Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone with standard physical (not qwerty) keypad

Options
  • 02-09-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hopefully I'm not double-posting -- I just posted this message but I can't see it on the board...

I got a Nokia Asha 300 today.

Not sure if I'd be able to take it back but I'd like something that can pick up wifi -- preferably also that is a smartphone and that has a standard physical-buttons keypad.

Not a qwerty keypad. I want just the standard numbers -- that's what I find best for texting.

Preferably Nokia.

Does the phone I'm looking for exist? Smartphone that also has a standard-mobile keypad?

I found this: http://www.nokia.com/in-en/phones/phone/nokia-c2-03/offers/ -- and that I think can pick up wifi, so that's one box ticked. But I don't think it's smart phone -- just a touchscreen.

And also, I couldn't see that model any Irish Vodafone or Carphone Warehouse shop...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Problem is a decent smartphone needs a decent screen. Actual keys take too much space so you can only put a half size screen and its too small to work with

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TomJG

That nokia I linked to has a slide-out keypad at the bottom. I reckon the screen size wouldn't be too bad...? But I don't think it's a smart phone -- just a touchscreen.

Does nobody else agree that a real keypad is way better?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

TomJG wrote: »
    That nokia I linked to has a slide-out keypad at the bottom. I reckon the screen size wouldn't be too bad...? But I don't think it's a smart phone -- just a touchscreen.

I used to hate touchscreens untill I tryed my dads htc wildfire. Found it fine. Contract was coming up so I could get a htc desire s for 100 quid. Sed id try it cos they were on donedeal for 250-300 at the time. But I really liked it and have never looked back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

TomJG wrote: »

I am with you - still using my Nokia E7 with slideout keyboard. Despite numerous ding marks where it has been dropped on concrete, it's still going strong and I constantly use it to type out memos, notes, texts and e-mail's. Nothing beats it for speed and accuracy. If you're looking for something new in a bricks and mortar shop, you can forget about getting a QWERTY phone. I'd love to recommend the E7 or something Symbian based, but to be honest it's starting to show its age (lack of processor power + lack of RAM makes browsing slow on today's web). There was an Android HTC Desire Z and a Motorola Milestone released years ago, but you'll struggle to find one of those either. The Blackberry Q10 is an option, but the price is just eye-watering (€500).

How desperate do you want a physical keyboard? :)

Advertisement