Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmets - the definitive thread.. ** Mod Note - Please read Opening Post **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

You can get pepper-based deterrent spray in pet shops. My Lab loves the stuff...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Occam's razor, why not just put it somewhere the dog can't get?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cjt156 wrote: »
    You can get pepper-based deterrent spray in pet shops. My Lab loves the stuff...:rolleyes:

Obviously from Mozambique so, maybe attach some bells to it as well ;)
    Province of Inhambane
    Ministry of Fish and Wildlife
    MOZAMBIQUE

WARNING

Due to the rising frequency of human-lion encounters, the Ministry of Fish and Wildlife, Inhambane Branch, Mozambique is advising hikers, hunters, fisherman and any motor-cyclists that use the out-of-doors in a recreational or work-related function to take extra precautions while in the bush.

We advise outdoorsmen to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any lions that might be close by so you don't take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-of-doors to carry "Pepper Spray" with him or her in case of an encounter with a lion.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh lion activity, and be able to tell the difference between lion cub shít and big lion shít. Lion cub shít is smaller and contains lots of berries and dassie fur. Big lion shít has bells in it, and smells like pepper.

Enjoy your stay in
    MOZAMBIQUE

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Head injuries are quite troublesome in all walks of life, have you considered never taking it off?

In all serious though, a bit of lemon juice. Help kill off any sweaty smells (probably what the dog likes) as well as many dogs find lemons repulsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I don't trust that dog... he look like he's quicker than me on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

cjt156 wrote: »

Can just imagine when said spray gets wet with rain or sweat and runs into the poster's eyes...... Sunscreen wouldn't be a patch on it! :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

buffalo wrote: »
    I read that as 'helmets that you make yourself via DIY should be mandatory'.

It'd make for interesting designs if nothing else...

Well, it's happened before: Anyone remember Julian Dalby?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

CramCycle wrote: »
    Head injuries are quite troublesome in all walks of life, have you considered never taking it off?
    The stats on that are very clear.

Children have been killed by cycling helmets when used for non-cycling activities. Usually by strangulation when the helmet gets caught on playground equipment , bunk bed etc.

DO NOT ALLOW CHILDREN TO WEAR CYCLING HELMETS UNLESS THEY ARE ON THE BIKES.

As driverless cars become more common the risks of being hit by motorists may drop. So we should see a return to helmet use by self selection of higher risk groups like racers and off roaders rather than plodders or casual cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

As driverless cars become more common the risks of being hit by motorists may drop. So we should see a return to helmet use by self selection of higher risk groups like racers and off roaders rather than plodders or casual cyclists.

Depends on infrastructure too. I've come off my bike after hitting a nasty bit of rough cement. In my own driveway, as it happens…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The stats on that are very clear.

Children have been killed by cycling helmets when used for non-cycling activities. Usually by strangulation when the helmet gets caught on playground equipment , bunk bed etc.
    What are the stats on children being strangled by bike helmets as a result of being caught on bunk beds?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

tomasrojo wrote: »
    He pointed out that just one child aged under 12 had been killed riding a bike in France last year.

helen-lovejoy.jpg

https://t.co/EB6RiCa4VK

Haven't had a chance to read it, but Peter Walker is usually a good read. It's an extract from his new book, which is about cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Wear a blonde wig, safer than a cycle helmet on the roads!
    In a parallel experiment Walker also spent some time riding about wearing a long brunette wig, to see whether drivers gave female cyclists more room than men, perhaps because they also unconsciously assumed women are less experienced cyclists. They did, it emerged, even when the “woman” was 6ft tall and, for the drivers who happened to look in their rear-view mirror, surprisingly hairy.

bike-helmet-cyclists-safe-urban-warfare-wheels

I've read it now. It seems an honest attempt to sum up both sides as fairly as possible. Not sure it's 100% accurate, but it's not wildly inaccurate.

