Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmets - the definitive thread.. ** Mod Note - Please read Opening Post **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I still play and its a risk, so doing an hour at 25kph on the bike is just a bit more risk.
    do you mean that cycling is riskier than rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

do you mean that cycling is riskier than rugby?

I don't know for sure but I would say cycling is a lot less. Depends on your style and weekly mileage. I mean its just risk added to all the other things I do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah, i wasn't sure what you mean by 'more risk'. understood now.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

I don't know for sure but I would say cycling is a lot less. Depends on your style and weekly mileage. I mean its just risk added to all the other things I do.

Looking at rugby from the outside in I would have imagined it would be far riskier than 1 hour, 23kmh cycle.

a good friend of mine, in his last four seasons of playing rugby, finished one of them. the list of injuries sustained in those four seasons were:
    broken leg
    broken jaw
    cruciate ligament
    dislocated shoulder
    broken arm

the last three all happened with a single tackle.

• Advertisement

Yeah its ****ed up really. Makes me increasingly anxious but still love to do it. Thats why I got so pissed off at some guy roaring at me in the opposite direction to use a helmet. Why the **** does he care what other people do?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah did a brief stint of rugby before. Loved it but I had to mournfully give it up as it was just so crazy dangerous. If an individual "adventure sport" had a quarter the level of risk, it would be banned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

To put in an anecdote, I ruined my shoulder for a long time by chasing after a balloon. Everything has risk. Walking outside the front door has a risk, as does not walking throgh the front door. I f*cking hate that Balloon though. Perception and experience also affect how we interact with the world. To this day you couldn't pay me money to chase after a balloon. I hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    To put in an anecdote, I ruined my shoulder for a long time by chasing after a balloon. Everything has risk. Walking outside the front door has a risk, as does not walking throgh the front door. I f*cking hate that Balloon though. Perception and experience also affect how we interact with the world. To this day you couldn't pay me money to chase after a balloon. I hate them

You take a chance getting up every morning, crossing the street or sticking your face in a fan.

Obviously some some people push that logic to idiotic levels but its a very personal thing the risk you understand and are willing to accept. Quantitative research, your own experience and personal bias are all there in the mix but there are no hard answers. We shouldn't judge others based on our views or risk if they're not directly harming others. LIke the guys that do TT racing are beyond insane in my view and regularly die. I think its awful but thats what they want to do. General motorcycling rules for helmets fair enough as a wider population need to be protected from themselves given the known risk.

• Advertisement

Ryan rules out a law:
    https://www.businesspost.ie/ireland/ryan-rules-out-making-cycling-helmets-mandatory-8b1d880d?utm_campaign=article&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=web

This suggests some other people in the coalition want one, so might be trouble in a later cabinet arrangement, I suppose:
    https://twitter.com/obraonain/status/1282235752265416704

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

CramCycle wrote: »

I hate balloons with clowns at the end of them.

FG councillor, and former Lord Mayor of Dublin, agrees with Ryan:
    https://twitter.com/naoiseomuiri

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As usual, the main proponents of helmet use misunderstand that they're designed for falling off, and offer limited (if any) protection in the event of getting hit by someone driving a vehicle due to the differences in the impacts of collision. Even within cycling, you can see and feel the differences between a downhill mtb helmet to a road helmet.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    FG councillor, and former Lord Mayor of Dublin, agrees with Ryan:
    https://twitter.com/naoiseomuiri

Usual BS anecdote in the comments
    My daughter hit edge of kerb coming home from work. In daylight. Her head bounced off the pavement, helmet saved her life

Of course, I'm not really typing this. For you see, I died 20 years ago after walking into a lamp-pole while not paying attention and I wasn't wearing a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Force of habit probably, but I still wouldn't head out for a spin without a helmet. Feels sorta naked without.

Likewise motorcycling without gloves, just doesn't feel right.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Steoller

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Force of habit probably, but I still wouldn't head out for a spin without a helmet. Feels sorta naked without.

Likewise motorcycling without gloves, just doesn't feel right.

I think we can all agree gloves should be mandatory for any handle-bar related activity.

No, I am not joking.

Are you a hand surgeon? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

On your bike: 12 reasons to get cycling
    Better tax incentives, more cycle lanes and it’s the best money-saving exercise

Looks like he badly overestimated the cost of a helmet for someone starting out, by about 300%

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/cycling-offers/bike-helmet/p46568

he says €10-€40 for a helmet in the article?

• Advertisement

he says €10-€40 for a helmet in the article?

He says to budget for €40 for a helmet, which seems over the top to me.

i'd argue that if you *are* going to buy a helmet, you may as well spend a bit more than 10 or 15 quid on one.

Should be budgeting €300+ for a carbon helmet with matte finish and extra wind tunnel vents :pac:

i'd argue that if you *are* going to buy a helmet, you may as well spend a bit more than 10 or 15 quid on one.

Would a starter cyclist get any value for the extra spend over the standard Lidl or Aldi one?

Would a starter cyclist get any value for the extra spend over the standard Lidl or Aldi one?

I've a couple of cheap ones from Aldi and elsewhere and they serve me just fine for going to work and plodding around town. No way I'd wear them on a long spin though, the difference in ventilation and weight between those and my Kask one is night and day.

I'd question my sanity though if I spent €300 on one :D

possibly, for reasons of fit or comfort, or ventilation as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

AFAIK - The CRIVIT helmets that Lidl sell do comply with EN 1078 and based on my personal experience in a recent accident which I hit a car at 30 kmph, the helmet did it's job and took the impact. I have a broken collar bone and knees grazed but no head injury, I did not even feel the impact even though the helmet was damaged in the accident. The more expensive models are better for the reasons outlined in previous comments but they should all comply with the standard.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,586 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I used a Lidl helmet for the last 8yrs and it was fine but I recently switched to a €40 BBB helmet and the difference in the inner lining is huge so I would definitely pay the extra if I change again.

As for crash protection I've never had to try it out on any big crashes but it looks and feels like there would be no difference between the 2

i wonder who makes the helmets lidl and aldi sell, could well be one of the large helmet brands?

• Advertisement

AFAIK - The CRIVIT helmets that Lidl sell do comply with EN 1078

Every helmet sold with the description "bicycle helmet" or equivalent in the Single Market has to meet that standard. Most of them only meet that standard though, and it's a very modest standard.

Advertisement