Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This game is fun, more than I thought it would be :D

Played about 2 hours but got a nice dose of variation, wasn't all just run n' gun. The Commanders who radio for backup are a good addition as it makes you think how to act; Silently or Rambo.........and with dual-wield you destroy the place, I love to take the turret with me and turn Nazis to mush. :pac:

I like that there's plenty of choices in terms of paths, makes it feel much less linear than other modern shooters and encourages, but not force you, to go explore.

I'm impressed so far and I'll echo that the voice acting and story so far is solid, game runs very well for me so not having any fps issues on high settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Manach wrote: »
    As it set in the 60s. any side missions to deal with hippies?

Alternate history, no hippies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

How much difference is there between the two timelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

One thing I like especially is how "easy" it is to take down a Nazi, they're not sponges for bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭hardweir

Really enjoyed this,great variety,graphics are good(xbox one) and voice acting etc are excellent.
    I will say that it was very short and the difficulty even on uber seemed very easy.Played through it twice since tuesday,taking the stealthy option where available the first time through.
    Did like their decision to use health packs instead of regenerating health although i would suggest playing on uber first time around.

• Advertisement

Duggy747 wrote: »
    One thing I like especially is how "easy" it is to take down a Nazi, they're not sponges for bullets.

I'm on the hardest difficulty. Yes they don't take much but I have died a couple of times and all my own fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm on the hardest difficulty. Yes they don't take much but I have died a couple of times and all my own fault.

Yes the risk of a quick death is there and thats what I like about it, it's not cheap or the games fault when it happens, it takes away any frustration and gives you the drive to try again and not be so silly the next time or to think ahead and look for cover before moving.

calex71 wrote: »
    Yes the risk of a quick death is there and thats what I like about it, it's not cheap or the games fault when it happens, it takes away any frustration and gives you the drive to try again and not be so silly the next time or to think ahead and look for cover before moving.

This also complements the case that it forced me to look elsewhere to approach a given situation. I kept storming one particular room with an officer and died like 5 times. Only copped it at the 6th attempt that I could enter a vent and sneak around and stealth kill the officer thus eliminating the alarm situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Really enjoying this. Haven't enjoyed a game this much in ages.

Dialogue is great aswell.

Throwing this out in case people miss them but with spoilers.

When you are at the base/safehouse always have a good look around, and always sleep especially during chapter 9!!!!!!

I noticed as I quit without saving that different cutscenes can trigger depending on your actions too like in chapter 5
    when you have to find the file in Max's room if you go see the guy and ask about it you will see one , but if you bypass him and get the file you get another one entirely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Throwing this out in case people miss them but with spoilers.

When you are at the base/safehouse always have a good look around, and always sleep especially during chapter 9!!!!!!

I noticed as I quit without saving that different cutscenes can trigger depending on your actions too like in chapter 5
    when you have to find the file in Max's room if you go see the guy and ask about it you will see one , but if you bypass him and get the file you get another one entirely

I enjoy sleeping in the safe house especially upstairs. Won't say much more as I can't do spoilers on the phone. Def the best game I have played in ages and for me the first must have on ps4

CptMackey wrote: »
    I enjoy sleeping in the safe house especially upstairs. Won't say much more as I can't do spoilers on the phone. Def the best game I have played in ages and for me the first must have on ps4

Ha yes the
    Wolf 3D level
    :D

SLeeping in your designated bed in chapter 9 gives you a
    rather strange cutscene with Tekla
    sleeping in that bed in each chapter gives you a
    permanent health boost pick up beside the bed on waking

Ha yes the
    Wolf 3D level
    :D

SLeeping in your designated bed in chapter 9 gives you a
    rather strange cutscene with Tekla
    sleeping in that bed in each chapter gives you a
    permanent health boost pick up beside the bed on waking
    I keep dying I can't pass it.

I keep dying I can't pass it.
    Bet it was the bit where you open a door and there are like 3 or 4 Nazis right behind it
    I know thats what got me.

There is no reward for passing it nor is there anything more than
    that level that I saw when I beat it, when I hit the lift at the end I was expecting more
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Cracking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

alot has been said about the gameplay and story, but can I throw out a thumbs up for the soundtrack, there is some wonderfully atmospheric music in the game that are not your usual bombastic war parade, very sombre music at some points.

