Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Modem upgrade

• 02-09-2013 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I just moved into a shared apartment. The UPC is not in my name but we have the Cisco EPC2425 and 50mb package. Now the wireless(802.11G) in that routher is much too slow to share 50mb. Would we be entitled to a free modem upgrade or is it out responsibility to buy a router with faster wireless?
    Would just like to know where we stand before asking the person who pays the bill to contact UPC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If its a 2425 its a 30mb package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't know much about UPC as it has been years since I lived in an area served by them.

Is the 30Mb package still available?

This shows 50Mb as the slowest.
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

802.11G can only sustain about half of the speed required for 30Mb anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you still have the older modem it means your housemate would have signed up for 30, 25, 20 etc back when those speeds were sold.

Changing to an external router for wifi won't up the speed of the package, so upgrading the 2425 is the only option. Just get him to ring UPC for an upgrade.

That's probably it, would upc not send out a new modem when they do the upgrades or do they expect everyone to contact them?

After some more searching on this I think a new 12 month contract has to be signed to get the upgrade. He probably will not want to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Upc will definitely charge you. Happened to us last year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It seems to be policy now that all upgrades require a 12 month contract also you may wish to read up on the comments about the latest modem/router that UPC are issuing as standard.

Advertisement