Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmets - the definitive thread.. ** Mod Note - Please read Opening Post **

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Here's the acquired brain injury article if anyone wants to have a gander

Now I am biased as I genuinely am of the view wearing a helmet saved my life, but that was in a racing incident

I do think one valid point raised this morning is that head injuries are often caused by falls rather than collisions. I know I am very protective of my head nowadays if I do fall, as I know that repeated head injuries are a very serious risk, particularly given the scale of prior injuries I have had

Having said all that, I do not believe in any kind of compulsion, except for organised races/events (where insurance may actually be invalidated if helmets are not worn and a head injury occurs). It's remains a matter of personal choice, and I really cannot see the practicality of compulsion particularly when you have the likes of the Dublin bike scheme and want to encourage more to stay fit and healthy while reducing road congestion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Beasty wrote:
    I do think one valid point raised this morning is that head injuries are often caused by falls rather than collisions. I know I am very protective of my head nowadays if I do fall, as I know that repeated head injuries are a very serious risk, particularly given the scale of prior injuries I have had
    Didn't hear it, but that at least is what cycling helmets are designed for. My bugbear is the commentary regarding their usefulness if you get hit by a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ABI have been doing this sort of thing for years. They have no interest in a nuanced debate.

As for the notion that thousands are risking brain injury, one thing we do know is that increasing the numbers of cyclists wearing helmets in a jurisdiction never seems to drive down the serious head injury rate. The total numbers of head injuries usually decline, but it matches or even falls short of the reduction in numbers cycling after compulsion, or a hard-core promotional campaign.

They may well make a difference at the individual level, but they must be "causing" roughly as many injuries as they're preventing.

It's a bit of a moot point anyway, as even helmet compulsionists now seem to concede that cycling is very good for you. It's completely perverse to punish people for doing something that's good for them and good for society(*), just because they won't do it your way.

EDIT(*): and carries about the same risk of head injury as walking. The Dublin Bike scheme provides pretty good evidence that cycling, in an urban context at least, doesn't carry a huge amount of risk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    ABI have been doing this sort of thing for years. They have no interest in a nuanced debate.

As a side point, I have to say I just think it is a cheap, no thinking publicity stunt from them. It doesn't require proof as most people think it sounds plausible enough (and it does), doesn't require the majority of people who listen to change their own habits (as presumably the non helmet wearing listeners are a very small subset of the general population). Those who disagree are shot down as being unsafe. They have a doctor and much like my mother in law, having any sort of Dr. be it medical or PhD means you are the voice to be listened to in the room, regardless of your actual knowledge in the area, as the spokesperson.

Most of the counter points are simply shot down without merit because they anecdotes trump analysis in emotive arguments.

The doctor wants something positive to say at the next AGM, this provides that, she is active, committed and out there and very few people would question here because most people have made up their minds (or decided their minds are too much at risk from cycling).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lets hope some party doesn't get the bright idea to try bring in helmets as law, it'll spell the end of Dublin Bikes and Bleeper bikes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wasn't it FF who raised the idea of compulsory hi-vis for pedestrians?

Yep, although someone pointed it out at the time that it may have been an attempt to delay or stop the overall legislation. Not sure how true that was.

Car hit me from the left (driver not looking) I went over the bonnet and fell down on my left side so helmet saved my head. Bell helmet now in the bin. Have it a while so probably should have replaced it earlier (no hits before this)
    Reading up given me more knowledge

ouch. That for me sums up nicely why I wear a helmet. You can take all the precautions in the world, but unfortunately, the roads are full of idiots who are determined to kill you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The legislation in question is the Road Traffic Amendment Bill 2017. The main purpose of the Bill was to amend the Road Traffic Act to toughen drink driving penalities by providing for "for automatic disqualification from driving in the case of a person paying a fixed charge in respect of a drink driving offence".

Deputy Troy wanted to amend the bill to make it mandatory to wear high visibility or reflective gear by people who walked on unlit rural roads.

I'm sure Deputy Troy in no way intended to delay or disrupt the passing of the bill and that the safety of pedestrians was his sole motivation for introducing the amendment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭flatty

Ok was in an accident and the Bell helmet that served me well is now out in the bin with a crack

I was looking for a helmet with a light on it and saw the below in Lidl

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=11192

Are there others out there similar that I can consider? Its just for a 30 minute commute there and back to work so just using for that so take it all the safety regulations are ok with this

Any other suggestions as going to bike shop today
    They are all just polystyrene, but they seem to make wearers better people, the more expensive the even betterer the wearer. I was asked by another cyclist recently in a hectoring tone why I wasn't wearing one. Strange behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

wat

So if you walk outside the fookin door, you've to don a flamin' hi-vis vest???

wat

So if you walk outside the fookin door, you've to don a flamin' hi-vis vest???

I can see the queue at Copper Faced jacks.

All in their high heels, micro skirts, boob tubes and hi viz jackets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

flatty wrote: »
    They are all just polystyrene, but they seem to make wearers better people, the more expensive the even betterer the wearer. I was asked by another cyclist recently in a hectoring tone why I wasn't wearing one. Strange behaviour.

