Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just bought this on the US PSN store. It downloaded 5gb and installed and then the 5gb patch. I played the first level and then for the second it is saying wait for the content to download and install but I can't see the PS4 downloading anymore of the 52gb I should have. I look at the game info and it's says 15/52 gb but no downloading indicator. Very poor layout imo. I have no idea on what the console is or isn't doing and I'm waiting around like a thick waiting for chapter 2 to install. I'd rather it just took the whole 52 gigs instead of stopping and installing at 5gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Anyone having performance issues? It seems to be CPU bound, I have an i5 4670K and no matter whether on low or ultra settings the framerate still keeps dropping to low 30's regularly. I tried it on my laptop, which has a low end i3 and a respectable GT640, can barely even get playable framerates on low settings. (drops into teen figures).

I'm playing on an i7 860 with 8GB RAM and a 7850 and it's playing in high at 1080p60 pretty consistently. So it's running well on a pretty old computer with a mid range GPU.

According to the Steam page, an i7 or AMD equivalent is required. So I guess you don't have enough cores!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Just bought this on the US PSN store. It downloaded 5gb and installed and then the 5gb patch. I played the first level and then for the second it is saying wait for the content to download and install but I can't see the PS4 downloading anymore of the 52gb I should have. I look at the game info and it's says 15/52 gb but no downloading indicator. Very poor layout imo. I have no idea on what the console is or isn't doing and I'm waiting around like a thick waiting for chapter 2 to install. I'd rather it just took the whole 52 gigs instead of stopping and installing at 5gb.

That happened to me also when playing Wolfenstein.

I wish they would at least put the download progress for the whole game in the Notification section.

Finally gave this ago, it's been sitting on my steam list since release day but I was away and only getting round to it now. Spent an hour at it this afternoon and really loving what I see. It's an old school shooter that doesn't simply coast along on nostalgia. It's challenging but never unfairly so, when you die it's because you did something wrong and on Uber the game never seems like it's trying to punish you for the sake of it. Performance wise I've had no issues and am running everything on high with no slow down or stutter.

Didn't realise that this was a direct continuation of the story being told in Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein so decided to reinstall RTCW and play through it before I got much further into the New Order. Really enjoying revisiting RTCW, it's a decidedly old fashioned and unsophisticated shooter and all the better for it, been some time since I've had quite so much fun killing nazi scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I didn't realise that and just checked it up on Wikipedia to read the plot since it's been so long since I've played it. And I noticed that there was another Wolfenstein game in 2009 that I don't remember at all.

I'm loving this game, though. It's great fun, and as you say Darko, when you die it's because of you making a mistake, not the game being unfair no matter what the difficulty. The only thing that bothers me about it (other than the occasional pop up textures) is that the cutter should have had unlimited batteries. As it is, you know you have to use it as the charger is always right beside the thing you've to cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The cutter
    upgrades to include batteries later in the game

Got stuck on a level near the end and got really frustrated. Started the whole thing again on a lower difficulty. It was a petulant display of "Oh you think that's funny I'll show you Wolfenstein" , as I would have got through the bit with a bit of patience.

There's not much difference in the two timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Finally finished it on uber. Was a hard road buts it done. Best game I have played in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Haven't done a replay yet, probably will this weekend. Still finding myself listening to the soundtrack, some great tunes on it.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Haven't done a replay yet, probably will this weekend. Still finding myself listening to the soundtrack, some great tunes on it.
    It's quality. As is the voice acting.

• Advertisement

just beat it
    anyone else get hypnotised by the final credits?
    I believe I believe I believe

Finished up Return to Castle Wolfenstein the other night and jumped right into Wolfenstein 2009 and the differences were obvious from the get go. The difficulty level between the two is night and day. On it's hardest setting RTCW is an unforgivingly old school shooter that if you're not careful will leave you facing a boss with no way to beat them. Death is frequent and often feels unfair, it's a game that that simply wouldn't be made these days as there is no hand holding or prompts. You're dumped into the game and told to survive. Finishing it was incredibly satisfying though not an experience I'm in any hurry to repeat anytime soon.

