Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breeding blue tetra?

Options
  • 02-09-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Has anyone tried breeding blue tetra before?
    I had a 25l tank set up with 50/50 rain water and water from main tank, with no gravel and just a small air driven filter and a homemade spawning mop in it. I also covered the tank with a towel as their spawn is supposed to be photosensitive.
    I have two males and a female, female was put in on her own for three days before I added the males. I then covered it up overnight and hoped for the best. I kept them in it for four days and nothing happened, they have since been returned to the main tank to hopefully try again once I get some fresh rainwater - shouldn't have to wait too long. :)

Only thing i could think was temperature, maybe mine was too high and put them off? It was at 26 degrees. Anybody any idea where i'm going wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Tetras are shoaling fish, and ideally you should be keeping them in a group of at least 8. They feel more secure in larger numbers.

Other things you could try:

1: large water change, of lower temperature than the tank water. (so in 25c tank, change 50% with 18-20c water) This simulates flooding season in the wild, which is typical spawning time.

2: At the same time as the water change above, feed them very well. Simulates the ample food that gets stirred up by the flooding.

3: Plants. These fish like to spawn off plants and will attach eggs to them.
    In the wild they spawn off broad leaved plants. So try some Anubias maybe.

4: Cover the back panel with a dark cover. Makes the fish feel more secure. Add caves also.

5: You need soft acidic water (simulates the rains that cause the flooding).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 freem

Thanks for that, plenty to work with there - hoping to try again in a couple of weeks, i'll let you know how I get on

Advertisement