I'm thinking particularly the music on the Gibraltar bridge level

On last level at the moment, but i've been playing through on hard it did feel too easy up until they introduced the fire and rocket soldiers, these f*ckers are harder to kill then the damn super soldiers and the fire ones carry shotguns that if they close the distance on you they will kill you in one shot, there are some specific nasty chokepoints in the game where they show up and kill me over and over and over
    straight after you return to London and you just smashed in through the window, one shows up here and cause you are already in a corner its a race to put him down (via shooting his explosive cannisters or just laying into him) before he closes the gap and skullf*cks you

Will prob finish it tomorrow, but I've played it solidly 3 nights in a row now and will do a fourth tomorrow, thats longer then it took for me to finish bioshock infinite (which I also played on hard first time through)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was on the fence with this one.

Probably beggers belief to get one for a good price in store in Ireland.

Might need to buy online and wait which is sucks considering all weekend plans for cancelled haha.

Bet it was the bit where you open a door and there are like 3 or 4 Nazis right behind it
    I know thats what got me.

There is no reward for passing it nor is there anything more than
    that level that I saw when I beat it, when I hit the lift at the end I was expecting more
    :(

Exactly the place where I keep dying. So it doesnt matter if you pass it??

I must have missed the permanent health boosts at least three times :(

TheDoc wrote: »
    Was on the fence with this one.

Probably beggers belief to get one for a good price in store in Ireland.

Might need to buy online and wait which is sucks considering all weekend plans for cancelled haha.

Your in for a nice suprise if you pick this bad boy up.

Saw the side by sides on digital foundry early , can't post the link now but a google will see folks right.

Runs near identical on ps4 and one at 1080p and 60FPS, so makes me wonder what the ID engine has that they are the 1st to achieve this on a crossplatform title, I'm not to up on the tech ins and outs of these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Right I think I need this game. I've waited too long.

One question, can you still bayonet someone in the face/throat for that blood gurrgley death?

Saw the side by sides on digital foundry early , can't post the link now but a google will see folks right.

Runs near identical on ps4 and one at 1080p and 60FPS, so makes me wonder what the ID engine has that they are the 1st to achieve this on a crossplatform title, I'm not to up on the tech ins and outs of these things.

You can see the simlarities from Rage with engine usage. In fairness iD tech 5 is highly optimized so understandable they could get 1080p / 60FPS.

Rage ran @ 60fps on the x360 a game that I really enjoyed + the DLC.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Right I think I need this game. I've waited too long.

One question, can you still bayonet someone in the face/throat for that blood gurrgley death?

Havent used a bayonet but I'm only a few hours in. You can stab people and throw knives if that tickles your fancy which includes the blood gurrgly deaths.

Stealth / Knife melee aspects are very well implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Nice one.

My favourite part of the last game was storming the Nazi mansion and throat stabbing every single one that came up or down the stairs.

Of all the weapons and abilities that I ended up with in that game, a knife on the end of that awesome rifle was one of my favourite things to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Havent used a bayonet but I'm only a few hours in. You can stab people and throw knives if that tickles your fancy which includes the blood gurrgly deaths.

Stealth / Knife melee aspects are very well implemented.

Just started yesterday. Was lining up my first knife throwing kill. Nazi doesn't see me, *giggle*. Threw the knife expecting it to fly ala MW2 style like an arrow.
    Threw it like a girl, clanked around the target's ankles who proceeded to turn around and shoot at me. Need to get used to the mechanics. Dying to get out of work and have a real go at it.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Just started yesterday. Was lining up my first knife throwing kill. Nazi doesn't see me, *giggle*. Threw the knife expecting it to fly ala MW2 style like an arrow.
    Threw it like a girl, clanked around the target's ankles who proceeded to turn around and shoot at me. Need to get used to the mechanics. Dying to get out of work and have a real go at it.

Yea, knife physics :pac:

I always aim above the head and the dirty Nazi gets it right in the noggin :D

Am I imagining things or did I see enemies die by friendly fire a few times :confused:

Especially if they get between you and a shotgunner.

Am I imagining things or did I see enemies die by friendly fire a few times :confused:

Especially if they get between you and a shotgunner.

You are correct. They attack each other if hit by friendly fire ala Doom :D

Edit* oh you mean your allies?? I thought you were referring to the enemies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Normal nazi soldiers = fun to fight
    Giant nazi robots = not fun to fight.

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    Normal nazi soldiers = fun to fight
    Giant nazi robots = not fun to fight.

Plasma grenade followed my dual shotguns are your freinds ;)

Robot pwnage

Advertisement