Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boost versus Timer

Options
  • 02-09-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just looking for a quick bit of advice.

Living in a house with a Horstmann E7 timer. First time depending on such a system.

For a small apartment looking to heat enough for maybe two showers a day and one wash up, is it more economical to boost for half an hour rather than depend on the over night timer?

As I said, all this stuff is foreign to me

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

If your electricity tariff has a night rate meter and if the water tank is well insulated I'd recommend setting the timer to heat for several hours during the night (e.g. 2am - 8am to heat up the entire tank... use the 30 minute boost if necessary during the day.

If you are on a single tariff then perhaps set the timer for an hour or two only before you normally have a shower and use the boost 30 minute as required

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

Another question on this topic : Does using the boost itself use more energy than the timer or does it only make use of the cheap night tariff ?

I have such a timer in my new apartment but apart from the morning I do not need hot warm water. I typically get up early and night tariff stops at 8am, by that time I am out of the apartment already on my way to work so even using the boost would use cheaper night energy. Is that correct ?

Advertisement