Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmets - the definitive thread.. ** Mod Note - Please read Opening Post **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chuchote wrote: »
    Would it be technically possible to have a stickies folder where non-major stickies were corralled?

A discussion for the annual review possibly, but not for here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Tenzor07 wrote: »

So maybe time to start campaigning, mass-cycling and letter-writing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

irish cyclists don't really have such a hot topic issue to rally around though. it's all fighting little fires rather than one big ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

irish cyclists don't really have such a hot topic issue to rally around though. it's all fighting little fires rather than one big ones.

Well… surely yes, if the Gardaí are pushing for mandatory helmets and hi-viz, and there's also a push to force people to cycle on the dreadful and often dangerous cycle lanes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the AGSI passed a motion, which is not the same as the gardai as an official body pushing for the same (i.e. it's not - as far as i am aware - a policy move o'sullivan or others in the garda hierarchy are peddling). also, as it's not the gardai who would actually introduce this law anyway, and several ministers having gone on record over the years saying explicitly it's not something considered desirable, it's not concrete enough to rally around.
    the cycle lanes issue has gained a little bit of steam, and i can imagine that becoming a rallying cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The number of us ending up smeared on the tarmac by HGVs and Campervans of late is certainly a hot topic in my eyes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

the AGSI passed a motion, which is not the same as the gardai as an official body pushing for the same
    The AGSI did the equivalent of a 10 year old boy shouting "look at the cow's nest" and the media fell for it, with the public following them.

A real media would have reported on how ridiculous it is to even contemplate the issue of high-vis while the reputation of the force is at such a low point that no one can believe a word from any Guard, from the newest recruit to the Commissioner.

It's beyond rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic; it's wondering whether the deck chairs need a fresh coat of paint and a change of image via a marketing campaign, all the while floating among corpses.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Chuchote wrote: »
    Would it be technically possible to have a stickies folder where non-major stickies were corralled?
    CramCycle wrote: »
    A discussion for the annual review possibly, but not for here
    It's already there, in the Charter and FAQs sticky....

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

I know there are many pros and cons for the use of helmets while cycling but the guys in this video really experienced the pros...

adjust the video speed to 0.25 and watch from about .29 seconds...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I know there are many pros and cons for the use of helmets while cycling driving but the guy in this video really experienced the pros..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Roadhawk wrote: »
    I know there are many pros and cons for the use of helmets while cycling but the guys in this video really experienced the pros...

adjust the video speed to 0.25 and watch from about .29 seconds...

I know I'm going to sound flippant, but it looks to me like he did a great job of getting his hands and forearms out to absorb the impact and tucked his chin in to roll, but then a big foam thing on his head smacked into the ground.

I have had a similar over the handlebars crash, but - shock horror - without a helmet and it was my arms and upper back that hit the ground, as, like this guy I tucked my chin and rolled through the impact.

Its not flippant, just an anecdote, just like mine. In no way should anyones policies be influenced by it. I have permanent neck problems due to a helmet hooking a roll bar in a crash. If I hadn't been wearing it, my arms/elbows/tuck, would have brought me through the rear window safely but the helmet hooked the frame and now I get to crack my neck every day and live with constant aching. I certainly wouldn't stand on a pulpit and tell people not to wear helmets because of this but I do understand why making them mandatory without valid reasons is a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 decj15

I would have been one of those people that wears a helmet when on my road bike but short commutes or trip to shops would not justify. I came off bike last week and hit footpath whacked head and lots of road rash got home checked helmet and it was smahed inside. If it was my skull that looked like that helmet i would be in bad shape. Wont be cycling again without a helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Your skull wouldn't have looked like that. It's not made of expanded polystyrene.

You're perfectly entitled to wear a helmet all the time cycling if you want to. Indeed, if this gave you such a fright that otherwise you'd give up cycling, it's a good idea.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Your skull wouldn't have looked like that. It's not made of expanded polystyrene.
    citation required.

Beastys is mainly made from Titanium as far as I know, my own seems to be made of porous, light weight wood, according to more learned people than myself.

meant to post this yesterday - section from the irish times weekend section on getting fit/active - this was the bit about cycling.

422550.jpg
    Decent helmets cost from €40 up and are essential

Correction: You'll get one in Aldi or Lidl fairly frequently for €15-€20 - and they are not essential at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

€20? I wish [64cm noggin]

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

and they are not essential at all.
    I would forgive him quicker if he was just another uninformed drone rattling off the same stuff about helmets that he hears everyone else saying.

