Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there still a "Housing List"

Options
  • 02-09-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if someone in the know could answer the above question of "is there still a "housing list"?
    With all the new schemes launched by South Dublin county council over the past few years (Applicant Sourced Housing, Choice Based Letting, Rental Accommodation Scheme, Affordable Housing, etc.) are people who registered with SDCC years ago still climbing the famous list with the aim of being offered a council house one day?
    I have been told contradictory answers to this from uninformed people, one said the list no longer exists and applicants can ONLY procure council housing through the above mentioned schemes, and one said the list DOES still exist and when you are offered one of the above schemes it is an indication that you are near the top of the housing list and will soon be contacted by SDCC and offered a council house.
    Anyone who works in SDCC or knows for certain, please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Try Phoning the Council themselves

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

Yes there are thousands of people on housing lists in South Dublin, the schemes mentioned are options for people on the list but there is not enough available to meet the demand. Affordable Housing is no longer in practice since the bust. I'm genuinely shocked that anyone might think the housing crisis has been resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Darocketeer

"The housing crisis has been resolved"... WHAT? Nobody said anything like that. The question was whether or not the SDCC still operates on a waiting list form of social housing today. I'm seeking social housing so I didn't think I was the only one! Thanks for the answer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

Affordable housing is gone considering the property prices are so low now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The model is now that the Council's will link the people on the housing list up with private rented accommodation and mediate any issues. There is very little choice as to where in the particular County that will be. Once you are provided with a place that way, or you refuse either 2 or 3 times then you are considered to have been dealt with and taken off the list. The days of the Councils building estates or even small developments for social housing with exchequer money are gone probably forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The model is now that the Council's will link the people on the housing list up with private rented accommodation and mediate any issues.
    Sorry, but that's not true. The Council has no role with private rented accomodation.

Social housing is still social housing. Each council has a stock of social housing, and has a social housing waiting list. They also work with Housing Associations like Cluid and HAIL to house tenants from the social housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

To answer the OP, there *is* still a Housing List but more and more people who receive Rent Allowance are gradually being offered the Ras and ASH schemes.

I say "offered", they're basically told "take the scheme or come off the Housing List" because there is such high demand for council homes.
    I predict that eventually Rent Allowance will be replaced fully with RAS and ASH.

If you've been on the Housing List only a year or two and you're offered the RAS/ASH scheme, my advice is to take them because it's a long wait for a council home.

Advertisement