Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derelict house in Black Valley

• 02-09-2013 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have seen alot of photos of this derelict house in the Black Valley, does anybody know where exactly it is located, is it far from the Black Valley Youth Hostel and Church?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

I'm pretty sure that house has been knocked a long time. I have a photo of it taken nearly 30 years ago, in a photo exhibition. A woman bought it because her father was born and reared in that house.

horses.jpg

I think it's as you go from the church towards the Gap, maybe about 500m beyond the church turn left and go into the Black Valley proper and travel into the very end of that valley to where you turn in to the huge wall of the Reeks. The slopes of Cnoc an Chuillinn and Cnoc an Toinne on the right. Going by the mountains rather than the house, but there is a building that is now a shed that the road snakes around there just before you reach the end of the tarred section and it could be that The only other spot in might be is in the western end of the valley as one goes to Lough Brin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

It's still there,
    or at least it was when the Google street view was compiled .
    It's about 10 years since I was that far up the valley.
    A place called Drumluska, pass lough Reagh and it's very near the limit
    of the Google streetview ,going towards lake Curraghmore

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Corbother

Roof is almost gone. Just recently visited it to shoot some photos.

Really trying desperately to establish the history of Drumluska cottage (Molly's Cottage).

Does anybody know what family originated from the cottage?

Who now currently owns the cottage and adjoining piece of land?

Was the cottage inhabited by a number of different families or generations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The house is known as "Molly's Cottage" and is one of the most peaceful places I've ever visited (although it seems to be a bit busier nowadays) it's longitude & latitude are 51.975209, -9.714667 .

I have a friend who knows the neighbours and I plan to meet up with them when I'm down that way and things are a bit easier, hopefully they'll have some more information on the cottage/owners. Here's a picture I took in Autumn a few years back as the original posts link is broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dingle1969

Beautiful

Advertisement