Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement timer switch for APT timer

Options
  • 02-09-2013 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I have an APT timer switch connected to Gas boiler (as it doesnt have its own timer) that has stopped timing. i cant get the back box out as it is inconveniently tiled over. I bought a replacement timer in woodies that fits the box but i didnt install it as there seems to be an extra wire!
    The earth is attached to the back of the box in the wall and then going from right to left looking at the back of the switch there is
    blue -> neutral
    brown -> live
    black -> eh???

So not knowing what to do with the black wire and if it was coming from the mains or boiler i left it. There isnt anywhere on the new timer to put it, it only has terminals for live an neutral
    Any ideas? or where i can get a matching wiring replacement switch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

if you read the top or the bottom of the timer it will tell you what each connector block is for. I think its nuetral, Live and switched live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

People who cannot grasp one of the simplest circuits threw a basic timer have NO place messing about with wires and electricity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

if you read the top or the bottom of the timer it will tell you what each connector block is for. I think its nuetral, Live and switched live

Thanks, you were spot on with switched live. I only read the boiler's manual after posting. What threw me at the time is the permanent live is connected to the mains by wiring it to the mains live input in the timer switch. That and there are only numbers 1-3 on the block. I didnt have a multimeter or phase tester with me at the time.
    I did manage to get a new APT switch to replace the original, that at least had a wiring guide in it. For anyone else who may be wondering at a later date the wiring is:
    Mains neutral -> 3
    Mains live ->2
    Appliance neutral -> 3
    Appliance live (or switched live in my boiler's case) -> 1

Another thing i noticed is the boiler says 3amp fuse but the fused spur has a 13amp fuse in it.
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    People who cannot grasp one of the simplest circuits threw a basic timer have NO place messing about with wires and electricity!!
    Thank you for your concern for my safety, if i fry myself you can say you told me so.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

You shud replace the fuse with a 3amp.... Its a common mistake sparks make without checking the rating of the boiler...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mokum

Where can I buy and apt switch, as can't find a seller anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Not hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

I'll try to be a little more helpful ^^^^^ ;)
    Mokum wrote: »
    Where can I buy and apt switch, as can't find a seller anywhere.

Most electrical wholesalers stock them - you won't find them in Woodies or stores like that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The analogue Apt switches are poor quality. My recommendation would be to replace with a quality digital timer switch such as a Siemens RWB7. These are far more reliable, have a boost function, they don't "forget" the time in the event of a power cut and can have different programs for each day of the week. In addition they can be fitted to the same back box as the Apt.

Advertisement