Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmets - the definitive thread.. ** Mod Note - Please read Opening Post **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The most extraodinary thing about that article is the preface the editor felt they needed to add to it:
    Before you dive into Peter Flax’s piece below, a quick note. First and foremost, the following column is Peter’s opinion. It does not reflect the opinion of CyclingTips.

Most of us at CyclingTips wear helmets most of the time. I wear one whenever I kit up for a ride. They’re pretty comfortable these days, and I don’t see any reason not too, even after reading the story below. For some of our readers, helmets are mandated by law, and of course, we don’t want anyone to break the law.

To be frank, I wasn’t sure if it was a perspective we wanted on the site.

You'd swear he'd written an article advocating racial segregation or cannibalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

While I wouldn't agree with making cars more dangerous I do take the underlying point about becoming more removed from the environment, and the rise corresponding with 'always being connected'. Ties in nicely with the ridiculousness in the highvis thread at the minute 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ian Walker finally got a chance to address Jake Olivier's "debunking" of his close-pass study:
    https://twitter.com/ianwalker/status/1062670732432433152

Some stuff here as well:
    https://t.co/VeZ6JzCmJZ

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

GCN back on the case. 1:30 in - are helmets distracting from the real debate.

1:30 in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Certain posters here might hope that this is a bonfire��

2hp4ow1.jpg

Happy Christmas all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

If you don't wear a helmet cycling you're an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

How is that so?

Most cycling deaths are caused by crush injuries, such as being run over by a truck at a junction or being hit at high speed by a car. Injuries like these are typically to the torso.

A helmet is useless in situations like those.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Presumably you feel the same way about crash helmets for motorists and passengers, given that far more head injuries occur in cars than on bikes.

Presumably you feel the same way about crash helmets for motorists and passengers, given that far more head injuries occur in cars than on bikes.

And, 4 times as many people die annually from head injuries sustained by falling down their stairs than do form cycle injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Well done, a really well thought out post, relevant , cogent and to the point.
    You cut to the heart of the matter in one simple sentence.

• Advertisement

conkennedy wrote: »
    And, 4 times as many people die annually from head injuries sustained by falling down their stairs than do form cycle injuries.
    Thanks for your opinion. I'll await your facts that support this.
    This is such a deflection that it's almost amusing. We put massive amounts of safety equipment into cars to prevent injury. You can engage in any level of whataboutery you want, but it doesn't change the simple facts.
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    Well done, a really well thought out post, relevant , cogent and to the point.
    You cut to the heart of the matter in one simple sentence.
    Thanks! I thought so too.

This is such a deflection that it's almost amusing. We put massive amounts of safety equipment into cars to prevent injury. You can engage in any level of whataboutery you want, but it doesn't change the simple facts.

Thanks! I thought so too.

You should probably cast an eye over the 130+ pages over your shoulder.

On the falling down stairs numbers, I'm not going to devote much time to it, but UK statistics appear at the top of a search on DuckDuckGo, and they have 1000 people dying falling down stairs in the UK in 2000
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/790609.stm

While a fairly typical number dying cycling on the roads in the UK these days is about 100:
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/02/misleading-uk-cycling-casualty-statistics

Given that this is 10:1 rather than 4:1, I'm willing to conclude that, if I could be bothered expending more effort to get totally relevant statistics, the 4:1 statistic for Ireland probably isn't an exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I had l low speed crash on my bike and tapped my helmet off the road. Totally glad it was my helmet and not my head that took the hit. I'll always wear one. I don't see the reasoning not to when cycling

tomasrojo wrote: »
    On the falling down stairs numbers, I'm not going to devote much time to it, but UK statistics appear at the top of a search on DuckDuckGo, and they have 1000 people dying falling down stairs in the UK in 2000
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/790609.stm

While a fairly typical number dying cycling on the roads in the UK these days is about 100:
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/apr/02/misleading-uk-cycling-casualty-statistics

Given that this is 10:1 rather than 4:1, I'm willing to conclude that, if I could be bothered expending more effort to get totally relevant statistics, the 4:1 statistic for Ireland probably isn't an exaggeration.
    Nonsense of the highest order in addition to just extreme deflection. You don't want to wear a helmet, so you point to other areas where people get injured and killed. Serious injury is often a worse life than death.

Your second link is to an opinion - that's not factual just in case you were wondering - and is the same idiotic whatabouttery that this thread is full of.