Is is the true that "the great majority" of cyclists in the UK wear helmets? It's certainly a very high rate by UK standards, and London seems to be very high (based on cyclists you see on British TV), but I'd assume a "great majority" to be 70+%. Is it that high in the UK as a whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Is is the true that "the great majority" of cyclists in the UK wear helmets? It's certainly a very high rate by UK standards, and London seems to be very high (based on cyclists you see on British TV), but I'd assume a "great majority" to be 70+%. Is it that high in the UK as a whole?

I wondered if maybe there was some ridiculous RSA style safety issue where TV was encouraged to only show cyclists in helmets so as not to create the impression it was safe to go helmet free. In my super scientific survey where I cruised around central London using street view for a couple of minutes 16 out of 21 cyclists were wearing a helmet. So that's around 76%.

I repeated that for Dublin and got 15 out of 23 wearing helmets and that's around 65%. Slightly lower but within the same ballpark. Especially given the error based on my sample size which must be approaching plus or minus as big a number as you like.

I think that might be an interesting area of study for someone. Find two approximately equivalent places and compare helmet usage numbers with fatality numbers somehow taking in to account the number of accidents. If the 'common sense' approach to helmets that they must do some good is right they we should see an inverse correlation between helmet use and number of fatalities per trip or km travelled.

HivemindXX wrote: »
    I wondered if maybe there was some ridiculous RSA style safety issue where TV was encouraged to only show cyclists in helmets so as not to create the impression it was safe to go helmet free.

The BBC had adopted a policy of never showing cyclists not wearing helmets. Someone claimed that they were made to wear one for a radio interview. Not sure that's actually true, but the BBC really has taken bicycle helmets on as a mission, and not just on children's TV, where they're especially assiduous.
    HivemindXX wrote: »
    Slightly lower but within the same ballpark. Especially given the error based on my sample size which must be approaching plus or minus as big a number as you like.

Yes, pretty big confidence interval, I imagine!

Reanimating peppa pig to include bike helmets, a low in childrens TV. Bad enough with all the fat, incompetent, Daddy jokes.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Reanimating peppa pig to include bike helmets, a low in childrens TV. Bad enough with all the fat, incompetent, Daddy jokes.

I think they were primarily reanimating to include seat belts, so they decided to do the helmets while they were at it. They'd obviously had complaints about both.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You'd lose your faith in human intelligence, wouldn't you? I mean, what did they think was going to happen?

"Put on your seatbelt there Junior"
    "No! Peppa Pig doesn't wear one"
    "Ah, you've got me there. Nevermind so"

You'd lose your faith in human intelligence, wouldn't you? I mean, what did they think was going to happen?

"Put on your seatbelt there Junior"
    "No! Peppa Pig doesn't wear one"
    "Ah, you've got me there. Nevermind so"

IIRC that was exactly the complaint the producers cited! A parent whose child flat out refuesed to wear seat belt because Peppa didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

IIRC that was exactly the complaint the producers cited! A parent whose child flat out refuesed to wear seat belt because Peppa didn't.
    That's easily fixed by telling the story of "Peppa goes through the windscreen".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'that's not snorting, that's peppa choking on her own blood'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

"Bad Daddy," says Peppa, "Why didn't you make me wear my seatbelt, that's your job."

Reminds me of a bit on Republic of Telly where 80s Eamon was telling one of the kids to stand up between the seats so he could see the road better.

Someone I know was a child in a large family in 80s, and one of them occasionally travelled in the trunk.

Reminds me of a bit on Republic of Telly where 80s Eamon was telling one of the kids to stand up between the seats so he could see the road better.

Someone I know was a child in a large family in 80s, and one of them occasionally travelled in the trunk.

My cousin and myself were routinely stored in the boot for trips to and from family/work events. I also remember it being common practice if you had a question to undo your seat belt and scoot between the seats so you were closer to the driver.

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    Trouble with helmets is that they're dull. Not like in France…
    TBF I would happily wear that is it were made in my size

Advertisement