Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculus I as an elective

Options
  • 02-09-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

hi i was just wonderin if anyone has done calculus I as an elective before and if it was relatively easy. bear in mind, i love maths, but i am doing veterinary so it is no way related

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It's not too bad but the grading is quite rough, I think it's 90% for an A+, 80 for an A and 70 for an A-. There are definitely easier first year electives to pick but if you like maths it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 se

ya the only problem is the grading, other than that, its really really easy for a math lover, its all abt functions(continuity..), differentiations... etc basic really.. !! and its all single variable calculus. !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭HistoryKitty

Hey I did it last year in my course :D Its a lovely module and the lecturer is amazing :D Its quite tough though but if you go to all the lectures you'll be fine :) Make sure to make the most out of the easy continuous assessment marks :)

Em it deals with functions, basic calculus, asymptotes, continuity. If you like maths i'd definitely do it :) Also look into linear algebra and combinatorics and number theory as they are nice math modules :) Beware calculus 1 means two 9 am starts :O

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I'm going into science stage 4 now but we did 2 maths modules in stage 1, calculus and matrices and vectors. Matrices and vectors was a much better module. It was better organised, the lecturer was better (I did it in semester 2. there were 2 different lecturers but I didn't hear anything bad about the semester 1 guy) and it was just overall stress free with better grades. If I had to choose a first year introductory maths module I'd go with matrices and vectors for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Victoria. wrote: »
    I'm going into science stage 4 now but we did 2 maths modules in stage 1, calculus and matrices and vectors. Matrices and vectors was a much better module. It was better organised, the lecturer was better (I did it in semester 2. there were 2 different lecturers but I didn't hear anything bad about the semester 1 guy) and it was just overall stress free with better grades. If I had to choose a first year introductory maths module I'd go with matrices and vectors for sure!

is that still running? you got a coarse code for that module?

• Advertisement
Advertisement