_z.jpg

Since people occasionally ask about "stylish" helmets:
    If you do decide to don headgear while on your bike, though, and don’t like the look of your traditional polystyrene head protector, a la Tour de France, fear not. There are a number of urban helmets that look a little more flattering with normal clothes, and may have a little more to offer by way of sartorial appeal, than your usual skid lid.
    http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2014/sep/10/cool-helmets-for-bike-rides

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Presumably all traces of high visibility clothing have perished during the ages

"A bike, a bike! My kingdom for a nice carbon roadbike, and maybe some deep section rims!"

Idleater wrote: »
    Presumably all traces of high visibility clothing have perished during the ages

Indeed, participants in the Battle of Bosworth Field (and the Wars of the Roses generally) would have been very hi-vis at the time, and helmeted.

Unfortunately all the protective gear did not prevent over a thousand casualties at the Battle of Bosworth. In fact it could be argued that Richard's royal regalia on the battlefield rather marked him out for special attention.

Looks like a clear case of risk compensation to me: have pointy jewel-studded helmet, will charge recklessly at the enemy.

In Richard's case the helmet did not save the wearer from a helmet-inspired beating.

322504.JPG

• Advertisement

Helmetophilia and cyclophobia on Joe Duffy yesterday, and perhaps again today.

See links on right-hand side of this webpage: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Helmetophilia and cyclophobia on Joe Duffy yesterday, and perhaps again today.

See links on right-hand side of this webpage: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/

I listened to that on teh link, was really surprised that the caller referred to the accident as being caused by a "speed wobble" which is a term you would not expect most callers to be aware of. then the caller mentioned he was a member of reservoir cogs in blessington.

I don't disagree with the sentiment that helmets are a good idea, especially if you are lpanning a quick descent, but absolutely don't for an instant agree with any suggestion they be made a legal requirement.

The Reservoir Cogs* member was fear-mongering about cycling, in my opinion.

* Great name, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

The last time I cycled my bike without a helmet I woke up in Tallaght hospital, concussed, confused, and with the frozen pizza from the shop thawing in my backpack.
    I dont go without these days, but I am totally opposed to any law requiring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

larryone wrote: »
    The last time I cycled my bike without a helmet I woke up in Tallaght hospital, concussed, confused, and with the frozen pizza from the shop thawing in my backpack.
    I dont go without these days, but I am totally opposed to any law requiring them.

I blame the frozen pizza - Sharp, linear thwack to the back of the head.
    Lesson is that if you are going to be followed around by a frozen pizza make sure you have a helmet on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Oldlegs wrote: »

Dominoes effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Any bike shops in Dublin stock Uvex, Kask or Lazer Helmets ??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Lesson is that if you are going to be followed around by a frozen pizza make sure you have a helmet on :)

Reminds me of the story of British Rail borrowing a Chicken Gun, a big compressed air gun used to fire chickens at airplanes to simulate bird strikes, off NASA.

They started using and were shocked at how bad the trains were doing as some of the chickens were going through the windshields, through the cabin, and into the passenger carriage. They asked NASA what was going and why where they doing so bad.

NASA told them to thaw the chickens first before using them :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Just had this brought to my attention. The attention grabbing finding is that helmet wearing appears carry a slightly higher association with being treated for head injury.
    Head Injuries in Bicyclists and Associated Crash Characteristics
    Axel Malczyk, Klaus Bauer, Christian Juhra, Sylvia Schick
    Presented at the 2014 IRCOBI Conference in Berlin, Germany

Abstract Two hospitals in two major German cities documented 543 injured bicyclists arriving at the emergency departments. Head injuries and crash circumstances were of particular interest. The latter information, like type of crash, type of bicycle and estimated cycling speed was mostly self‐reported. Injuries to the head and face were present in 239 bicyclists. 77 % received only AIS 1 injuries consisting of soft tissue injury, cerebral concussion and minor facial fractures. Nearly 10 % sustained AIS 3+ head injuries. Cyclists with head and face injuries tended to be older than the control group without head injuries, were involved more often in collisions with motor‐vehicles and were cycling faster. Single‐vehicle crashes represented more than half of all
    bicycle crashes that resulted in head trauma. Age and type of crash were associated with head injury severity. Helmet rate was 17 % among cyclists without and 18 % among those with head injury. No AIS 3+ head injuries
    were seen in helmet‐users. Analysis of the location of head soft tissue injury and helmet damage indicated that most contacts occur in the frontal and fronto‐temporal region of the head.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    NASA told them to thaw the chickens first before using them :D

Myth, alas.
    The basic story (frozen bird fired by nincompoops) has been around for years, with the details always in flux.
    http://www.snopes.com/science/cannon.asp

Advertisement