Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Studies 2013

Options
  • 02-09-2013 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey guys, anyone starting on Friday? Haven't seen a thread on this that has been updated lately.

Any current or ex students have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

go to the it class thats held afterwards and your good to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lorna_ls

I have an interview tomorrow for this course, but I dunno if I wil be able to do it because I've two kids and can't commit to Erasmus year?????

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

From an older thread I posted in here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67898912

Might be of use to you.
    Jk_Eire wrote: »
    I posted this sometime last year in an older thread on the same topic. Might be useful to re-post. Best of luck to all.

Started this course in 2004 and got my degree in 2008.
    Took spanish as my main language and spent 3rd year in Spain which was absolutely incredible!
    The course I studied would have had more of a political/historical/cultural slant to it since I know they've changed it around a little bit to give it more business/marketing modules in the last few years. Looking back, and seeing what everybody is up to these days, this has been a good thing since business/marketing will defo boost your employment prospects.

Anyway, I really enjoyed most of my subjects and had a blast. Lecturing staff are great too, for the most part.

A good few of us who have graduated from the course have gotten great jobs and started careers too in the EU Institutions, NGO's, political campaigns, and large multinationals and as teachers where having a language really helps. A good few went on to do master's too.

Nice course to be in. Can be a bit general at times, but if you're anyway into politics, history, the arts, or languages you can really gain a lot from the course. It takes a genuine and active interest though.

To give some advice...

Get involved with the Erasmus students in your class. They throw savage parties, will help you with your language, and will really want to get to know the Irish students.

Take an active interest in EU politics, current affairs and politics in general. I can't stress this enough. You'll get way more from the course if you do and you'll do better academically.

Get the most from your language classes. Try not to miss them and really take an proactive interest in learning your language both in college and in your time. The lecturers will really appreciate you showing off and getting stuck in. Also, in terms of learning, it's all about you. Some students will never like the language aspect of the course and will still speak fairly basic Spanish, or French or whatever after 4 years. If you really get into it, you'll be pretty handy by second year, and speaking like a local by the time you finish 4th year.

Erasmus was mental. Seriously, one the best experiences of my life so far. So many students got seriously stressed about it and really panicked. All you need to do is arrive with some optimism and be ready to enjoy yourself. Everything else just falls into place ( classes, choosing subjects, languages, apartment, friends, etc..) Can be easily done on a shoe string budget too.

If you're interested in a career in an EU related area, these guys are worth get involved with : http://www.europeanmovement.ie/students-and-stagiaires/

Only a tenner for the year and you'll get exposure to a lot of EU topics and events.
    Anyway, enjoy the course.

Advertisement