Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture in a rented apartment

• 02-09-2013 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I recently moved into an apartment with way to much furniture, its packed full of horrible chairs, cabinets and dressers\drawers. I don't have room for my stuff. I've asked the landlord if he could remove what we don;t need but he hasn't been very helpful.

Do I have any right to ask him the take them and has he any obligation to help?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lostintesco

why was this removed?

seems to be back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If you've already moved in then you can ask but the landlord is under no obligation to move the furniture, it's something that should have been agreed before you moved in.

Your landlord may not have storage space for the furniture and therefore not inclined to remove it. He may want it for future tenants.

Is any of it collapsible, stuff you can dismantle and re-assemble when you move out? I know we did that in college one year, there was a load of flat pack furniture that we dismantled carefully and stored under the beds until we were moving out when we put it all back together again.

If the landlord does agree to take some, make sure you adjust your inventory accordingly and get it signed. Similarly if he agrees that you can dump some stuff make sure you get the agreement in writing and attach it to the inventory in case he tries to charge you for it when you move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lostintesco

Thanks I thought\feared that would be the case. I think I will have to price some replacements and make them an offer I hope they don't refuse.

Advertisement