Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurses know medicine like air hostesses know aviation

Options
  • 02-09-2013 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

In my experience of working in hospitals, nurses are often quicker than a consultant to give you unsolicited medical advice, often with a fag in one hand and a pint in the other (...after work obviously). On a lot of the HSE sites I've worked on in the past, the proportion of nurses who smoke and are overweight seems crazily high. Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to slate nurses. They do amazing work, it just seems that they don't, in my experience, link their professional knowledge to their own health choices in the same way that many physios or doctors do. Just recently, myself and the other half have gotten some seriously off the wall advice about breastfeeding from nurse friends (...all formula advocates, the majority of whom didn't breast feed at all).

Do nurses fully engage with medicine?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Don't be a bitter critter just because she wouldn't suck yer knob while you were in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Nurses would be extremely stressed out from their jobs so a fag and high calorie foods would help it to lower their stress levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

love when people make generalisations about a group of people based on seeing 1/2 people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nurses are sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I always understood that their primary function was more to care for sick patients as opposed to actually making them better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Anyone notice the size of our Health minister??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Have you seen the state of our health ministers over the past few years?

Much like the HSE, bloated and fuck all use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Chucken wrote: »
    And the previous one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

We have a proud history of obese Health ministers.

• Advertisement

...and op?....Cabin Crew* btw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

What about the previous morbidly obese one with a penchant for over priced chocolates at the tax payers expense who's on a massive pension because "she worked really hard"?

wazky wrote: »
    Have you seen the state of our health ministers over the past few years?

Much like the HSE, bloated and fuck all use.
    And the previous one.
    We have a proud history of obese Health ministers.
    somuj wrote: »
    What about the previous morbidly obese one with a penchant for over priced chocolates at the tax payers expense who's on a massive pension because "she worked really hard"?

Ok. Ok. They're all a shower of fat yokes.

I work in a hospital, only a very tiny proportion of the nurses and doctors there are overweight, an even tinier amount smoke - a handful at most. So no, I don't think your generalisations are accurate.

Besides, we all know smoking is bad for us, and most of us know what food is bad for us, but there are still a huge amount of overweight smokers in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Nurses are forever being bought boxes of chocolates by grateful patients and/or their families. You really need willpower of STEEL to avoid the tins of Roses and boxes of Celebrations at the nurses stations. It's no wonder the pounds creep on. Sure everyone knows that high-sugar foods are bad for you. Still lots of fatties though, apart from nurses!! It happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Don't like that term.

'I shagged a cabin crew last night' sounds like you had sex with an oversized jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Probably some nurses will engage more fully with medicine then others - as would be the case for any other profession, some people will choose to apply more of their working knowledge to their daily lives than others. You can't paint them all with one brush because of your experiences.

And if I put up with some of the stuff nurses have to put up with, a fag and a pint or two would be the least of it.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Nurses are forever being bought boxes of chocolates by grateful patients and/or their families. You really need willpower of STEEL to avoid the tins of Roses and boxes of Celebrations at the nurses stations. It's no wonder the pounds creep on. Sure everyone knows that high-sugar foods are bad for you. Still lots of fatties though, apart from nurses!! It happens.

I dont know about that. I tried to give a box of chocs to the nurses that took care of a family member and was told that they're not allowed to accept gifts.
    Don't like that term.

'I shagged a cabin crew last night' sounds like you had sex with an oversized jeep.

Thats a crew cab, ya Backwards Man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

I wouldnt tar all with the same brush, an interaction with a few doesnt equal the same for the rest. Also what has bodyshape got to do with it? are you saying obese nurses are terrible at their job compared to skinny or average sized nurses? bodyshape and size has nothing to knowledge of medicine or medical ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Thats a crew cab, ya Backwards Man!
    *Cabin crew member (ooh matron!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Happens in every walk of life.

When someone clearly doesn't know what they're talking about in your professional field, it's usually pointless to point out their errors.

No, if there's any chance that they could ever be of help to you in the future, massage their ego by asking them for their (unadulterated, wrong, daft, inaccurate) advice. Promptly disregard said advice, but the asking might still be profitable.

Happens with Guards and solicitors quite a bit. Vets and pet owners as well apparently. Probably every profession where there is a knowledge imbalance.

I'd say lots of Doctors just humour nurses.

Its like some hairdressers who turn up to work looking like they were dragged through a hedge backwards....they can still do hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I dont know about that. I tried to give a box of chocs to the nurses that took care of a family member and was told that they're not allowed to accept gifts.

I *think* they can accept things like chocolates and cakes, foodie type things that they can share with their colleagues. They are not allowed to accept more personal things like jewellery, vouchers, money (!), those sorts of gifts, that would certainly be inappropriate as well as not allowed.

The nurse in question may have been trying to watch the auld calorie intake and told you that so you wouldn't get offended when she refused the chocs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

or an analogy that makes sense. Do air hostesses do misleading safety dances and tell you the plane is blown to its destination by sneezing dragons now? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

In the spirit of generalisations:

- Most nurses are of a rural persuasion.
    - Most rural women are of a smoker persuasion.
    - Most rural women are of chunky persuasion.

Ipso-facto......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

In the spirit of generalisations:

- Most nurses are of a rural persuasion.
    - Most rural women are of a smoker persuasion.
    - Most rural women are of chunky persuasion.

Ipso-facto......

Another one also, rural women are from the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

jr22 wrote: »

Do you fully engage with Troll?

Muise... wrote: »
    or an analogy that makes sense. Do air hostesses do misleading safety dances and tell you the plane is blown to its destination by sneezing dragons now? :confused:

Yes they do :/

Read the thread title ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭tosspot15

They all know the health implications, and see the effects they have on people. But thats not going to stop them. Why would it if its something they enjoy?
    What off the wall breast feeding advice have your nurse friends given you? Bear in mind op, that not every single nurse and doctor is going to be good and knowledgeable about their job

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

might be something to do with the 12 hour days and barely minimum wages have something to do with it. the putting up with the worst of jobs and still being warm and friendly while cleaning the crap off your grannies backside or stitching your face back together after you drunkenly fall on it.

Also nurses tend to catch a lot of doctors mistakes because of their experience and learned skills built up over years of working in the same job, as opposed to doctors who progresses through their careers as fast as possible to a consultant position .

in short don't be a bell end , thank a nurse kindly and if you don't want to take their advice don't take it

Advertisement