Wolfenstein 2009 is fantastic fun but even on it's hardest setting it's too easy. I breezed through the game in a few sittings and never once felt like I was being challenged. There's some great ideas in play but it all feels so slight when compared to what came before.

After Wolfenstein it was straight into The New Order of which I'm just starting the mental institute level and I have to say that so far it's the gaming surprise of the year if not much longer. It's a lovingly crafted shooter with the emphasis on skill rather than dumb run and gun. It's a game which is challenging but never unfairly so, on it's highest difficulty setting it's fun and there is no sense that the game is balanced unfairly against you. What really makes it such a gem is the love that has gone into crafting the game, the mental institute cut scene is absolutely gorgeous and the Deathshead scene before it really hits home. This isn't a game to throw on and go mad killing Nazi scum, well it is but at the same time it's clear that the developers have much more going on that I have a feeling that The New Order could over the next 8 or so hours become something I want to revist time and again.

When you've finished come back here and give me tips how to beat
    the London Monitor
    and
    the final Deaths Head boss
    on Uber difficulty 'cos I know I'm going to struggle with them.

Playing through on Uber at present without much problem but the two idiots above are going to cause me lots of grief :)

Agree what you say about the Asylum. It's really well done - I was watching all the cut scenes, which I almost never do. Up to that point you're really only playing the intro, which kind of blew me away.

Tip:
    In Fergus' timeline sleep when you are between missions in the HQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

gimli2112 wrote: »
    When you've finished come back here and give me tips how to beat
    the London Monitor
    and
    the final Deaths Head boss
    on Uber difficulty 'cos I know I'm going to struggle with them.

Playing through on Uber at present without much problem but the two idiots above are going to cause me lots of grief :)

Agree what you say about the Asylum. It's really well done - I was watching all the cut scenes, which I almost never do. Up to that point you're really only playing the intro, which kind of blew me away.

Tip:
    In Fergus' timeline sleep when you are between missions in the HQ

What ???????????
    Deathshead
    on uber takes 20 seconds max :pac:

The other one a bit more care but I think I did that on 999 mode so had far more leeway. But for
    deathshead
    simply
    drop down , run left pick up rockets, up the stairs drop into the hole, crouch and let him have it with all the rockets and nades you have, if he's still not dead he should be pretty close , just shoot him or run to the back of the area for more nades and rockets

Ah ok, I just finished it once on normal and got throught it easy enough(kinda) but without any strategy, which was never going to work on uber.

The more I play the game the more I love it, it's just a hell of a lot of fun and better yet the shooting is top notch. What really makes the game are the small touches, things such as the ability to shot a downed soldier in the head so that you can take his helmet and gain some armor.

Been trying to make the game last as long as possible so been enjoying it a chapter at a time or so. Just finished the Moon mission and honestly this not just the gaming surprise of the past few years but one of the finest FPS ever released. It's an intelligent, emotional and damn entertaining game that features a gratuitous sex scene that doesn't fell like it's there simply to titillate. I expected a big dumb shoot and instead have gotten a game which tackles some of the most adult themes imaginable, it really is just a fantastic title that deserves it's place on every best of list at the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Been trying to make the game last as long as possible so been enjoying it a chapter at a time or so. Just finished the Moon mission and honestly this not just the gaming surprise of the past few years but one of the finest FPS ever released. It's an intelligent, emotional and damn entertaining game that features a gratuitous sex scene that doesn't fell like it's there simply to titillate. I expected a big dumb shoot and instead have gotten a game which tackles some of the most adult themes imaginable, it really is just a fantastic title that deserves it's place on every best of list at the end of the year.

One of the most touching scenes is with the girl with aspergers, (I assumed that was what it was sorry if i got that wrong) be sure to talk to often to get it when at the hid out and sleep every time you go there.

It has it's "hoorah" moments when needed but I agree it's a fine example of FPS with a heart and soul.

calex71 wrote: »
    One of the most touching scenes is with the girl with aspergers, (I assumed that was what it was sorry if i got that wrong) be sure to talk to often to get it when at the hid out and sleep every time you go there.

It has it's "hoorah" moments when needed but I agree it's a fine example of FPS with a heart and soul.

