Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMQ difficulties

Options
  • 02-09-2013 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I have struggled with the EMQ examination in 1st year grad med. Can someone advise me as to their strategies that they have used to succeed in EMQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

I suspect you were hoping for a little bit more than this but the only way really is to practice lots. The pastest books are good in my opinion, you'll never find them in the college library (at least in UL anyway) buy yourself about 3 and make your way through them all (giving them a 2nd look wouldn't hurt either) and do the same for SAQs. I really liked the "Complete SAQs for medical finals" and "Complete EMQ/MCQs for medical finals" books. I know they are aimed at final year meds but if you work in a group you might be able to pick some of the more appropriate questions which you might be expected to answer. Also ask people in the year ahead of you for some idea of the questions which have come up before.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Jim79

"I suspect you were hoping for a little bit more than this but the only way really is to practice lots".

Yes, you are right i feel like everybody knows some secret that i dont.

i find the wording in the EMQ books to be simpler/ more straight forward. in other words much more manageable than the examination wording. but i will keep an open mind and follow your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Never ever (ever!) read the options first. Write down your first instinctive answer beside each question, THEN look at the options. Once I started doing this, I flew through them.

Advertisement