But he seems to be really into cycling, so it's quite sad to see this crap being perpetuated. Absolutely no excuse for someone like him. And it is a big deal, there was some court case I saw where they were strongly inferring that since a guy was not wearing a helmet he was a totally reckless individual.

https://twitter.com/kiliandoyle
    https://www.irishtimes.com/profile/kilian-doyle-7.1837443

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

rubadub wrote: »
    I would forgive him quicker if he was just another uninformed drone rattling off the same stuff about helmets that he hears everyone else saying.

But he seems to be really into cycling, so it's quite sad to see this crap being perpetuated. Absolutely no excuse for someone like him. And it is a big deal, there was some court case I saw where they were strongly inferring that since a guy was not wearing a helmet he was a totally reckless individual.

yeah there was a case recently linked here where a guys injuries compensation claim was reduced because he wasn't wearing a helmet.

ED E wrote: »
    €20? I wish [64cm noggin]

Even less, in fact - just a tenner;

https://www.aldi.ie/bikemate-adult%27s-bike-helmet/p/094575151852500

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

rubadub wrote: »

Attack the post, not the poster.

If you're getting into cycling you'll quickly find you need one. Joining a club? You'll find that any club spin requires a hard-shell helmet. Want to do a leisure event? You need a helmet! Partake in a race? Definitely.

So yes, for the active sporting cyclist, they quickly become essential.

(Coming from someone who never wears a helmet when he can get away with it, yet has four of them at home.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

yeah there was a case recently linked here where a guys injuries compensation claim was reduced because he wasn't wearing a helmet.

Just to clarify - that was a settlement out of court where the defendant included the part about the helmet and it was agreed to by the plaintiff. As far as I know (open to correction) it was not something that a judge came up with when assessing the division of liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Just to clarify - that was a settlement out of court where the defendant included the part about the helmet and it was agreed to by the plaintiff. As far as I know (open to correction) it was not something that a judge came up with when assessing the division of liability.

i hadn't recalled it that way but assuming this is the one you're referring to (and the one i recalled!) then you';re right in that certainly is the way it reads.

an interesting and related piece below.

https://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/smith-v-finch-jorgensen-v-moore-reviews-cases-involving-cycle-helmets-and-contributory-negligence
    Mr Justice Griffith also commented that cyclists who are not wearing helmets when they suffer head injuries should in principle be held liable for those injuries if it can be shown (on the balance of probabilities) that a helmet would have prevented them.

edit: removed second link because of duplication

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

i hadn't recalled it that way but assuming this is the one you're referring to (and the one i recalled!) then you';re right in that certainly is the way it reads.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. If this ever gets established as a point of law or precedence then it really opens a can of worms legally speaking. A very good comparison would be car colours. Given the fact that black cars are more likely to be involved in collisions, the same principle should attribute a proportion of liability in any crash to the person who chose to buy and drive a black car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. If this ever gets established as a point of law or precedence then it really opens a can of worms legally speaking. A very good comparison would be car colours. Given the fact that black cars are more likely to be involved in collisions, the same principle should attribute a proportion of liability in any crash to the person who chose to buy and drive a black car.

Yes indeed, but the helmet is not going to make it more likely to be in a crash. It's more like saying that if you don't have rear passenger airbags you should be more liable if someone rams into the back of your car, even though there are no rear passengers and you are not at fault for the crash.

check_six wrote: »
    Yes indeed, but the helmet is not going to make it more likely to be in a crash.
    not necessarily? there's as yet questions over whether helmets on cyclists are going to have a psychological effect on their behaviour, or on the behaviour of motorists who may be sharing the same space as them.

My understanding was that wearing a helmet may in fact increase your chances of being in an accident, due to perceived increase in safety leading to people taking marginally more risks.

Great story on here from someone finding their child ramming into the kerb and falling off, on the basis they were now basically invincible thanks to the helmet (an exaggeration of the typical adults response).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭The Davestator

CramCycle wrote: »
    My understanding was that wearing a helmet may in fact increase your chances of being in an accident, due to perceived increase in safety leading to people taking marginally more risks.

Great story on here from someone finding their child ramming into the kerb and falling off, on the basis they were now basically invincible thanks to the helmet (an exaggeration of the typical adults response).

This argument really makes me laugh. (and despair for people who make it) (and not aimed at cram)

It's more common to have a little fall than the be 'hit by a truck' argument.

If i fall off my bike due to hitting a pothole, luas track etc, I'd rather be wearing a helmet than not.

Advertisement