The Wolfenstein 3D moments are just a joy, think I may have punched the air the first time I played it. Really just makes the game, it's a small touch that shows there's a sense of humour to it all. All I have left is the final mission and then I'm thinking I'll play back through it and try the other timeline and spend more time on the enigma codes. Found them all but never really looked for any info on how to decipher them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So, I have a PS3, is it worth a shot? Or is the PS3 version buggy and look sh!te?

• Advertisement

So, I have a PS3, is it worth a shot? Or is the PS3 version buggy and look sh!te?

I'm playing on PC with all settings turned to ultra and it looks great, there's a real cinematic feel to it though I can't imagine it would look terrible on the PS3. Why not check out some videos on you tube or if I'm not mistaken there is a demo of it on the PS3.

It actually holds up fairly well graphically on the PS3. I don't know what the frame rate is like on it though. On the PS4 it's silky smooth at 60fps the whole way through with no slow down at all. Best first person shooter I have played in some time, I'm glad they didn't bother with any multiplayer modes and put all their time and effort into making a cracking single player experience. Other game developers could learn a thing or two here when making shooters in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

It actually holds up fairly well graphically on the PS3. I don't know what the frame rate is like on it though. On the PS4 it's silky smooth at 60fps the whole way through with no slow down at all. Best first person shooter I have played in some time, I'm glad they didn't bother with any multiplayer modes and put all their time and effort into making a cracking single player experience. Other game developers could learn a thing or two here when making shooters in future.

This is totally what I want from most games, no interest in Multiplayer online stuff at all.

I think I may be a copy today. Now, should I buy new or second hand... hmm....

What is most surprising about the game is just how emotional it is. Most FPS treat the story as an afterthought or try to make it cinematic by simply having set piece after set piece but Wolfenstein is all about the story and it's far more intelligent than you'd every expect. B.J. is one of gamings most tortured and interesting characters and there are numerous moments where you wish the cut scene would play out a little longer, the standard of voice acting is superb and the cinematic just gorgeous. The score by Fredrik Thordendal, who is the guitarist in Meshuggah is perfect, it captures the mood perfectly and rather than create it actually adds to it. Games like COD use the score to tell you that this is "EPIC" but here it's understated and all the better for it. Honestly, I cannot recommend Wolfenstein: The New Order enough. It is the game of the year thus far and it's going to take something truly special to change that over the coming months

Have to mention, I love the score that plays during the cut scene when
    you are on the shuttle on your way to the moon

Just finished it there and it really is just an exception game. Really cannot recommend it enough, it's the most fun I've had with a game in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Just started playing it myself last night after finishing the main story line of Watch Dogs. It's certainly a welcome distraction and reminds me of the shooters of old which is not bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

Is it anything like as good as return to castle wolfenstein? Loved that game on xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

ummmm

I have been playing this game for a few days now and I just can't seem to like it.

The first day I played for 1 hour, the second day I played for 20 minutes, 3rd day 5 minutes and today for around 1 m and I just can't seem to find it interesting at all.

It is not the game so much but the look and feel, maybe its because I am used to BF and Titanfall but I can't get my head around it. Most of the times I get killed is while trying to grab some ammo/armour.

I also find the movements very weird (specially aiming) but seeing how much people are loving it I must be doing something wrong... maybe is because I haven't turned on my xbox one for 2 months and I need to get used to the controller. I will give it another try next week

• Advertisement

Bohrio wrote: »
    ummmm

I have been playing this game for a few days now and I just can't seem to like it.

The first day I played for 1 hour, the second day I played for 20 minutes, 3rd day 5 minutes and today for around 1 m and I just can't seem to find it interesting at all.

It is not the game so much but the look and feel, maybe its because I am used to BF and Titanfall but I can't get my head around it. Most of the times I get killed is while trying to grab some ammo/armour.

I also find the movements very weird (specially aiming) but seeing how much people are loving it I must be doing something wrong... maybe is because I haven't turned on my xbox one for 2 months and I need to get used to the controller. I will give it another try next week

If you're running and gunning then you're playing it wrong. It's a game where you have to use your head and plan each move, running into the open to get health or anything else will generally result in you being killed.

Advertisement