Picked up helmet in Lidl up and seems fine I don't care what I look like in it

Order a Mips helmet from Wiggle and got £10 off so happy enough with that, cheaper if pay in Stg and using Parcel Motel

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-foray-road-helmet-mips/

CramCycle wrote: »
    (as presumably the non helmet wearing listeners are a very small subset of the general population)

Do you mean that most of the listeners aren't cyclists and even those who are probably wear helmets?

I can't listen to these "debates", as they're just too depressing, but there still are plenty of helmet-less cyclists around, though it depends where you are and what time of day it is. I guess ABI think there are still quite a few, as that's what they keep saying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Do you mean that most of the listeners aren't cyclists and even those who are probably wear helmets?
    well, in a facile sense, the number of listeners who are actually cycling when listening could be counted in the single figures.
    though they'll probably have a segment soon to browbeat that segment of the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

This article is moderately interesting as it talks about a new approach to MIPS: https://www.velonews.com/2018/08/bikes-and-tech/finding-a-solution-to-the-bike-helmet-paradox_474141

Note that it is sponsored content though, so they get to say what they like to a certain extent, for example:
    It’s an accepted fact that wearing a helmet can greatly reduce the chance of suffering a traumatic brain injury if you happen to crash or be involved in an accident.

...which is about as valid as saying "It's an accepted fact that having access to a life jacket on a plan can greatly reduce the chance of drowning if the plane crashes", the many qualifications being implied rather than stated.

It's quite a distance from that statement, even with the implied qualifiers, and the BMJ editorial of a few years back:
    In any case, the current uncertainty about any benefit from helmet wearing or promotion is unlikely to be substantially reduced by further research. Equally, we can be certain that helmets will continue to be debated, and at length. The enduring popularity of helmets as a proposed major intervention for increased road safety may therefore lie not with their direct benefits—which seem too modest to capture compared with other strategies—but more with the cultural, psychological, and political aspects of popular debate around risk.
    https://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f3817.full?ijkey=I5vHBog6FhaaLzX&keytype=ref

It's pretty good summing up of the stasis this argument seems to have wound up in.

I was being a bit facetious but their combination of the phrase "an accepted fact" with basically a very wishy washy phrase that amounts to "might help protect against injury" grates.

I don't doubt that in certain types of falls/collisions a helmet can help, but their phrasing very effectively plays down the uncertainty. They do their marketing well.

doozerie wrote: »
    ...which is about as valid as saying "It's an accepted fact that having access to a life jacket on a plan can greatly reduce the chance of drowning if the plane crashes", the many qualifications being implied rather than stated.

It is accepted fact, is a scientific way of saying I can't find a reference but I am pretty sure, even though there is probably no proof whatsoever.

• Advertisement

It is accepted fact, is a scientific way of saying I can't find a reference but I am pretty sure, even though there is probably no proof whatsoever.

So "it is an accepted fact that..." is the scientific equivalent of "I feel it in my waters that..." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

So "it is an accepted fact that..." is the scientific equivalent of "I feel it in my waters that..." :)

Or the "It was decided ...." at a meeting no one with any potential contrary opinion was invited to.

That's pretty accurate!

I seem to remember journals telling people to stop writing "Additional work is required"

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

A kid in Sacramento was hit by a police car after he was stopped for having no lights on his bike and then ran. Obviously the kid was black.
    This is one reason people push back against so-called “safety laws” like helmet laws—they can become an excuse for cops to pull over people that just want to be able to move about their neighborhoods with the same freedom expected by people who are not subject to profiling.
    StreetsBlog Cal: Sacramento Police Video: This Was No Safety Stop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭flatty

This article is moderately interesting as it talks about a new approach to MIPS: https://www.velonews.com/2018/08/bikes-and-tech/finding-a-solution-to-the-bike-helmet-paradox_474141

Note that it is sponsored content though, so they get to say what they like to a certain extent, for example:
    It’s an accepted fact that wearing a helmet can greatly reduce the chance of suffering a traumatic brain injury if you happen to crash or be involved in an accident.

It's not an accepted fact either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

A kid in Sacramento was hit by a police car after he was stopped for having no lights on his bike and then ran. Obviously the kid was black.

StreetsBlog Cal: Sacramento Police Video: This Was No Safety Stop

I read through the article. The kid was white.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Eamonnator wrote: »

Oops. I read it a few days ago! In fact, I saw another video of the kid today. I don't know how I made that mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

Eamonnator wrote: »

It's an accepted fact that the kid was black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The legislation in question is the Road Traffic Amendment Bill 2017. The main purpose of the Bill was to amend the Road Traffic Act to toughen drink driving penalities by providing for "for automatic disqualification from driving in the case of a person paying a fixed charge in respect of a drink driving offence".

Deputy Troy wanted to amend the bill to make it mandatory to wear high visibility or reflective gear by people who walked on unlit rural roads.

I'm sure Deputy Troy in no way intended to delay or disrupt the passing of the bill and that the safety of pedestrians was his sole motivation for introducing the amendment.

Presumably, this must have been a different Deputy Robert Troy given the fairly cavalier attitude to road safety demonstrated.
    Melodeon wrote: »
    There's going to be a cycling helmet item on the Pat Kenny show on Newstalk today.
    The promo doesn't sound promising, and Jonathon Healy is hosting...

Jonathon took serious offence at being challenged on Twitter by Cian Ginty and many others about his 'mandatory helmets' nonsense.

Advertisement