I get you'd rather look cool than wear a helmet, but spoiler alert... you didn't look cool in the first place in your silly outfit and bike.

And I await your facts on your "Idiot" opinion.

I was about to post something, but tomasrojo beat me to it.

Also, remind me again how a helmet would protect someone from a crush injury... I await you're empirical evidence

Nonsense of the highest order in addition to just extreme deflection. You don't want to wear a helmet, so you point to other areas where people get injured and killed. Serious injury is often a worse life than death.

Your second link is to an opinion - that's not factual just in case you were wondering - and is the same idiotic whatabouttery that this thread is full of.

Why don't you read some of the thread instead of barging in here shouting opinions at people who are kind enough to look up the statistics that you challenged them to provide?

The second link has the fact about 100 cyclist deaths in one calendar year in the UK. I didn't ask you to agree with the sentiment. I was providing a number, as you asked, your majesty.

I get you'd rather look cool than wear a helmet, but spoiler alert... you didn't look cool in the first place in your silly outfit and bike.

I wear normal clothes. Because cycling is a reasonably safe activity, and moderate exertion doesn't require special clothes.

And I await your facts on your "Idiot" opinion.

I was about to post something, but tomasrojo beat me to it.

Also, remind me again how a helmet would protect someone from a crush injury... I await you're empirical evidence
    Stick and stones there mate. Sticks and stones.

Firstly, I'm probably better educated and definitely better paid than you.
    Second, no facts were posted - an opinion article was linked to.
    Third, why are so many cyclists falling down the stairs? Or is it that all cyclists are old? I'm confused about the point of this deflection.

I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

• Advertisement

Why don't you read some of the thread instead of barging in here shouting opinions at people who are kind enough to look up the statistics that you challenged them to provide?

The second link has the fact about 100 cyclist deaths in one calendar year in the UK. I didn't ask you to agree with the sentiment. I was providing a number, as you asked, your majesty.

My problem isn't the number of people falling down the stairs or getting injured playing darts or whatever the **** point you THINK you're making.

My issue is that it is totally irrelevant to the point at hand, which is that cyclists should wear helmets. Pointing out that people get injured in other areas is totally irrelevant.

I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
    Apartments are where poor people live with other people that they find on Craigslist or whatever?

This is very poor trolling. You should perhaps use some of your fabulous salary to pay someone with a prose style and some wit to do it for you.

This is very poor trolling. You should perhaps use some of your fabulous salary to pay someone with a prose style and some wit to do it for you.
    I'm not seeing a lot from you here either. Maybe give me something to work with? Too many head injuries from cycling methinks.

Stick and stones there mate. Sticks and stones.

Yes, you were the ones throwing them

Really?... hmmm... Unlikely both occasions, perhaps? Who knows? Perhaps you'll tell me that your daddy is better than my daddy? Either way, what's that go to do with the price of butter?

Second, no facts were posted - an opinion article was linked to.

No, you stated an opinion and pretended it was fact.

You said:

Third, why are so many cyclists falling down the stairs? Or is it that all cyclists are old? I'm confused about the point of this deflection.

No one said anything about cyclists falling down stairs. Stop obfuscating. That last comment negates your second point about education

I'm not seeing a lot from you here either. Maybe give me something to work with? Too many head injuries from cycling methinks.

Touché. I'm out. Can't compete with this.

Pointing out that people get injured in other areas is totally irrelevant.

No it's not, it's about a frequency and likely hood of injury. It's a comparrison.

Yes, you were the ones throwing them
    Put on a helmet then?
    Really?... hmmm... Unlikely both occasions, perhaps? Who knows? Perhaps you'll tell me that your daddy is better than my daddy? Either way, what's that go to do with the price of butter?
    *raises hand*
    I think I know...
    pretendet it was fact.
    No it's not, it's about a frequency and likely hood of injury. It's a comparrison.

You said:
    That is what I said. Then someone else attempted to refute it by saying people fall down the stairs. I don't see the correlation either!
    No one said anything about cyclists falling down stairs. Stop obfuscating. That last comment negates your second point about education
    No, someone seems to be suggesting that cyclists shouldn't wear helmets because people get injured doing other things. It's ridiculous.

Touché. I'm out. Can't compete with this.
    Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I'll come visit.

• Advertisement

Put on a helmet then?

Is your aim that good?

Advertisement